What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 that is quite glowing praise from a granny! See? You raised them right after all! I think it’s fabulous that the school came up with that helpful idea. We never had such luck and had to beg schools to allow this or that.
@Goonergal you can do it! But you know? If you don’t it’s not the end of the world either (I don’t think). Just a few more days....
@DJC3 way to go!!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, decaf/creamcream/soy
Lunch celery, toms, lc tortilla with butter and almond butter (I’m the one who needs to regain self control!), and later cream and a delicious square 90% chocolate
Supper more toms, mushrooms, tin of sardines with olive oil; couple tbsp flaked coconut with <1 tbsp oat fiber and a whole bunch of cream to try and make something smooth. That was probably an unnecessary dessert.
Snack will be something fatty in the pretense that it won’t leave me with DP.
I don’ understand how people got their numbers from raving diabetic to non-diabetic in a few short months! Lots of fasting? I am moving so slowly, and currently apparently just plain eating too much. Sigh.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’ understand how people got their numbers from raving diabetic to non-diabetic in a few short months! Lots of fasting? I am moving so slowly, and currently apparently just plain eating too much. Sigh.

@zauberflote Don’t beat yourself up comparing yourself to others - it’s your journey and it’s not a race or a competition. So long as you’re moving in the direction you want to go and eating in a way you think you can sustain, all is good. Sure fasting helps (I think you said that’s not possible for you because of medications that need food) with insulin resistance, but there are other ways - @Rachox is a fine example of that!

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote Don’t beat yourself up comparing yourself to others - it’s your journey and it’s not a race or a competition. So long as you’re moving in the direction you want to go and eating in a way you think you can sustain, all is good. Sure fasting helps (I think you said that’s not possible for you because of medications that need food) with insulin resistance, but there are other ways - @Rachox is a fine example of that!

Thanks for the tag @Goonergal. @zauberflote I have never fasted (except for surgery or blood tests!). I turn into a miserable cow if I try! So my weight loss and normalised HbA1cs are due to low carbing mainly plus a modest dose of Metformin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Did someone say Jaffa Cakes? I don't have a sweet tooth but I do have a penchant for JCs i.e I have no off switch with them. Havn't had one since diagnosis so I think I'm due a certificate of some sort?

Kingmidas

My diet at the moment could be called 'adventures in coconut'!

I made these highly recommended (by me) coconut macaroons with a mix I bought from the 'Dr Almond' website Half a pack of mix makes 8 big macaroons, and they're really tasty and almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

I'm rarely hungry when I get up in the morning but I do like a nice bucket of tea, and sometimes (very occasionally) I miss having a digestive biscuit or two so one of these coconut macaroons is perfect.

I've also been experimenting with my homemade 'muesli'. Normally I put a spoonful of oats in to bulk it out but I've been aware that I might be getting a minor reaction to the oats as I do to white dough, in as much as I get this slightly shaky feeling (I called it the carb shakes) which I first noticed after eating doughballs in a restaurant, and then a slice of garlic bread at home.

I've cut out the oats completely and just use desiccated coconut, toasted coconut, pecans, sunflower seeds, coconut milk and a few blueberries on the top - and it's absolutely delicious!
IMG_20190127_142558_152.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I made these highly recommended (by me) coconut macaroons with a mix I bought from the 'Dr Almond' website Half a pack of mix makes 8 big macaroons, and they're really tasty and almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

I'm rarely hungry when I get up in the morning but I do like a nice bucket of tea, and sometimes (very occasionally) I miss having a digestive biscuit or two so one of these coconut macaroons is perfect.

I've also been experimenting with my homemade 'muesli'. Normally I put a spoonful of oats in to bulk it out but I've been aware that I might be getting a minor reaction to the oats as I do to white dough, in as much as I get this slightly shaky feeling (I called it the carb shakes) which I first noticed after eating doughballs in a restaurant, and then a slice of garlic bread at home.

I've cut out the oats completely and just use desiccated coconut, toasted coconut, pecans, sunflower seeds, coconut milk and a few blueberries on the top - and it's absolutely delicious!View attachment 30884
They look nice even though I dislike coconut intensely - except for the cream in curry. I do like the Dr Almond products and wonder why no UK based organisation can match them?

Kingmidas

They look nice even though I dislike coconut intensely - except for the cream in curry. I do like the Dr Almond products and wonder why no UK based organisation can match them?
Yes, I've thought the same @ianpspurs

I looked at the list of ingredients, and it should be easy enough to replicate really. I may have a go one day!

Luckily I love coconut (you may have gathered that )

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Beautifully sunny day here but really cold when outside.

A horrible start to the day - FBG at a really unexpected 9.0, washed hands took again and was 9.1. I have no idea why! :banghead:

Today is an OMAD day (again) and that meal will be chargrilled belly of pork with sugar free sweet chilli dipping sauce.

Drinks: black decaff coffee or still spring water

Reactions: maglil55 and dunelm

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A horrible start to the day - FBG at a really unexpected 9.0, washed hands took again and was 9.1. I have no idea why! :banghead:

Today is an OMAD day (again) and that meal will be chargrilled belly of pork with sugar free sweet chilli dipping sauce.

How are you doing your chargrilling Chook? Sparking up the BBQ, or switching off the smoke alarm? I love, love, belly pork with stupendous crackling.

Enjoy!

