New to Fisap

DickonPurdy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been on fiasp for just over a month now, generally its been an improvment over humalog i was on before. The only thing ive noticed is when I make a small correction to my blood sugars (say 1 or 2 units of fiasp) nothing seems to happen. Has anyone else experianced this?

D

Deleted Account

I have just been prescribe Fiasp but not tried it yet.
I am a pumper and have doses of less than 0.05 units every 5 minutes as my basal so hope I do not have the same experience as you.
I believe Fiasp is common amongst pumpers so surprised by your observation.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3 weeks after my appointment where change was decided I am still awaiting my Fiasp and half unit pen. Will let you know how it goes. Eventually!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been on fiasp for just over a month now, generally its been an improvment over humalog i was on before. The only thing ive noticed is when I make a small correction to my blood sugars (say 1 or 2 units of fiasp) nothing seems to happen. Has anyone else experianced this?
ive been on fiasp for months now and i have not experienced this i do quite a lot 1-2unit corrections and find it works well .maybe the exception might be if ive eaten a particulary fatty meal it doesnt work as quick but i tend to split the dose when i do this hope this helps and i hope you get this sorted :)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do little corrections with fiasp ever so often, and they're not by any means instant for me - sometimes it feels like they take an age. I'm putting it down to impatience though.

Kolin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a lot of others are saying. I do small corrections with fiasp a lot (0.5 units sometimes) and I've not noticed this problem.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sadly, yes. This is colloquially known as the "Fiasp-as-water" effect and quite a lot of us have seen it. It also manifests as "I've bolused for food but my glucose levels won't stop rising" and "I've had to take three times as much insulin as normal to manage that meal".

It can be really frustrating and seems to affect a fair number of T1Ds. It's also not always obvious when or why it's happening. YOu have to keep an eye on it. One of the things that many pumpers have noticed is that Correction factor and Carb Ratio changes dramatically. Mmy went from 1u:10g to 1u:5g when using Fiasp.

@helensaramay - pumpers are the people who are seeing some of the greatest issues with it, and Novo's own study which looked at Fiasp use in pumps didn't have amazing outcomes. It's the one ONSET study they haven't trumpeted the results of. I won't say it's a majority, but there's a fairly significant minority who have problems with it, and many consultants report people giving up on it fairly quickly.

Last edited:

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be really frustrating and seems to affect a fair number of T1Ds. It's also not always obvious when or why it's happening. YOu have to keep an eye on it. One of the things that many pumpers have noticed is that Correction factor and Carb Ratio changes dramatically. Mmy went from 1u:10g to 1u:5g when using Fiasp

Is that compared to novorapid? It's interesting if it is, because the insulin analogue is the same, there's just a couple of extra bits in fiasp to (apparently) help uptake.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is that compared to novorapid? It's interesting if it is, because the insulin analogue is the same, there's just a couple of extra bits in fiasp to (apparently) help uptake.
I'm completely convinced that it's the Nicotinamide in the mix causing the issues.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have been on Fiasp for a fair few months now and have not had this issue. 1 or 2 units usually start to take effect within 15 mins, compared to NovoSluggish which could take from 30 mins to an hour!

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly, yes. This is colloquially known as the "Fiasp-as-water" effect and quite a lot of us have seen it. It also manifests as "I've bolused for food but my glucose levels won't stop rising" and "I've had to take three times as much insulin as normal to manage that meal".

It can be really frustrating and seems to affect a fair number of T1Ds. It's also not always obvious when or why it's happening. YOu have to keep an eye on it. One of the things that many pumpers have noticed is that Correction factor and Carb Ratio changes dramatically. Mmy went from 1u:10g to 1u:5g when using Fiasp.

@helensaramay - pumpers are the people who are seeing some of the greatest issues with it, and Novo's own study which looked at Fiasp use in pumps didn't have amazing outcomes. It's the one ONSET study they haven't trumpeted the results of. I won't say it's a majority, but there's a fairly significant minority who have problems with it, and many consultants report people giving up on it fairly quickly.

Hi Tim, I can't remember who's blog I read but it might have been you. Did you not mix 50/50 Fiasp and NovoRapid to bring back the rapid Fiasp absorption profile that had diminished a few months after use?.

It seems to be that my carb ratio, onset and daily dose has become significantly worse for me. Fiasp seems to have no significant fast onset anymore, so perhaps I see the first activity at 60 mins, sometimes up to 80mins. I also find the same 'Fiasp like water' effect all too often.

From what I've heard there are good reports mixing two insulin aspart (commonly NovoRapid) for pump use. This seems to address the resistance to the B3 vitamin that causes the raise in insulin resistance, but also helps with a more balanced absorbtion profile that is much like the 15 mins onset that Fiasp commonly has when first using it.

I'll be starting this combo in the next couple of week. fingers crossed.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Tim, I can't remember who's blog I read but it might have been you. Did you not mix 50/50 Fiasp and NovoRapid to bring back the rapid Fiasp absorption profile that had diminished a few months after use?.

It seems to be that my carb ratio, onset and daily dose has become significantly worse for me. Fiasp seems to have no significant fast onset anymore, so perhaps I see the first activity at 60 mins, sometimes up to 80mins. I also find the same 'Fiasp like water' effect all too often.

From what I've heard there are good reports mixing two insulin aspart (commonly NovoRapid) for pump use. This seems to address the resistance to the B3 vitamin that causes the raise in insulin resistance, but also helps with a more balanced absorbtion profile that is much like the 15 mins onset that Fiasp commonly has when first using it.

I'll be starting this combo in the next couple of week. fingers crossed.
I used it for a bit, but then it also stopped working, so I went back to Humalog.

KBev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've sort of experience a bit of this....

I've just started using aspart (yesterday); I have noticed very little effect on my post meal BGs as yet, although I've not yet used it as a corrective dose (going to wait til the weekend in case it has any dramatic and unwanted hypo effects!). In fact it seems to be slower action compared to humalog.

I've read a few things about it not suiting everyone. Should I hang in there for a while?