Severe Telling Off!

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back from the G.P and just been told I now need to lose weight urgently to prevent insulin use (currently T2 oral meds maximum available doses) I’m honest enough to admit I’ve been in denial and ignorance of my condition this last 18 months and the weight has now piled on (approx. 21st) but i really need help. Medical professionals can only give so much help and I’m hoping users here will help give me courage and strength to battle this next few months. Truth is I just don’t know where to begin/what to eat/what to avoid/exercise/slimming groups. Is the simple answer lose weight and cut out sugar?! TIA, Sean.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Sean and Welcome

I am paging @Daisy 1 for her excellent advice to beginners. Many of us focus on reducing our carbohydrate intake, not just the visible sugars. Can you give us an idea of what meds you are on?

bbest wishes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from the G.P and just been told I now need to lose weight urgently to prevent insulin use (currently T2 oral meds maximum available doses) I’m honest enough to admit I’ve been in denial and ignorance of my condition this last 18 months and the weight has now piled on (approx. 21st) but i really need help. Medical professionals can only give so much help and I’m hoping users here will help give me courage and strength to battle this next few months. Truth is I just don’t know where to begin/what to eat/what to avoid/exercise/slimming groups. Is the simple answer lose weight and cut out sugar?! TIA, Sean.
Hey @Type-2-Havent-A-Clue ,
And welcome! You've come to the right place. People here know tons, and each and every one of the T2's here have been in your shoes. (So we know about denial, the ton of bricks you're hit with at diagnosis, the anger, the helplessness, the fear etc... And what comes next to fix it!). First I'll tag @daisy1 for her info-sheet, but while I'm typing most likely 3 other people'll do that too. ;) It is THAT useful.

Anyway.... So you're a T2, you want to avoid insulin shots and you need to loose weight. The same solution applies for both of those things: The low carb, high fat diet. You can get in-depth info on everything T2 related in the Diabetes Code book by Dr. Jason Fung, but I'm going to keep it relatively short... (And this is going to be a long post. Sorry. ;) ).

So... People tend to assume you get T2 because you're big. Not true. 10% of T2's never were overweight to begin with. but once you slowly become prediabetic, the weight starts piling on. it's a symptom, not a cause. We have to make more and more insulin because we've become resistant to it. Practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose once ingested. (That's important to know!). And usually, insulin helps us burn that glucose as fuel. but when we're resistant, that glucose gets stored in fat cells. Things go from bad to worse, and by the time the stores are full, glucose is everywhere; in our bloodstream, in our eyeballs, kidneys, messing up bloodvessels, what have you... It's not good. That's when we're T2's.

So now you know processing carbs (and their resultant glucose) is the problem. Now, carbs are one of the three macro-nutrients. The others are protein and fats. If you cut one, you up the others, to feel full and to still get enough micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals). Protein can cause a tiny rise in bloodsugars, so those in moderation, but fats... now, fats don't cause even so much as a blip. Better yet, fats, when consumed with a tiny bit of carbs, slow down the carb uptake and thus the bloodsugar spike post-meal. That's a good thing. So everything we've ever been told, about fats being the baddy, it all goes out the window. Guess what: bacon's your new best friend.

For quite a few people here, following the low carb/high fat diet worked, and we tend to pretty much swear by it. For me, I lost 50 pounds, lowered my cholesterol to proper levels even with eating bacon once or twice a day, and it got me into the normal non diabetic range and off the diabetes medication. Which I am assuming you are on, because they're not going to jump from nothing to insulin, so... BE CAREFUL....!!! Don't jump into low carb feet first when you have meds that can bring on hypo's! And use your meter often!!! Test before a meal and 2 hours after first bite. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could process back out again. But also, considering you're probably on a bunch of medication, check when you feel a little off in case of potential hypo's. (Really, you want to start this diet under medical supervision, but it doesn't sound like your doc is on board with this if you have no info to go on and have to resort to asking a forum... But if you can get your nurse to keep an eye out maybe?)... In any case... I can't stress this enough; if you change your diet, your bloodsugars will go down. And since we don't know what you're on, I really do have to warn you about hypo's and the like if you're on bloodsugar lowering meds. Be. Very. Careful.

