What are you Snacking on this evening?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so much a snack I suppose but I am rather taken with a hot chocolate. Made with 80% chocolate, and cream. Whipped up in my hew hot chocolate Velvetiser (get me!), with whipped cream on top. Carbs around 8 and flipping delicious.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was eating the cup after drinking black coffee
Oh dear. Black coffee? Did your GP /nurse advise low fat, plenty of brown carbs? I note you have mentioned elsewhere you have a lot of weight to lose. Low fat and lots of carbs is not going to be much use. A bit of cream in the coffee will stop the hunger pangs.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any cheeky Freddo’s or fudges passing your lips?
Usually don't snack much, but when my husband has the munchies after dinner, sometimes I join in. He has his, I have mine. (If I don't munch, and he does, it gets too tempting to steal from him. Thankfully he takes most snacks to work with him.). So while he goes for cookies and crisps, I have nuts, olives (or other tapas like garlic shrimp or something) 85% dark chocolate, cheese... Maybe some celery sticks with a bit if hummus, if I've kept the carbs really low that day. Loved pork scratchings, but the only available brand at my regular supermarket gave me migraines due to the spices used. Meh.

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear. Black coffee? Did your GP /nurse advise low fat, plenty of brown carbs? I note you have mentioned elsewhere you have a lot of weight to lose. Low fat and lots of carbs is not going to be much use. A bit of cream in the coffee will stop the hunger pangs.

I thought black coffee was good for you??

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Usually don't snack much, but when my husband has the munchies after dinner, sometimes I join in. He has his, I have mine. (If I don't munch, and he does, it gets too tempting to steal from him. Thankfully he takes most snacks to work with him.). So while he goes for cookies and crisps, I have nuts, olives (or other tapas like garlic shrimp or something) 85% dark chocolate, cheese... Maybe some celery sticks with a bit if hummus, if I've kept the carbs really low that day. Loved pork scratchings, but the only available brand at my regular supermarket gave me migraines due to the spices used. Meh.

Garlic shrimp... sounds divine! Where can I find this recipe?!

M

Member496333

At the risk of sounding righteous, I’m also in the zero snacks gang. Not compatible with my mission objective.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Garlic shrimp... sounds divine! Where can I find this recipe?!
I just buy mine ready made from the local supermarket, but it's simply olive oil, crushed garlic, peper, salt and parceley. Just marinade jumbo shrimp in that for a few hours, and bob's your uncle. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been advised nothing as stated on a previous post. Just need to lower hba1c and my weight.
Ah, ok. Sorry. I would suggest that you have a look at the info previously provided by @daisy1 on another thread. It takes a while to get an understanding of what is happening to your blood glucose and how best to resolve things.
Best of luck to you.

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just buy mine ready made from the local supermarket, but it's simply olive oil, crushed garlic, peper, salt and parceley. Just marinade jumbo shrimp in that for a few hours, and bob's your uncle. :)

That also sounds an excellent suggestion for a bbq starter! Thanks again Jo!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been advised nothing as stated on a previous post. Just need to lower hba1c and my weight.

So take advice from this forum. We are all diabetics of one sort or another, with a vast amount of knowledge and experience between us.

Take it from me - put some double cream in your coffee. :)

The important thing is to reduce carbohydrate, in whatever form it comes. This will lower your blood glucose levels and also your weight. The more carbs you cut out, the more fats and protein you need to eat to replace the lost energy from the carbs. No need to be afraid of good fats - butter, cheese, full fat Greek yogurts, cream, eggs, nuts, avocado, mayonnaise, olive oil etc. An excellent meal is bacon, eggs, a tomato, mushrooms fried in butter and a high meat content sausage. What you cannot do is eat a high carb diet alongside a high fat diet - that will not help at all.

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So take advice from this forum. We are all diabetics of one sort or another, with a vast amount of knowledge and experience between us.

Take it from me - put some double cream in your coffee. :)

The important thing is to reduce carbohydrate, in whatever form it comes. This will lower your blood glucose levels and also your weight. The more carbs you cut out, the more fats and protein you need to eat to replace the lost energy from the carbs. No need to be afraid of good fats - butter, cheese, full fat Greek yogurts, cream, eggs, nuts, avocado, mayonnaise, olive oil etc. An excellent meal is bacon, eggs, a tomato, mushrooms fried in butter and a high meat content sausage. What you cannot do is eat a high carb diet alongside a high fat diet - that will not help at all.

What’s a typical day like for you meal wise?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What’s a typical day like for you meal wise?

My food isn't typical, partly because I am not a vegetable lover. The only time I have green veg is with a roast dinner on a Sunday. I eat a lot of eggs, meat, salmon, a lot of mushrooms and tomatoes, and full fat dairy. We use animal fats only for frying and roasting, I eat seeds. I allow myself some Burgen soya and linseed bread, never more than a slice a day, usually half a slice, and I do eat a few spuds maybe 3 times a week but no more than 2 small ones. I drink tea with a dash of milk, coffee with cream, and water. Oh .... and red wine.