What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

M

Member496333

I've got a lot of reading to do from the url's you good people have left in your posts but just reporting in . A flat 6 this morning. I have the diabetic eye screening appointment this morning, so will be seeing bright lights for a few hours. Have a good day all

Will you be having your pupils dilated? I hate that. Totally messes up my focussing and is extremely painful when you go outside.

Coincidentally I’m at the opticians later today for a regular yearly exam. Best of luck to us both!

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
best of luck on your visit @OrsonKartt ..
pray.gif
Thanks . Its just a fancy photo but it will show if the life style I've been leading for the last year has been OK. I'm quietly confident...

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Will you be having your pupils dilated? I hate that. Totally messes up my focussing and is extremely painful when you go outside.

Coincidentally I’m at the opticians later today for a regular yearly exam. Best of luck to us both!
The drops do that. Last year I cycled as driving isn't a good idea. This morning I find myself with a puncture so I'm walking... a few more steps in my day won't hurt..

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a lot of reading to do from the url's you good people have left in your posts but just reporting in . A flat 6 this morning. I have the diabetic eye screening appointment this morning, so will be seeing bright lights for a few hours. Have a good day all
I always get to wear dark glasses, a hoodie and have a driver (Mrs Miggins) pick me up. Sort of, rock star for the wrong reasons experience.

Reactions: DJC3 and OrsonKartt
M

Member496333

The drops do that. Last year I cycled as driving isn't a good idea. This morning I find myself with a puncture so I'm walking... a few more steps in my day won't hurt..

Perhaps you tolerate it better than I do. I am a bit of a wimp though. I can barely walk outside without a full-face welding mask after having my pupils dilated, never mind ride a bike. It’s a stunningly clear sunny today in my hunting grounds...thankfully it’s just a regular opticians appointment so there should be no reason for any drops...assuming all is well, of course.

It’s the very same optician who picked up my retinopathy almost exactly two years ago, leading to my diagnosis. My goodness what a journey it’s been since then! :hilarious:

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Perhaps you tolerate it better than I do. I am a bit of a wimp though. I can barely walk outside without a full-face welding mask after having my pupils dilated, never mind ride a bike. It’s a stunningly clear sunny today in my hunting grounds...thankfully it’s just a regular opticians appointment so there should be no reason for any drops...assuming all is well, of course.

It’s the very same optician who picked up my retinopathy almost exactly two years ago, leading to my diagnosis. My goodness what a journey it’s been since then! :hilarious:
Ok I will take sunglasses then :) it is lovely and bright here on the east coast - A mite nippy mind...

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.9 for me first thing (well, after couple of sips from a cup of tea..) I had 1 pint of my favored bitter at lunch time yesterday! I haven't had a beer since my diagnoses back in October 2018. I went to my local club to renew my subscription, had a chat with some of the locals, and thought to my self.. Lets try one! Marstons Bitter is/was my favorite drink. I used to be a regular consumer of the stuff (since diagnosed, I have only been drinking small amounts of wine and the occasional class of whisky). So, I tested my self prior to the beer, measured at 5.5. 1 hour after the beer, tested again, 6.8, 2 hours after the beer I was back to to early 5s. I think a pint or 2 every blue moon so to speak wouldn't do any harm.. If anything.. I thoroughly enjoyed every sip of it! You all have a good day!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ok I will take sunglasses then :) it is lovely and bright here on the east coast - A mite nippy mind...
A good idea I always take sunglasses when having eyes tested. Mind you being somewhat photo sensitive I tend to wear shades on even dull days get some funny looks.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning I find myself with a puncture so I'm walking... .

i'll just leave this here LINK...;)

A puncture on a car...inconvenient, but just swap wheels and your good to go, in minutes
on a bike..your dead in the water, unless you got skills or are happy to await the AA.

Used for many years...not had issue since...:)

oh, and for my first diabetic eye test one...i was expecting worse,
but with sunnies on...i felt great :D...a tad blurry, but that passed after a while..(did sting mind :bigtears:)

M

Member496333

Morning all. 5.9 for me first thing (well, after couple of sips from a cup of tea..) I had 1 pint of my favored bitter at lunch time yesterday! I haven't had a beer since my diagnoses back in October 2018. I went to my local club to renew my subscription, had a chat with some of the locals, and thought to my self.. Lets try one! Marstons Bitter is/was my favorite drink. I used to be a regular consumer of the stuff (since diagnosed, I have only been drinking small amounts of wine and the occasional class of whisky). So, I tested my self prior to the beer, measured at 5.5. 1 hour after the beer, tested again, 6.8, 2 hours after the beer I was back to to early 5s. I think a pint or 2 every blue moon so to speak wouldn't do any harm.. If anything.. I thoroughly enjoyed every sip of it! You all have a good day!

That is awesome but I’m going to be the party pooper and suggest that you be very careful how you interpret that data. Been there dozens of times with various other examples of stuff I thought I was now able to do in moderation. Once in a blue moon is fine until it starts creeping up and before can say “diabetes” you’re back where you started. That has been my experience at least. You seem like you have your head screwed on...just a cautionary tale :)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 today and no idea why. I hear heavy snow coming my way Tues/Wed so better get ready. Lots of errands to do today and chase the elusive roofer whose work before Christmas didnt stop the leak! Hope you all have a more exciting day.
@johnpol hope the cold gets better, lovely news about fossie dog.
Have a good Monday. Stay well, get better, stay safe.
Hope you get the leak sorted once and for all!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

A puncture on a car...inconvenient, but just swap wheels and your good to go, in minutes
on a bike..your dead in the water, unless you got skills or are happy to await the AA.

Used for many years...not had issue since...

I have something similar in my motorcycle tyres. It can really mess up your rims but I have spokes on both my bikes so it’s inside the inner tubes.
Bonus - lots of mess and fun with the grandkids when changing the tyres.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
5.9 this morning - which is an OK way to start the week. Had a lovely weekend celebrating Mrs R's birthday. Lots of lovely grub, and some wine too. But the fun is over and back to work. Hey ho - another week commences

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Used for many years...not had issue since...:)

oh, and for my first diabetic eye test one...i was expecting worse,
but with sunnies on...i felt great :D...a tad blurry, but that passed after a while..(did sting mind :bigtears:)
Puncture on the bike, I'll get round to fixing it when my eyes regain focus and I loose this " just got out of a spaceship" feeling...

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am absolutely dismayed...some of you will be aware of the issues I had with my surgery this week trying to ascertain whether I need to see my GP for my rising blood pressure...I spoke with three members of staff who were less than helpful...all insisted my GP's letter had been sent on the 21st of Janaury...finally after I persevered I was emailed a copy of my GP's letter on Wednesday...this morning a full week after it was written the letter arrived...the envelope was post marked the 24th a full three days after the misleading information I was given (above)...I've emailed the practice manager asking for an explanation...can't wait to hear what she says.

Reactions: DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am absolutely dismayed...some of you will be aware of the issues I had with my surgery this week trying to ascertain whether I need to see my GP for my rising blood pressure...I spoke with three members of staff who were less than helpful...all insisted my GP's letter had been sent on the 21st of Janaury...finally after I persevered I was emailed a copy of my GP's letter on Wednesday...this morning a full week after it was written the letter arrived...the envelope was post marked the 24th a full three days after the misleading information I was given (above)...I've emailed the practice manager asking for an explanation...can't wait to hear what she says.
Posted to the out tray perhaps? Wonder why they can’t just email it to you if a) have an email address and b) you have beurocratically ticked all the permission boxes

Reactions: DJC3