That said...
High carb fods that are best avoided: Bread, potatoes, rice, corn, cereals/muesli/weetabix etc, fruits (other than berries, avocado, tomato and starfruit), anything made with wheat/oats or whatever really, anything starchy like beans or sugary drinks or pastries.... No good for your bloodsugars. Not at all.
Low carb foods that'll help you get your bloodsugars and weight down: Meat, fish, poultry, above ground veggies/leafy greens, cheese, eggs, full fat greek yoghurt, proper butter, cream, olives, extra dark chocolate (85% and up, I kid ye not), nuts, that sort of thing.

You'll find a load of recipies over on dietdoctor.com or on the website that goes with this forum. Or if you want to eat something but you don't know how to prepair it so it's low carb, just type keto with whatever you're looking for in google and something'll come up.

I'm no good in the kitchen, I tend to keep things simple. So for me, moast meals look like this:
Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

Snacks? Pork scratchings, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate, nuts. :)

If I'm out and about with my husband and I can't find a place that has salads, (affordable) meat or eggs for me, I can actually go to McDonalds or Burger King. I give the salads there a wide berth because of battered chicken corn or dressing, but the burgers.....!!! Just order 'em without the bun. It's the difference between 30 to 40 grams of carbs, or just 5.

In any case... You're going to be fine. And the doc can keep the insulin. You can do this...!
Jo

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @Type-2-Havent-A-Clue ,
And welcome! You've come to the right place. People here know tons, and each and every one of the T2's here have been in your shoes. (So we know about denial, the ton of bricks you're hit with at diagnosis, the anger, the helplessness, the fear etc... And what comes next to fix it!). First I'll tag @daisy1 for her info-sheet, but while I'm typing most likely 3 other people'll do that too. ;) It is THAT useful.

Anyway.... So you're a T2, you want to avoid insulin shots and you need to loose weight. The same solution applies for both of those things: The low carb, high fat diet. You can get in-depth info on everything T2 related in the Diabetes Code book by Dr. Jason Fung, but I'm going to keep it relatively short... (And this is going to be a long post. Sorry. ;) ).

So... People tend to assume you get T2 because you're big. Not true. 10% of T2's never were overweight to begin with. but once you slowly become prediabetic, the weight starts piling on. it's a symptom, not a cause. We have to make more and more insulin because we've become resistant to it. Practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose once ingested. (That's important to know!). And usually, insulin helps us burn that glucose as fuel. but when we're resistant, that glucose gets stored in fat cells. Things go from bad to worse, and by the time the stores are full, glucose is everywhere; in our bloodstream, in our eyeballs, kidneys, messing up bloodvessels, what have you... It's not good. That's when we're T2's.

So now you know processing carbs (and their resultant glucose) is the problem. Now, carbs are one of the three macro-nutrients. The others are protein and fats. If you cut one, you up the others, to feel full and to still get enough micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals). Protein can cause a tiny rise in bloodsugars, so those in moderation, but fats... now, fats don't cause even so much as a blip. Better yet, fats, when consumed with a tiny bit of carbs, slow down the carb uptake and thus the bloodsugar spike post-meal. That's a good thing. So everything we've ever been told, about fats being the baddy, it all goes out the window. Guess what: bacon's your new best friend.

For quite a few people here, following the low carb/high fat diet worked, and we tend to pretty much swear by it. For me, I lost 50 pounds, lowered my cholesterol to proper levels even with eating bacon once or twice a day, and it got me into the normal non diabetic range and off the diabetes medication. Which I am assuming you are on, because they're not going to jump from nothing to insulin, so... BE CAREFUL....!!! Don't jump into low carb feet first when you have meds that can bring on hypo's! And use your meter often!!! Test before a meal and 2 hours after first bite. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could process back out again. But also, considering you're probably on a bunch of medication, check when you feel a little off in case of potential hypo's. (Really, you want to start this diet under medical supervision, but it doesn't sound like your doc is on board with this if you have no info to go on and have to resort to asking a forum... But if you can get your nurse to keep an eye out maybe?)... In any case... I can't stress this enough; if you change your diet, your bloodsugars will go down. And since we don't know what you're on, I really do have to warn you about hypo's and the like if you're on bloodsugar lowering meds. Be. Very. Careful.

That said...
High carb fods that are best avoided: Bread, potatoes, rice, corn, cereals/muesli/weetabix etc, fruits (other than berries, avocado, tomato and starfruit), anything made with wheat/oats or whatever really, anything starchy like beans or sugary drinks or pastries.... No good for your bloodsugars. Not at all.
Low carb foods that'll help you get your bloodsugars and weight down: Meat, fish, poultry, above ground veggies/leafy greens, cheese, eggs, full fat greek yoghurt, proper butter, cream, olives, extra dark chocolate (85% and up, I kid ye not), nuts, that sort of thing.

