What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Did your BGs correct themselves? I've had a few like that but usually it's when I'm unwell or getting better. Hugs xx

No, not really - very slow descent from FBG until dinner. I ate my meal (pork belly - no carbs) at 5pm (pre dinner my BG was 5.9) then two hours later it was 6.7 then carried on going up slowly until I went to bed on 7.1. Woke up this morning to 8.8. I have NO idea what's going on. No pains or sniffles, just my normal arthritis joint pain.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @shelley262 We got the vet over with. He and his brother are definitely showing their age, sigh...what does looking after the now-frisky (yay!!) Cooper entail?
@maglil55 so glad the routine had calming effect on #1! If I were not on my phone, I’d give you “Winner” for doing that for him
The school is very good at looking for solutions plus we are lucky to have support staff in the school. He was bullied all the time for the first 2 years and it's taken almost another 2 years to deal with the aftermath but we're getting there. He was great this morning. We had a game of chess in class but he beat me in 4 moves! Don't think my brain was engaged. He did come after me when I was leaving but it was just because he wanted to show me to the door and hold it for me.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, not really - very slow descent from FBG until dinner. I ate my meal (pork belly - no carbs) at 5pm (pre dinner my BG was 5.9) then two hours later it was 6.7 then carried on going up slowly until I went to bed on 7.1. Woke up this morning to 8.8. I have NO idea what's going on. No pains or sniffles, just my normal arthritis joint pain.
I'd be inclined to wait and see if something emerges. Mine are a bit like an early warning system of an incoming bug. Legs usually are first with severe cramps and pain, BGs are next then whatever it is emerges 2 days later.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
FBG 8.8 this morning. I don't think this OMAD is suiting my metabolism at all (although I've not felt hungry and it feels 'right' mentally). So I'm at a bit of a loss. I think I'll go back to having some breakfast tomorrow to stop the FBG from going any higher. I am tempted to do a 48 hour fast to see what happens. It can't get any worse. :banghead:

Today's OMAD meal will be baked gammon with a side of slow cooked red cabbage. Drinks will be black decaff coffee or still spring water.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

daisy22

I had 1 digestive biscuit with coffee for breakfast, well in fact 3 coffees.

Then for lunch 1 piece of homemade bread (18gms) with 3 egg scrambled with creme fraiche.

For dinner I'm trying a low carb home made chicken pie with a spinach and cream cheese sauce. My own mixture so not sure what it will taste like. I've never made low carb pastry before but took a recipe from diet Dr. It didn't look like real pastry.

I still have a dash of semi skimmed milk in my coffees. I've tried almond, coconut milks and cream but don't like any of them.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Hope everyone had a good day or at the very least played a poor hand like a pro. Weather here was good for late Jan. Another OMAD - needs to be TWOMAD I think but I need to earn that first. Food pleasant - sounds like damning with faint praise as it was chosen and cooked with love but it is very wrong to lie (ticked all boxes i.e. grass fed, grown, slaughtered and butchered on the farm).. Timing is perfect for winter so that is a plus.
Much pintage of tea until 16.20 ; Evening meal 16.40: Much meat from the 2kg 3 bone Jacob’s ladder ; swede, celeriac and greens bubble and squeak from Sunday; cauliflower and cabbage; gravy; 2 pints of tea either side for satiety.
@Goonergal take my hat off to you for eating carnivore. I wouldn't even have bothered eating that without the veg. Methinks with your short rib luvin you would have liked the hunk of meat.
Edit: Short rib more Ianp pleasing cold

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Walnuts, cheese, 1 avocado over both break and lunchtime, then dinner using up some turkey breast mince bought before my lchf epiphany and fried in much goose fat with ground flax, garlic salt and spring onion greens, few sprouts with butter on the side.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Homemade granola, hi lo toast and butter.
Lunch: Peters yard mini sourdough crackers (about 8 g carbs), cucumber, cherry tomatoes,, mixed olives, half a cheese stuffed pepper due to black icky bits in centre:meh:. Two giant strawberries with cream and chocolate granola.
Dinner: Chicken breast in parmesan and pork crunch coating, roasted peppers, sweet potato, red onion and mushrooms. Raspberry coconut clafoutis in line with @Kingmidas adventures in coconut
bare with a cup of tea
sounds chilly in this weather!

