type1 type2 they still dont know my nuts done in

2808myles

Hello,got the blood test back i was waiting on,but it was over the phone and i was told they still don't know if i,m 1 or 2,i've been on novomix 30 for 8 years 1000 metformin in the morning 500 at lunch 1000 at teatime,my novomix is down to 8 in the morning and 4 at teatime.The sister told me they were going to put me on some tablet,cant remember the name,but she was telling me that i would be stopping my insulin,so i asked if i was stopping the metformin as well and the reply was oh i never knew you were on that :lol: couldn't make it up,she then say,s just stay on what your taking just now as she is going on holiday and phone her a week on Monday with my b/sugars diary.My sugars are bang on and i am getting worried there going to mess about with trial and error and i,m of the mind to tell them that i want this explained to me in detail as i am entitled and not with them all whispering behind my back.The blood test was sent to see if i was secreting i think,but i,m getting worried,if anybody can help me please reply
i think the tablet was glucazide or something

regards

alastair

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You really need to discuss this with your doctor !

However my thoughts on your post.

If you were a Type 1 for 8 years and they stopped your insulin you would die.....

As you have been on Metformin and they are thinking of putting you onto Gliclizide, both these are drugs for treating Type 2 Diabetes so in all probability you have been a Type 2 on Insulin. There seems to be a lot of confusion even amongst the medical profession about Insulin use.

A Type 1 needs Insulin to live, there is no other option.

A Type 2 can be treated by diet, oral medication or injected medication one of which is Insulin. Just because a Type 2 goes onto Insulin does not suddenly make them a Type 1, they are simply a Type 2 on Insulin.

BTW Gliclizide makes the Pancreas produce Insulin. Again, a Type 1 cannot do this as, usually there is either very little or no Beta cell function in a Type 1.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Bloody hell, things like this make me glad this forum exists!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, Alistair this is unbelievable!!! :shock: it shouldnt be happening, you are right to be worried n concerned... Please phone them up tomorrow and request a meeting to have it all explained to you as this is your patient right. Ask all the questions you feel u need to also and ask for full explanations to your querie's and questions, plus IF it was me in your shoes I would insist on fully knowing exactly what "type" you are , as leaving you in limbo is unfair n unprofessional in my book! This way putting the pressure n emphasis on them might just give you the exact information you both need n seek.Stand your ground be both nice AND firm its your health and its their duty of care to you. Let us know how you go on please. Anna.x :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again Alastair!

I've just logged in cos I saw your post and am quite concerned about you! OK, from what you've said, it sounds like they didn't find the GAD antibodies in your blood and have thererore decided to treat you as a Type 2. Gliclazide is a drug that stimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin - if you are Type 2 and not overweight and not particularly insulin resistant, this might work. If, as we were discussing before, you are LADA, it can make matters worse. I think by the fact they are doing this, they beleive you are Type2. You must ask whether you are Type 2 and what leads thm to believe this or whether there is any chance you are LADA - you are clearly not Type 1. The fact the nurse doesn't know you are on metformin is worrying - she has not read or understood your case properly. Ask to see a consultant to have it explained to you. If you are LADA, this would be a backward step and could lead to the condition progressing to Type 1 more quickly - if you are Type2, it might be the best course of action. If you go with it, test before and two hours after every meal - if you spike high on relatively low levels of carb (20g or less) but are 'normal' (5 -7) in between food and at fasting, go back immediately to your doctor as this is a sign of LADA. Please let me know how you get on - I'll look out for your posts.

Smidge

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
smidge's post is spot on. Make sure you see a consultant and get everything fully explained to you before letting anyone change your medication.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Just to put my tuppenceworth in, I like the OP was in the position of the doctors not knowing whether I was T1 or T2 for years, I am on insulin with metformin, eventually they decided I was a MODY so that's another possibility. V frustrating that there are more than two types of diabetes but still most doctors only think in terms of T1 or T2. Does it run in your family OP?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Margi said:
:?: Please tell: what are LADA and MODY? Types 1 and 2 I understand.

LADA: latent autoimmune diabetes in Adults. A slower onset form of T1 diabetes in adults. It can take some years from diagnosis to insulin dependence so often mis diagnosed as T2. The destruction of the beta cells though an (or a series of) autoimmune attack.
MODY: Mature Onset Diabetes of the Young. This is really misnamed, it was first thought to be a type 2 in young people but it can be diagnosed at later ages. It is an inherited defect in insulin deficiency. They have isolated specific gene mutations so there are several slightly different types: MODY 1-6, but it's expensive to test for them (and you could have one that hasn't yet been discovered!)

There are lots of other sorts of diabetes,caused by such diverse things as Cushings disease, hemochromatosis ( a disease of too much iron), or in people that have cystic fibrosis. It's a very long list . On top of this researchers are finding lots of other variations that don't fit easily into T1, or T2 boxes.