You'll find a load of recipies over on dietdoctor.com or on the website that goes with this forum. Or if you want to eat something but you don't know how to prepair it so it's low carb, just type keto with whatever you're looking for in google and something'll come up.

I'm no good in the kitchen, I tend to keep things simple. So for me, moast meals look like this:
Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

Snacks? Pork scratchings, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate, nuts. :)

If I'm out and about with my husband and I can't find a place that has salads, (affordable) meat or eggs for me, I can actually go to McDonalds or Burger King. I give the salads there a wide berth because of battered chicken corn or dressing, but the burgers.....!!! Just order 'em without the bun. It's the difference between 30 to 40 grams of carbs, or just 5.

In any case... You're going to be fine. And the doc can keep the insulin. You can do this...!
Jo

That’s incredible Jo! Thank you so much!

Reactions: jjraak

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Sean and Welcome

I am paging @Daisy 1 for her excellent advice to beginners. Many of us focus on reducing our carbohydrate intake, not just the visible sugars. Can you give us an idea of what meds you are on?

bbest wishes.

Glaucophage 1000mg twice a day
Gliclazide 80mg 4 times a day
Simvastatin 20mg nightly

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Let me ad to Jo's excellent post, if she hasn't covered it already: Do avoid processed foods, ready made meals etc. Cooking your own, if possible, is the way to go. Also steer clear of light products as they're not your friend. Go full fat full steam ahead :) Look up inspirational videos on YouTube. I'm on my wonky tablet (not that sort), so a bit tricky to post links right now, but maybe others have some good ones handy.
And a big welcome to you.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Type-2-Havent-A-Clue ,
Welcome to the nut house........just a word of warning as Jo has said........as you are on Gliclazide which is a med to make you produce more insulin you are at risk of Hypo's, having said that once you get to grips with carb reduction you should be able to drop this med altogether......:)

M

Member496333

If you only watch one thing it should be this. WARNING: as you are using oral hypoglycaemics do not embark on any of the advice within the video without first consulting your doctor and discussing how to safely monitor your glucose and adjust dosing. Be aware that it’s not unlikely that your doctor will strongly disapprove. However, the NHS now endorses low carbohydrate eating and so he/she should be aware by now.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are absolutely in the right place.
I arrived here in October more than a bit broken to be honest but am now healing quickly and full of bounce.
Deep breath, dive in, and let some of the pioneers show you the options until you find your own way.
For me it is lchf\keto, I am a very happy convert.

Reactions: Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Type-2-Havent-A-Clue .

i doubt many have a scoobies when they first get diagnosed.

i know i didn't.

many others have given great advice.

let me just add,...the part i would have found most helpful in the early days.

WHAT can i eat ?

While others will tell you the right foods for meals etc.

i have since found cooking to be the one way i get the food i need, without the c**p

However i now have these standing by in my fridge, so i NEVER go hungry.
(which i did, too often, in those early days..:bigtears: )

i've jut copied from another post i made, so apologies if it seems to refer to pints you haven't raised.
xxxx

My SURVIVAL Rations.

not the worlds best cook, or most committed to the kitchen, but i do ok.

'snacks'..aka something to eat to keep hunger at bay, until you do cook your main meal.

for that i have
*greek yoghurt, a pot or lidl do 4 individual pots..(i like that)
* blueberries usually, sometimes rasp/black/straw berries.
* avocado
NUTS
*brazil nuts, pecan nuts, almonds, and
*seeds of some sort..(pound store do trail packs of different types)
once i open i place separately into plastic tupperware type things in fridge door.

all g = carbs per 100g

other have suggested , which i now also use
*biltong (Carbs: 5.5g x100g .25g pack enough )
.never considered it, it's now a staple in our fridge..when missus isn't nicking it.
*pepperami...similar can be bought, but peperami come in individual strips,
great for a snack or to throw in and add to a packed lunch.
cold meats..
*chicken, ham, bacon joint..cooked by me or shop bought
all co exist and are usually gone by the use by date
( much less waste in our fridge since i changed diet)
*peanut butter..whole earth (7.4g)
*celery, great for fibre and suits creamy cheese and peanut butter, i've since discovered. (yum)
*boiled eggs..great, nice and simple
* ryvita..i no longer do bread :bigtears:..but ryvita provides the comfort blanket i sometimes need
i find i can tolerate it quite well..(red quinoa 1 slice 5.3g)
* olives.
* tomatoes
*cheeses (cream & hard)
*coleslaw
*salad/lettuce

i find milk (full fat ) helps when i'm hungry and want to wait to eat

most of my meals i cook that evening, as i never know what i fancy, and all the above can pad out
any bit of meat etc i do bring home.

