Newly diagnosed - overwhelmed!

Ponchu

Quite a lot of T2's on these forums have found they need to cut out bread (white, brown, wholemeal, all), rice, pasta, potatoes and many supposedly good for you fruits as they are all carb heavy foods, but it is different for everyone, if they spike your blood sugar then you know you can't really deal with them.

That’s the bad news. Sorta.

The good news is the way people report feeling after about 30 days of healthy eating.

For me, in a similar situation as yours:

High natural fats. We cleaned out every lab oil in the house. No processed foods w their “less than 1% sugar” (yeah? So why the need to add it? Why the need for 60 different names?)

Low carb for me meant going 20 carbs a day or lower.

Bacon, eggs, sausage, steaks, chicken, bone broths, pork, etc all eaten without guilt (now).

I did the “low fat, heart health” gov’t diet that made me fat and unhealthy.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Hi – congratulations on surviving the heart attack. It’s given you a second chance and great to see you’ve come here to make the most of it.
You’ve had lots of great advice so far so I’ll try to not to muddy the water with much more.
This is all very overwhelming at first but if you take this day by day you can start to build a plan to deal with this shock. Try to break it into manageable chunks.
I wrote a blog about my first 50 days with Type 2 – you may find it resonates. Link below:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/type-2-my-first-50-days.2190/

Reactions: Ponchu

Shazdonn123

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I have cut out all carbs for the time being and my blood sugar is so much lower . I am seeing the doctor next week to discuss if this is safe due to my heart attack. Today my bloods were around 6.5 all day until I decided a Chinese takeaway would be a good idea. I had chicken and sweet corn soup with prawn crackers and a few salt and pepper ribs which I thought was a good choice. However my reading 2 hours later was 15! Would this be due to the prawn crackers?

M

Member496333

Prawn crackers are probably at least 50% carbohydrate so they will have played their part. Difficult to say about the rest of it, but you’re probably always taking a leap of faith hoping that food made by someone else doesn’t contain added sugars to some degree.

EDIT: apparently sweet corn soup is around 50% carbs and so are prawn crackers. Doh! Lesson learned there :)

Shazdonn123

Prawn crackers are probably at least 50% carbohydrate so they will have played their part. Difficult to say about the rest of it, but you’re probably always taking a leap of faith hoping that food made by someone else doesn’t contain added sugars to some degree.

EDIT: apparently sweet corn soup is around 50% carbs and so are prawn crackers. Doh! Lesson learned there :)
Wow really. Oh dear and I thought I was being good . Yes lesson learned.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow really. Oh dear and I thought I was being good . Yes lesson learned.
@Shazdonn123 it is early days for you yet and you are on a steep learning curve and will make the odd mistake but at least by testing you can see what food you can and cannot eat or eat in moderation ie smaller portions. We are all individuals and what one person can eat another cant so, at this stage, you are experimenting. My BS has been in normal levels for at least 5 years and even now I have the odd experiment and have something that should raise my BS but doesn’t eg jacket potato but others, such as scampi, are still my nemesis and raises my BS more than I would like so I tend to avoid it.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are in the right place.
I had my heart attack about 4 years ago and my T2 diagnosis last October.
During my cardiac rehab they heavily plugged the Eatwell plate with all its carbs and low fat and lacking anything else to go on I adopted it willingly and with zeal of a chap doing the right thing. It has taken the combined wisdom available on this site to move me from confused and devastated at diagnosis to empowered and in control. It is far too soon for me to offer anyone advice but you will find the answers you need here.
The Eatwell plate is in my dustbin, don't be surprised if that's where you end up putting yours.
Best of luck and more power to you!

Reactions: Ponchu and briped

Ponchu

You are in the right place.
I had my heart attack about 4 years ago and my T2 diagnosis last October.
During my cardiac rehab they heavily plugged the Eatwell plate with all its carbs and low fat and lacking anything else to go on I adopted it willingly and with zeal of a chap doing the right thing. It has taken the combined wisdom available on this site to move me from confused and devastated at diagnosis to empowered and in control. It is far too soon for me to offer anyone advice but you will find the answers you need here.
The Eatwell plate is in my dustbin, don't be surprised if that's where you end up putting yours.
Best of luck and more power to you!

This is so typical.

I find that obese medical professionals push the hardest.

“You gotta live, too, you know” is one’s favorite line about high carb eating.

Sad.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
“You gotta live, too, you know”
As if food determines your quality of life! Well, it does, but not the way your medical professional meant it, I'm sure.

Reactions: Flora123

Rosie B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for all of the quick responses and suggestions. Thank you Jo for the meal ideas too. As I thought I need to cut out the carbs and ensure that I replace with protein and fats. It's a good job I love salad and veg!
I wish I had come here first rather than reading all of the conflicting advice. I'm sure I will be back with more questions.
Thanks everyone.
Hi, like you I'm also newly diagnosed. On hrt too.
My Biggest change has been dropping the carbs. They were causing me some Huge spikes. So no bread, potatoes, rice or pasta for 3 weeks. I'm 12lb lighter for starts. And I'm hoping the blood sugar numbers will follow. My hbc1a was 82.
This group is superb and so much help available.
Hope things start to improve for you.

Noa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry to hear you've been so poorly and had such struggles. It must all have been very frightening for you. I hear your frustration in trying to get the right balance now with eating. I'm newly diagnosed and trying to find my feet with all of this. But you are in the right place here and I just want to encourage you to keep going, one step at a time and one day at a time, and make use of all the wisdom (through experience) and help available here. I hope you feel better soon.