Recent OGTT result

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all . I received my recent ogtt result. I have lost 10 kg weight and was on low carb high fat dietOn the day of my test I was checking my glucose levels with my glucose meter as well. My fasting and one hour readings were normal but after two hours it was slightly high .
IMG_2880.jpg

I am attaching the lab results of previous and recent levels. Please comment on it .Should I be happy or not ? I wasn’t expecting it to be high again. I met my gp today he said technically I am prediabetic but my being fasting n hba1c normal it is clinically insignificant. I am 163cm tall my weight is 60kg I can still loose 10 kg . What’s your input guys what should I do now my gp will arrange another blood test after 6 months.

Reactions: Ponchu

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @hazelzac, why not wait until you have lost the next 10 kg and then re-test.?
There could be some discussion about how reliable a GTT is on low carb is.
The HBA1C, as far as ranges go, must be pleasing!!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I can't see any reason you wouldn't be happy with those results. That shows good progress over 6 months. Do you really need to lose another 10kgs?

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see any reason you wouldn't be happy with those results. That shows good progress over 6 months. Do you really need to lose another 10kgs?
Thanks Tophat1900 . The two hour result is still high and it makes me feel bad as I tried very hard .I just want to see a complete normal report

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @hazelzac, why not wait until you have lost the next 10 kg and then re-test.?
There could be some discussion about how reliable a GTT is on low carb is.
The HBA1C, as far as ranges go, must be pleasing!!
Thanks kitedoc , I was not following lchf diet for the last one month , do u think its still unreliable? I will start lchf diet and some exercise from this week and try to loose some more weight in the next six months.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all . I received my recent ogtt result. I have lost 10 kg weight and was on low carb high fat dietOn the day of my test I was checking my glucose levels with my glucose meter as well. My fasting and one hour readings were normal but after two hours it was slightly high .View attachment 30878
I am attaching the lab results of previous and recent levels. Please comment on it .Should I be happy or not ? I wasn’t expecting it to be high again. I met my gp today he said technically I am prediabetic but my being fasting n hba1c normal it is clinically insignificant. I am 163cm tall my weight is 60kg I can still loose 10 kg . What’s your input guys what should I do now my gp will arrange another blood test after 6 months.
Can you tag me to those discussions

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@hazelzac - what were the conditions of the OGTT? Was it done in a controlled setting - GP surgery or hospital clinic? Was a glucose drink used, or food?

If you have been dieting, and losing weight, had you eaten the recommended 130gr carbs a day for a few days beforehand?

Sorry for the questions, but there are some things that can impact how our bodies respond to certain conditions.

Reactions: hazelzac

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@hazelzac - what were the conditions of the OGTT? Was it done in a controlled setting - GP surgery or hospital clinic? Was a glucose drink used, or food?

If you have been dieting, and losing weight, had you eaten the recommended 130gr carbs a day for a few days beforehand?

Sorry for the questions, but there are some things that can impact how our bodies respond to certain conditions.
It was in a controlled setting definitely I wasn't allowed to go out the pathology lab or even walk inside , 75 g sugar drink was used which I drank in front of the lab assistant , I followed diet instructions before the test , the only thing which I did differently they asked me to fast for 8 hours but I fasted for almost 13 hours but they said it should be fine

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a pity they didn't do one more test, 15 or 30 minutes later, to see where your bloods were then, as your A1c would suggest they may have gone down quite rapidly.

What does your Doctor asy about these results?

If you areintent on losing another 10kg, you will be very slender indeed. I'm 160cm and weight 48/49kg. I wear UK size 6 clothing.

I hadn't intended to go down so low, but I found it tricky to stop the weight loss, and the trial and error resulted in more weight loss. Please do think about how you will plan to move on from your weight loss plan, well before you reach your target.

Reactions: hazelzac

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
he said technically I am prediabetic but my being fasting n hba1c normal it is clinically insignificant.

Gosh what do you have to do to impress your doctor. I'm impressed anyway for what it's worth.

Are you based in the UK? What is your two hour target for normal? I think ours is below 7.8

I agree with DCUKMod what are you going to do when you reach your targets?

SimonCrox

Agree with above - technically, one should be eating 300 gm CHO per day for 3 days prior to GTT, else the GTT results are elevated by low CHO diet before - so your GTT results could be better than they look.
Technically, you have impaired glucose tolerance which is now one of the varieties of pre-diabetes; the GTT is probably better than the HbA1c for diagnostic accuracy, but HbA1c is often used since easier.. Management of IGT is as you are doing ie diet to keep weight down and 30 mins moderate exercise per day 5 days per week. And your recent numbers are looking better than the original numbers, which is gratifying
Your BMI works out to be 22.5 which is middle of the healthy range ie weight fine; if you drop to 50 kg, your BMI will be 18.8 ie significantly underweight.
I would never be patronising, but it looks to me like you are doing really well
best wishes.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with above - technically, one should be eating 300 gm CHO per day for 3 days prior to GTT, else the GTT results are elevated by low CHO diet before - so your GTT results could be better than they look.
Technically, you have impaired glucose tolerance which is now one of the varieties of pre-diabetes; the GTT is probably better than the HbA1c for diagnostic accuracy, but HbA1c is often used since easier.. Management of IGT is as you are doing ie diet to keep weight down and 30 mins moderate exercise per day 5 days per week. And your recent numbers are looking better than the original numbers, which is gratifying
Your BMI works out to be 22.5 which is middle of the healthy range ie weight fine; if you drop to 50 kg, your BMI will be 18.8 ie significantly underweight.
best wishes.

