People With Diabetes Miss Up To 15 Working Hours Per Month

Cowboyjim

http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=227616
One In Five People With Diabetes Miss Up To 15 Working Hours Per Month Due To Low Blood Sugar
Nearly one in five people with diabetes are regularly unable to attend a full day at work due to disruption caused by episodes of dangerously low blood sugar, known as a hypoglycaemic event.1 A new survey, focusing on productivity loss following hypoglycaemic events, was published today in the journal Value in Health. The survey was conducted with 1,404 people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes who had reported a hypoglycaemic event in the preceding month, in the US, UK, Germany and France.

This was at odds with my thinking... my preoccupation is with the opposite, I strive to keep mine down but then I suppose mod higher BS does not induce comparable symptoms... but longer term can be equally dangerous... 8)

Had some tremblin n wotnot last week and meas my BS and it was a low 4... nowt serious but now I keep some glucose in my pocket when on a bike ride...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Re: People With Diabetes Miss Up To 15 Working Hours Per Mon

I wish I could get included in just one survey that the media and others carry out....I been type1 26 years, and never had a day off sick due to hypo's, even though I had some pretty bad nocturnal ones.

How do these companies choose the people that they are going to use for their statistics??

anniep

None of the T1's I have known over the years have lost that much working time regularly, yes there have been episodes of illness but not on a regular basis .

Pumpfan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

As with all surveys, one wonders how the subjects were chosen.
If only they had sort my opinion!

I find it amazing that two full working days each month are taken off work for diabetes-related reasons. This will not be good news for any diabetic seeking a new job - why would any business want to employ someone who may take that much time off

I have had Type 1 diabetes since 1958, worked full time since graduation, still working, and have NEVER had time off work due to hypoglycemia.

imalittlefishy

Couldn't say for work as I am merely a layabout student 8) but in 9 years of T1, I have missed I think 1 day of school, 1 day of college and maybe 2 lectures...possibly 15 hours in 9 years but certainly not per month!
xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

donnellysdogs said:
I wish I could get included in just one survey that the media and others carry out....I been type1 26 years, and never had a day off sick due to hypo's, even though I had some pretty bad nocturnal ones.

How do these companies choose the people that they are going to use for their statistics??

Same here DD, never missed a day off work in 30 years due to a hypo although I count myself lucky in this respect.

Nigel

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

When I was a Manager for large PLC companies in distribution centres, it so used to annoy me when people would go off sick with colds....etc. I was told when I became diabetic that I WOULD get complications...so I tried to avoid taking days off for anything..incase I needed to later.....I never did.....I had one chap that came to me for a return to work feigning he had a migarine (but he had been spotted out riding his motorbike)...after my grilling him....he walked out of the building never to be seen working for our company again!!! A bit ashamed of this in some ways now, but I couldn't stand people taking days off and lying...when I had a lifetime illness and did everything I possibly could to always be at work!!!!

I always wanted to be an example for other diabetics...and for our HR departments thinking that if they saw me never having a day off, then they wouldn't have any hesitation in employing other diabetics.....

If I was still management, with those figures I would be doubtful at emoloying a diabetic....HOWEVER.......how does this compare to 'others'......I know the government and local government figures are huge for sick days!!!!!

millymole

I have found that people wigh chronic illness or disability grit their teeth and work even harder just to prove that they are as good if not better than their able bodied/healthy fellow employees.
Good health everyone.
MM