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
How are you doing your chargrilling Chook? Sparking up the BBQ, or switching off the smoke alarm? I love, love, belly pork with stupendous crackling.

Enjoy!

Switching off the smoke alarm.... I did think about the BBQ then decided that it is far to cold.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hug for the fbg but the meal sounds likely to raise the spirits - enjoy.

Rose88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: DD keto pancake with bacon and SF maple syrup followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: Jaffa Carb Killa and black coffee.
Dinner at Wetherspoons: gammon steak, eggs and side salad (I asked for the chips to be replaced with salad, they bought it with salad and a baked potato :wideyed:, I didn’t touch the potato honest, except to remove it from my plate! :joyful:)

Hello @Rachox I'm loving the sound of your menu, in my previous life as a non diabetic I use to love jaffa cakes!
Is the LC chocolate granola a DD recipe or something else?

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal and @Rachox thanks sooo much for your sweet replies, and @shelley262 , @ianpspurs , @Chook and @DJC3 for your hugs and support! I do sort of feel like I'm racing a clock, as my definitive HbA1c test is in a little over 2 weeks. The first was 6.5 with a FBG of 89, so my PCP held off on anything because of the disparity. Here in US, any two 6.5's gets you the dx "diabetic", and maybe I'm being unrealistic in not wanting that on my chart. My Medicare supplementals now, due to politics, may choose not to cover ANY of my pre-existing conditions for some time period, and I'd love for diabetes not to be one of those. The others are expensive enough :banghead::( The cutoff for pre-D is 5.6 or below, and I'd like to avoid that dx too...

So, I'm frustrated that I'm having a period of upward-creeping numbers just when things were going so nicely.If that time clock didn't exist, I'd be a whole lot more patient :meh: Thanks to ALL folks here who are so willing to be sounding boards (and I don't mean echo chamber :) ) and cheerleaders/team supporters!!!!!!!!! Hugs to all.

I'll check in again probably in several hours, wil be waiting at the vet with the poor old cat who's been dealing with bouts of severe (as in you don't want TMI) constipation, poor poor baby....
edit to add some relevant info

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Homemade granola and hi lo toast and butter
Lunch: Pate, Four mini peters yard sourdough crackers, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese stuffed peppers, chicken bites. Two giant strawberries, chocolate granola and cream.
Dinner: Lamb and mushroom casserole, roasted sprouts, carrots and celeriac.
Snacks: 85% chocolate and nuts

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I've cut out the oats completely and just use desiccated coconut, toasted coconut, pecans, sunflower seeds, coconut milk and a few blueberries on the top - and it's absolutely delicious!View attachment 30884
Now they look very good, must investigate the Dr Almon website now.
Do you have a list of ingredients?

Last edited:
Reactions: zauberflote

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing to eat yet today, just selected teas and fizzy water.
Found a tub of chicken soup in the freezer and a chunk of ham so a peck and turf soup. Dropping in a bit of red cabbage, courgette and leek and adding a bit of zing with chilly flakes and garlic.
Some cream might be interesting, cheese perhaps.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Rachox I'm loving the sound of your menu, in my previous life as a non diabetic I use to love jaffa cakes!
Is the LC chocolate granola a DD recipe or something else?

My LC chocolate granola is a mix of various different recipes. Here it is:

Carbs per 50g portion 3.5g approx. (Not including anything added like yoghurt or cream)

Ingredients:
25g coconut oil melted
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice (I used Xylitol but note this is poisonous to pets)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
200 g unsweetened desiccated/shredded coconut
50 g pumpkin seeds
50 g sunflower seeds
100 g mixed nuts corsely chopped
50 g whole flaxseeds
10 Hotel Chocolate buttons corsely chopped

Instructions:
1. Melt the coconut oil in a glass bowl then stir the sweetener, cinnamon and cocoa powder into it.
2. In a large baking tray, mix all the seeds, nuts, coconut and chocolate pieces together.
3. Pour the chocolate coconut oil over the chocolate, coconut, seed and nut mix then stir well so all the granola is coated with the chocolate coconut oil.
4. Bake at 180C/ 350F/gas mark 6 for 24 minutes, until crispy and brown. The mixture burns VERY easily, so set the timer and turn the mixture every 4 minutes.
5. Serve with Greek yoghurt and berries or with cream or sprinkle over ice cream (Oppo of course!)

Edit for typo.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope today has either been kind to you all or you have had the fortitude (series 2 let that down) to emerge relatively unscathed. I am now feeling quite chipper despite having a visceral dislike of winter, no love of walking or LC eating. I know 2 of the 3 are "good for me" and the other one is unavoidable since the food fairy will always want to be in the same country as the grandchildren.:arghh:
Breakfast;Mid morning;Lunch and Late afternoon: Much pintage of tea until 14.00 then cocoa with mixture of almond and soya milk (this Ox needs to tread way more grain before the muzzle comes off regularly); Evening meal: Kassolet - nearer to proper - a few beans (butter beans @ 9.1% carbs;just a few maybe 10/12) and cubes of celeriac from frozen - belly pork, duck breast and Hakuna matata sausage; celery and tomato puree, little red wine (not counting for alkeroll free Jan) mushrooms, water, bay leaf&c
Evening meal means the day will be remembered for that and as a very good day.:)
Edit: Food fairy has offered me a creme brulee and against all odds I will consume or she will be sad.

Last edited: