Low-Carb Diets – What Is Missing?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
PastaShape said:
I think the point of the thread was to raise awareness to the wonderful properties of broccilli versus the high starch bg raising potatoes. :)

I eat potatoes, rice, bread and other carby foods every day and they dont raise my bg levels in the amounts that I eat them in so why would I need my awareness raised? My meter does that for me rather well thanks :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As a low carber myself I find that the small quantity of Spuds I eat has little or no effect on my Bg levels mainly because I use portion control as well as choosing low carb foods/Veggies. I don't suffer any vitamin deficiencies except for potassium which is countered by coffee and the odd Banana. Again hardly any effect on Bg levels because I choose the right time to eat the Banana when my bg levels are low.

I have a great varied diet without having to 'pig out' on stuff like broccoli. Works well for me ........I even manage to eat a few Pasta shapes as well :wink:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
PastaShape said:
I think the point of the thread was to raise awareness to the wonderful properties of broccilli versus the high starch bg raising potatoes. :)

With a little twist to it maybe?

PastaShape

Dislikes
DIABETES
Cugila said.

"I have a great varied diet without having to 'pig out' on stuff like broccoli."

Has anyone said you should "pig out on boccoli " :)

C

catherinecherub

PastaShape,
In your profile you state, "Trying to stay low carb, it's not easy."
If you would like some pointers about other equally successful methods of good management then please feel free to ask.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
PastaShape said:
Cugila said.

"I have a great varied diet without having to 'pig out' on stuff like broccoli."

Nope ! However I am sure somebody will tell me what I should eat, they have been doing it for a loooong time ! I think I know what I need to eat and what's good for me without being preached at.

Anyway - isn't this a discussion area ? Some of us work things out for ourselves .......

:D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Personally I love Broccoli and Cauliflower but tomorrow is Father's Day and I may have a small roast potato with my steak. It will not kill me and I will enjoy it all the more as being an occasional treat !

PastaShape

Dislikes
DIABETES
Thankyou Catherine for your help. I have to use Mmetformin by I do have good hbaic 5.1 last test. I have to stay very lowcarb but i would love to eat pasta and rice and potatoes can you help me.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
PastaShape said:
Cugila said.

I've been reading this forum for quite a while now and have not seen anyone mentioning that we should "pig out" on things like spuds, rice, bread etc. either. Every single person in this forum agrees that to keep to normal BG levels we ALL have to lower our carb consumption.

The thing is, I see no reason whatsoever why we can't eat spuds, rice etc. in small portions and have some broccoli included in our veg. Best of both worlds as far as I am concerned and we do not get stressed/depressed any more than we already are by this disease that we have to live with.

I love broccoli and eat it often but as a veg and not as a replacement for spuds.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

PastaShape said:
Thankyou Catherine for your help. I have to use Mmetformin by I do have good hbaic 5.1 last test. I have to stay very lowcarb but i would love to eat pasta and rice and potatoes can you help me.

Eat very small portions a couple times a week and see what that does to your BG levels and your HbA1C. If there is a big difference, how big depends entirely on your personal preference, then go back to low carbing. But eat broccoli and other veg's as well, I like a colorful plate.

C

catherinecherub

A good place to start is the newbie's guide compiled by Ken and Sue.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Another site is the G.I. index. There is a database there that you can use to find out the G.I. of foods including starches.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/
Remember that not every food will suit you personally regardless of the G.I. although the lower the G.I. the better it is. An excellent book to help you is The G.I. Diet by Rick Gallop.
The main decider is your meter and you need to test, test and test again. You may have to halve your portion of a particular carb or you may be able to eat a normal portion. Some you may not be able to tolerate. Go for non processed foods, use plenty of herbs and spices. Vinegars and Lemon/Lime juices are particularly good at lowering your blood sugars. Include plenty of green vegetables and or salads in your meals.
Temperate fruits usually have the lowest G.I. (All this is in the recommended book).
Fruits need to be tested.

jopar

PastaShape said:
What is missing. High bg numbers. Diabetic complications and lots of medication. :)

High BG numbers

Don't often boast but by the heck why not, You are making comments to an individual who ahieves the holy grail of the 5% club :shock:

Diabetic Compliactions

Haven't got any, not bad for being diabetic for 20+ years me thinks

Lots of Medication

As a T1 diabetic I haven't got any option concerning injecting insulin bit of a death sentance not do...