..i cook the one main meal, but divide that into two, one half tonight the other is tomorrow's lunch/dinner..
left overs are great too...if i cook swede and broccoli/cabbage/spinach, i fry the leftovers up next day and have with bacon, eggs, steak, etc..a meal in minutes.

xxxx

Do be sensitive to your needs re meds etc.
i am on metformin only, and confess to little awareness of how much injected insulin or other meds will be impacted by certain foods/or food regimes.

Hope some of that helps.

and Welcome to the best little Forum..you didn't want to join.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we just check you understand hypos, their symptoms and what to do about them? I am hoping you have a test meter and are able to use it? Sadly not every dr has explained this when prescribing gliclazide, nor the importance of testing.

Ideally you will have medical support in lowering your meds as the carbs are dropped and your blood sugars drop. If you do this, and it is so worth doing, keep going back if the numbers you get suggest the meds are doing more than you now need. I don’t mean to scare you but it is very important meds match sugars especially on the way down. I was lucky and didn’t have to make this adjustment but plenty in here have done it and can be of more use than me. Just ask.

It all sounds scary and daunting and possibly a massive change. Some jump in full on. Some do it step by step. Almost all that do commit to it find it easier than they first thought it would be and feel so much better for it that the sacrifices seem worth it. After a while it doesn’t feel so much of a sacrifice after all. Taste buds change. Cravings fade away. Good health is not so far away anymore. We’ve been there too and understand and will offer all the support we can.

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve literally just thrown stuff out of the fridge onto my plate so could someone say if I’m in the ballpark with the simple things...

2 boiled eggs
Spring onions
Small cubes cathedral city cheese
Tin of sardines in extra virgin olive oil

Odd concoction yes but I want to eliminate or cut back on the things that may help me to lose a few inches on the waist line.

Hungry19

We have all had the fear of God n Cold sweats - have orange juice or summit to hand for your hypos - mine passed in ten minutes . Explain to those close to you what is happening - so they don’t panick .
There is always at end of NHS line or have a friend to hand.

My tips to lower Blood Sugar other than Ketto diet fast , and loose weight n cravings.

1.Cinnamon (teaspoon in anything)
2.Apple cider vinegar (with mother) amazon/Holland barrat
3.water - 3+ litres
4.CBD oil - search online - £30
5.lavender in diffuser- relaxation
6.Epsom Salt Baths daily
7.no sugar/bread/rice/potatoes
8. Soups (onion/chicken broth)- weight of food in our stomach triggers a full feeling(not activated by water). Also triggers vowels - go when you have urge.
9.walk/movement after meals.
10.dr fung/dr Berry/dr berg/dr Bernstein on YouTube etc
11. Check the insulin load of foods(online)

It’s about learning to eat what’s right so you have power to stop from eating the stuff that’s not appropriate for diabetics.

You can do this

Reactions: jjraak

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve literally just thrown stuff out of the fridge onto my plate so could someone say if I’m in the ballpark with the simple things...

2 boiled eggs
Spring onions
Small cubes cathedral city cheese
Tin of sardines in extra virgin olive oil

Odd concoction yes but I want to eliminate or cut back on the things that may help me to lose a few inches on the waist line.

Nothing odd about that, throw in some salad leaves and it's absolutely perfect for me.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s a low carb shopping list to help get the right food
IMG_0862.jpg

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Here’s a low carb shopping list to help get the right food View attachment 30928
But don't buy all of them at once :D I find that I tend to buy the same amounts of food as I did before starting this 'show'. The result is that while my fridge is full, so am I. I still have to get used to buying smaller amounts as I eat less.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everything that @JoKalsbeek has said. Your life, feet, kidneys and eyes depend on you advoiding all food and drink that contains suger or carbs. Natural sugger is just as bad as added suger.

Otherwise try to take a short walk after each meal, and while not sleeping never to remain sitting for more then a hr without standing up and moving about. If you feel up to it, "resistance training" would help. But nothing else is as important as cutting out all carbs and suger.

There is no need to lose weight to control blood glocose, but it is licky you will loose weight when you cut carbs. Hence don't think about your weight until you have got your BG under control with low-carb.