With respect, a BMI might be very slender, and low in the healthy range, but according to UK BMI charts, is not significantly underweight. The following is taken from the NHS website:

upload_2019-1-28_19-21-6.png

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a pity they didn't do one more test, 15 or 30 minutes later, to see where your bloods were then, as your A1c would suggest they may have gone down quite rapidly.

What does your Doctor asy about these results?

If you areintent on losing another 10kg, you will be very slender indeed. I'm 160cm and weight 48/49kg. I wear UK size 6 clothing.

I hadn't intended to go down so low, but I found it tricky to stop the weight loss, and the trial and error resulted in more weight loss. Please do think about how you will plan to move on from your weight loss plan, well before you reach your target.

You are right because after almost 3 to 4 hours my glucose went down to 3.8 at home (glucose meter)

I wear Australian size 8 , when I got married 9 years ago I was 52 kg now I am 60 .

Reactions: kitedoc

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh what do you have to do to impress your doctor. I'm impressed anyway for what it's worth.

Are you based in the UK? What is your two hour target for normal? I think ours is below 7.8

I agree with DCUKMod what are you going to do when you reach your targets?

I am in Australia.Australia is same normal range is up to 7.7 .

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
best wishes.

Thanks for all the info and detailed answer , I thought you should have 150 g carb for three days before test next time I would definitely take 300 g carbs

Grazer

Bit late in the day for a reply, but results are good. The fact that you didn't carb up before hand means results are worse than they would have been, but still good. Shame that you didn't have more readings taken - the shape of the graph you get is very telling, as is the peak BG reading. If you repeat, try and get 15 min readings.

If it works, I'll attach a graph of a clinical-level OGTT I did on myself, a friend who is pre-diabetic and my wife who is very normal (annoyingly!)

You can see that at 2 hours, my BG is 7.8, and would classify me as pre-diabetic. However, from 45 to 75 mins I hover around 13mmols and peak at 14, making me certainly diabetic. Also, the graph rises steeply because of my lack of a phase 1 insulin release, and comes down slowly because I have a reasonable but not great phase 2 release.

My wife shows a true non-diabetic graph, never getting above 7.5, and finally getting down to 2.2 because her body had flooded her with insulin as a reaction to the sudden mass of glucose after a fast. She felt a bit wobbly then, low blood sugar, but not an issue, a glass of orange juice and she's back almost back to normal 15 mins later.

My friend follows a typical pre-diabetic curve, with the good recovery after his peak being a result of the fact that he still has a very strong phase 2 insulin release. His peak goes above 11, suggesting he is actually diabetic, but we were using meters (taking capillary blood) rather than veinous blood at a surgical test, so it could well be the readings shown were a bit higher than in reality. It is the shape of the curve that is telling.

If the graph and table haven't attached, it's down to my poor PC skills. Let me know and I'll try again!

Attachments

• OGTT cliff, Grazer and mrs Grazer pdf.pdf
    116.2 KB · Views: 394

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late in the day for a reply, but results are good. The fact that you didn't carb up before hand means results are worse than they would have been, but still good. Shame that you didn't have more readings taken - the shape of the graph you get is very telling, as is the peak BG reading. If you repeat, try and get 15 min readings.

If it works, I'll attach a graph of a clinical-level OGTT I did on myself, a friend who is pre-diabetic and my wife who is very normal (annoyingly!)

You can see that at 2 hours, my BG is 7.8, and would classify me as pre-diabetic. However, from 45 to 75 mins I hover around 13mmols and peak at 14, making me certainly diabetic. Also, the graph rises steeply because of my lack of a phase 1 insulin release, and comes down slowly because I have a reasonable but not great phase 2 release.

My wife shows a true non-diabetic graph, never getting above 7.5, and finally getting down to 2.2 because her body had flooded her with insulin as a reaction to the sudden mass of glucose after a fast. She felt a bit wobbly then, low blood sugar, but not an issue, a glass of orange juice and she's back almost back to normal 15 mins later.

My friend follows a typical pre-diabetic curve, with the good recovery after his peak being a result of the fact that he still has a very strong phase 2 insulin release. His peak goes above 11, suggesting he is actually diabetic, but we were using meters (taking capillary blood) rather than veinous blood at a surgical test, so it could well be the readings shown were a bit higher than in reality. It is the shape of the curve that is telling.

If the graph and table haven't attached, it's down to my poor PC skills. Let me know and I'll try again!

I saw your reply today ,I really appreciate all your efforts to make things clear as this graph concept is new to me and I just want to do it as soon as possible, thanks a lot again

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Can you please let me know how much sugar you took for the test I assume it was in home so what type of drink was that?