closed looped system / openAPS

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know a way that the medtronic 640G or the Anima Vibe can be used for the closed loop system or the openAPS system - i know it renders the pump out of warranty, but i have an old vibe that i could try it with as i am going on to the 640g soon. The medtronic 670g is not meant to be great, with poor sensor readings and many alerts also the BS range is far to high, set about 6.7.

I know this is quite a techie question, but i am sure there are a couple of you out there that use the openAPS system to create a closed loop on the old medtronic pumps

Thanking you in advance guys

Reactions: kitedoc

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies if you have, but have you checked the openAPS website?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you can speak to your hospital and cancel the 640 order. Tell them you want a Dana pump instead or accuchek combo as @DunePlodder said.

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, thanks for that , do anyone of you work on this, or know people that do and how do they find it

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys, thanks for that , do anyone of you work on this, or know people that do and how do they find it

Yes I'm on Android APS and @tim2000s has been or is, I'm not sure what he is using now.

I adore my system and its dropped my a1c from 8.4 to 6.4 in a year. Nearly tripled my time in range, fewer hypos and less bad ones, same with hypers and back in range quicker.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Slightly off topic but does anybody know of any progress with hacking the Omnipod to be able to Loop? The last update I saw it sounded like it was very close to being sorted and I'd love to try it!

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slightly off topic but does anybody know of any progress with hacking the Omnipod to be able to Loop? The last update I saw it sounded like it was very close to being sorted and I'd love to try it!
I'd be interested in this too as start on the Omnipod this week!

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Please don't think that I am being pedantic as I am trying to be positive about open source closed looping but PLEASE avoid using terms like "hacking" as this suggests that the pump has been reprogrammed or changed in some way when it hasn't.

All of the open source closed loop systems rely on controlling an insulin pump remotely using a device which mimics the manufacturers remote control - pumps are not messed about with in any form.

Systems such as openAPS, LOOP and Android APS although unsupported by healthcare professionals are generally accepted when used sensibly and with care. Any talk of "hacking" usually has negative implications and if we start hacking medical devices who knows how this will affect HCP acceptance.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please don't think that I am being pedantic as I am trying to be positive about open source closed looping but PLEASE avoid using terms like "hacking" as this suggests that the pump has been reprogrammed or changed in some way when it hasn't.

All of the open source closed loop systems rely on controlling an insulin pump remotely using a device which mimics the manufacturers remote control - pumps are not messed about with in any form.

Systems such as openAPS, LOOP and Android APS although unsupported by healthcare professionals are generally accepted when used sensibly and with care. Any talk of "hacking" usually has negative implications and if we start hacking medical devices who knows how this will affect HCP acceptance.

I hadn't thought of it like that - I won't use it again - thanks for the correction

Reactions: Alzibiff and Chas C

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally as a computer programmer I think the corect word is "hack" when connecting together systems that don't have published APIs and official surport to be used together. It is what IT people have been calling such setups since I started working in IT 30 years ago.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally as a computer programmer I think the corect word is "hack" when connecting together systems that don't have published APIs and official surport to be used together. It is what IT people have been calling such setups since I started working in IT 30 years ago.
Yes but I think @Alzibiff is right about the word having negative implications to non IT people and it would be best to avoid it

Reactions: Alzibiff