But I don't call 17 units a day give or take a unit or 2, Lots

I don't eat lots of carbs, but a moderate amount of normal carbs

Does the trick for me I think you would agree..

But Wrunket asked a question concerning what is missing...

And to me it would be taste, varity and texture...

My brain will not except that grated cauliflower is rice or mashed cauliflower is mashed potato, probably due to it tastes the same as cauliflower and the texture isn't what it's pretending to be it's cauliflower... And I hate bein bored with my food!

jopar

PastaShape said:
What is missing. High bg numbers. Diabetic complications and lots of medication. :)

High BG numbers

Don't often boast but by the heck why not, You are making comments to an individual who ahieves the holy grail of the 5% club :shock:

Diabetic Compliactions

Haven't got any, not bad for being diabetic for 20+ years me thinks

Lots of Medication

As a T1 diabetic I haven't got any option concerning injecting insulin bit of a death sentance not do...

But I don't call 17 units a day give or take a unit or 2, Lots

I don't eat lots of carbs, but a moderate amount of normal carbs

Does the trick for me I think you would agree..

But Wrunket asked a question concerning what is missing...

And to me it would be taste, varity and texture...

My brain will not except that grated cauliflower is rice or mashed cauliflower is mashed potato, probably due to it tastes the same as cauliflower and the texture isn't what it's pretending to be it's cauliflower... And I hate bein bored with my food!

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish someone else would just come along and say that they eat unprocessed foods as much as I do and start a different debate as to whether processed or unprocessed foods are better for our healths!!!!!

I thought I had.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
"I thought I had"- what? where?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
My brain will not except that grated cauliflower is rice or mashed cauliflower is mashed potato, probably due to it tastes the same as cauliflower and the texture isn't what it's pretending to be it's cauliflower... And I hate bein bored with my food![/quote]

I don't know how people can eat that sort of thing and sliced courgette as pasta! If it was served up to me I'd puke!

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My concern about low-carb and low-fat is that as the body can only burn carbs in the form of glucose, or fat in the form of ketones as fuel then if an individual is on low-carb AND low-fat, the only other place they could get enough fuel from is their muscles. Of course they feel ok because the body is compensating quietly without their awareness.

As the brain is made of 60% fat and like all cells in the body brain cells die and need to be replaced, where is the body going to get the fat from if not from the diet?

As the lung cells are made from 100% fat where is the body going to get the fat from if not in the diet?

The body can turn glucose into fat, but it can't turn fat into glucose.

Just because we don't drop dead if we don't eat enough of any given food doesn't mean that it isn't causing problems at cellular level without us being aware of it.

Something is causing Alzheimer's. That too, like many other diseases is on the increase - and in relatively young people too. Why? It doesn't happen overnight. Something is triggering it. Could it be the combination of highly-processed foods and low fat? Low-fat won't provide enough of the fatty acids that the brain needs to function with, and the processed and often nutritionally 'dead' food won't supply enough nutrition - in fact much of it actually robs the body of nutrition as the body tries desperately to deal with it. Over a long period of time, those factors have to impact somewhere along the line.....

If nutritional income is less than nutritional expenditure, we will eventually end up in nutrition deficit.

Personally, I would rather look to Ancestral diets - diets that were perfected over thousands of years through the patient trial and error of our forebears. They learned what was good for them and how different types of food should be prepared in order to get the best out of it, and passed that wisdom on to their children. We sadly, have lost that knowledge and understanding. We assume that all food is good food.....

PastaShape

Dislikes
DIABETES
Sarah69

We are all diferent. I have tried difernt foods and I canot get good numbers with carbs. I wish i could. How do you do it

cugila

Master
Dislikes
AliB
You shouldn't be concerned about those of us that low carb and low fat. I can assure you it works VERY well. You shouldn't believe all the **** out there on the Net. Tales from so called Physicians who wear blinkers and don't know the truth when it is staring them in the face. Low carb AND Low fat does work. We aren't all skeletons and don't eat masses of Protein to compensate.

I just wondered how much longer you were going to need to heal yourself with your current method as it has been around 2 years you have been healing .....-- managed to control my Diabetes in about 3 months using Low Fat AND Low Carbs ......you should try it !

:D