Kingmidas

Breakfast - nice big bucket of tea ... okay, maybe 2, and 2 of my coconut macaroons

Lunch - chorizo, sliced peppers, olives, pecans, mexicana cheese, tomatoes and mixed salad

Afternoon snack - Atkins coconut bar

Dinner - pan fried ribeye steak with courgettes and baby corn (all in the same pan). Halo top and SF jelly

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot drinks through the day. Probably too much coffee as I had a headache and felt quite dizzy around 4 pm
Dinner was DD garam masala chicken with the DD garlic naan bread. I love these. A dollop of Greek yogurt and handful of nuts afterwards as I was still hungry, think I ate too fast. ( @shelley262 I will have a go at the Headspace mindful eating course, think that’d help)

@maglil55 I’ve been thinking about you today with all the snow warnings in your neck of the woods. Hope it doesn’t cause too much disruption. ( haven’t read back posts yet so sorry if you’ve mentioned it)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG 8.8 this morning. I don't think this OMAD is suiting my metabolism at all (although I've not felt hungry and it feels 'right' mentally). So I'm at a bit of a loss. I think I'll go back to having some breakfast tomorrow to stop the FBG from going any higher. I am tempted to do a 48 hour fast to see what happens. It can't get any worse. :banghead:

Today's OMAD meal will be baked gammon with a side of slow cooked red cabbage. Drinks will be black decaff coffee or still spring water.

Sympathies @Chook sometimes there doesn’t seem any rhyme or reason apart from pure cussedness.
Like you I’m flitting between different regimes trying to find the right one for me. Good luck.

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast lemon and ginger water, chia seeds with almond milk and blueberries
Lunch Miso soup and whole grain rice and quinoa.
Dinner olives, cauliflower with cheese and pepper, and the rest of the chia dessert.
Approx 4 cups of coffee and 3 cups of tea.
Aldi have some great vegan low carb products at the moment x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot drinks through the day. Probably too much coffee as I had a headache and felt quite dizzy around 4 pm
Dinner was DD garam masala chicken with the DD garlic naan bread. I love these. A dollop of Greek yogurt and handful of nuts afterwards as I was still hungry, think I ate too fast. ( @shelley262 I will have a go at the Headspace mindful eating course, think that’d help)

@maglil55 I’ve been thinking about you today with all the snow warnings in your neck of the woods. Hope it doesn’t cause too much disruption. ( haven’t read back posts yet so sorry if you’ve mentioned it)
Hi yes the mindfulness course is helping me to eat more steadily and pace it better so feel fuller after my small meals. I’ve now been doing it for three weeks - there are 30 sessions so a few more to go. It’s a hard one I’m finding as it’s about noting thoughts and feelings and I’ve opted for the 20 min sessions but good results. I try to make time too too for a short 10 min end of tohe day session as I love the sunshine technique makes me feel very good. I’d recommend trying it.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope everyone keeping warm
Breakfast bacon,egg and four LC seeded crispbreads (love the new version and staying very crisp several days later which is good news)
Lunch one savoury lc muffin, small amount of nuts and one square 95% chocolate.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and asparagus and glass of white wine spritzer followed by lc raspberry mousse served with dollop of fage yoghurt.
Planning lots of prep and cooking over next few days as family coming over this weekend to celebrate eldest sons birthday which is on Saturday. Didn’t get to see OHs brother and partner at Christmas as they had just moved to wales and hectic so as they are visiting we are also planning a family Christmas dinner - a double celebration.
Hope everyone has a good restful evening. I’m just about to be noble and peel, cut, par boil and then freeze potatoes for the roasties to go with the Christmas dinner! Must wash my hands very carefully before take my bloods!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. It keeps trying to snow but get a few flurries then the rain takes over. Now, my spell checked, carefully typed meals for today:
Breakfast - 2 cups of coffee with my protein peanut and chocolate BAR
Lunch - 2 slices pastrami, a handful of chopped turkey and 2 chunks of applewood smoked cheddar with more coffee
Late afternoon - small handful dry roasted peanuts
Dinner - 2 Morrison’s best cheddar quarter pounders (2.3g carb each), each burger sandwiched between bacon slices and cheese, with some lettuce, tomato and a large spoonful of coleslaw
And made an effort to up my water intake so 4 pints of it drank today which is good going for me

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. It keeps trying to snow but get a few flurries then the rain takes over. Now, my spell checked, carefully typed meals for today:
Breakfast - 2 cups of coffee with my protein peanut and chocolate BAR
Lunch - 2 slices pastrami, a handful of chopped turkey and 2 chunks of applewood smoked cheddar with more coffee
Late afternoon - small handful dry roasted peanuts
Dinner - 2 Morrison’s best cheddar quarter pounders (2.3g carb each), each burger sandwiched between bacon slices and cheese, with some lettuce, tomato and a large spoonful of coleslaw
And made an effort to up my water intake so 4 pints of it drank today which is good going for me
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bare Yesterday was fine - that is bare coffee:angelic:

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

We're OK so far. Highlands are taking the brunt of it. Car was slightly iced this morning but I was gone in 3 mins. It's certainly getting chilly again but no problems yet *touch wood, touch wood,touch wood! It could all change of course.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs