Long haul flights

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How can I keep well? I have 2 days of long haul flights to New Zealand next week..how can I keep well? Previously had hypos on plane, mouth /tongue completely dried/I was given 2 tanks if oxygen , and yet I watch what I eat, how often etc. I'm veggie so watch what I have. The flight crew were great and liased with Phoenix Medical Centre, USA . Help????

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How can I keep well? I have 2 days of long haul flights to New Zealand next week..how can I keep well? Previously had hypos on plane, mouth /tongue completely dried/I was given 2 tanks if oxygen , and yet I watch what I eat, how often etc. I'm veggie so watch what I have. The flight crew were great and liased with Phoenix Medical Centre, USA . Help????

Framps, I can't say I've had issues myself on lots of long-haul flights myself, but, could you perhaps desdcribe what your experience has been?

For me, I try to keep moving, and take on board lots of sensible fluids (as opposed to hooch). I also try to sleep on red-eye flights, which helps for me.

Reactions: Framps7

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Find out very hard to sleep..if atv all. I start off ok..but then I can feel really off very quickly ....completely dry mouth, extremely hot then very cold. I never drink ..just tea or water. Staff were great but i did have 2 tanks of oxygen to help me, this lasted a good hour .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This doesn't really sound diabetes related to me. Are you having other health problems? What did you get the oxygen for? Not for the hypo I suppose?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Find out very hard to sleep..if atv all. I start off ok..but then I can feel really off very quickly ....completely dry mouth, extremely hot then very cold. I never drink ..just tea or water. Staff were great but i did have 2 tanks of oxygen to help me, this lasted a good hour .

My OH has real problems sleeping on flights, so I have watched that many times.

Do you eat on the flights, and how different is that to what you might normally eat?

I don't really know what to suggest you try, aside from maybe some meditation to try to really relax yourself from the off. I certainly know if I am in a situation where I've had issues in the past, I'm stressed in anticipation of it happening again. Others may have some useful ideas for you.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Framps7, may I ask, what medications are you prescribed?
And on those flights did you have a glucose meter at the time to use to confirm that your BSLs were low?
As I am ignorant of recent air travel protocols, did the crew use a gadget that fits onto a finger tip to check your oxygen levels before applying oxygen? There are some dangers applying lots of oxygen to people with certain lung conditions..
I assume that after those flights you saw your doctor to try to work out what was happening ?

devans

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not getting access tot he Diabetes Co Uk Cookbooks
I am long term (34 years ) type II. I travel on long haul flights yearly. Plan your flight times carefully. Overnight flights are best for me. Eat and take medication as usual prior to the flight and use the Airport lounges if you need a meal prior to boarding. Food is always better and usually free. Ensure that you have plenty of water to drink. Flight crews are happy to get this as often as you need. Every hour go for a walk around the cabin. I have sleep apnoea and have been able to use my CPAP on LH Flights so I can sleep. Inform the airlines you require a special menu well before you are due to fly.

Above enjoy you trip New Zealand is amazing.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes they checked and liased with medical centre in Phoenix
Hypo's do not as a rule cause a shortage of oxygen. If that happened to you I would speak with your dr. before getting on a plane again.
If you have a hypo while flying and confirmed it with your meter have something sugary and it should clear up in about 15 minutes max.

devans

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not getting access tot he Diabetes Co Uk Cookbooks
Off to New Zealand..via Singapore from Heathrow, then Singapore to NZ
Hope you get to spend time in Singapore. Its an amazing place and Changi Airport is the best in the World. Even a stop over gives time to regroup and recharge .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First time I went via changi it was a longish layover and we had young kids. The airside hotel has a small pool you can access for a small fee. It was very refreshing and welcome. Our were the only kids in case that puts you off. It seemed a well kept secret (til now )

D

Deleted member 308541

I liked those longer lay overs when changing flights at Changi, gives you a chance to stretch your legs, have a couple of decent beers. Some great food to be had as well, I remember the braised abalone very well.

Reactions: Framps7 and HSSS

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Framps7, may I ask, what medications are you prescribed?
And on those flights did you have a glucose meter at the time to use to confirm that your BSLs were low?
As I am ignorant of recent air travel protocols, did the crew use a gadget that fits onto a finger tip to check your oxygen levels before applying oxygen? There are some dangers applying lots of oxygen to people with certain lung conditions..
I assume that after those flights you saw your doctor to try to work out what was happening ?
Hi..yes seen a dr here today in New Zealand. Hes given ne 3 new drugs to take.he said more should be done back home re . Getting my levels down..he wasn't happy they were 14.1 today and previously 12 and 14 again!!!

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am long term (34 years ) type II. I travel on long haul flights yearly. Plan your flight times carefully. Overnight flights are best for me. Eat and take medication as usual prior to the flight and use the Airport lounges if you need a meal prior to boarding. Food is always better and usually free. Ensure that you have plenty of water to drink. Flight crews are happy to get this as often as you need. Every hour go for a walk around the cabin. I have sleep apnoea and have been able to use my CPAP on LH Flights so I can sleep. Inform the airlines you require a special menu well before you are due to fly.

Above enjoy you trip New Zealand is amazing.
Thank you but I didn't do well at all. I was so ill on all 3 flights!!! Went to see doctor here in NZ today as mynlevels hugh 12cand 14. 3 new meds to take for flights home next week which I'm dreading.!