Man pays tribute to his dog for improving his type 2 diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

A man has attributed a significant improvement in his type 2 diabetes to his rescue puppy. Ron Lightfoot from Salisbury was diagnosed with the condition in 2011, with his health declining further because of personal issues. A combination of physical and mental health problems forced him to retire early from his job of 30 years, which only caused more isolation for the 59-year-old. Speaking to the Daily Express newspaper, he said: "I had no reason to get up and get out of the house." His doctor had urged him to try to lose weight and focus on his diabetes management, but Ron struggled with motivation until he met his four-legged friend. Ron said: "Getting a dog had been mentioned a few times as a way to get me out and about, but until I retired, I wasn’t really in a position to commit to owning a dog." Because he no longer had work to think of, Ron decided to visit his local Dogs Trust rehoming centre, where he met Charlie the dog. Ron said that adopting Charlie has been "the best decision I have ever made" and the animal has given him "years of my life back". Together, they now walk 10 miles a day and Rob has lost nearly four stone in weight, greatly improving his type 2 diabetes. His mental health has also improved significantly. Ron said: "I’ve always liked the idea of walking to improve my health, the thought of doing it alone never appealed to me. That all changed the day I got Charlie because I knew that no matter what, he needed exercise. Little did I know that he would have quite such a profound impact on my life. "Without a shadow of a doubt, Charlie has not only done wonders for my physical health but having a reason to get out of bed has improved my state of mind. He is a cheeky chappy and makes me laugh every day. He loves meeting new people so, when we’re out on our walks, I end up chatting to people that I would’ve usually walked past if I didn’t have Charlie. "Now my days are full of walking and talking, which they definitely wouldn’t be if it wasn’t for Charlie. I feel like a better person since he came into my life. He genuinely has helped my soul." The Dogs Trust is a dog welfare charity that runs 21 dog rehoming centres in the UK and never puts healthy dogs to sleep.

Continue reading...

Reactions: Juicyj

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Now why doesn't the NHS pay for Charlie's food and keep?
He is saving them thousands.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Now why doesn't the NHS pay for Charlie's food and keep?
He is saving them thousands.

Are you being serious? You have made a similar comment before (on how the NHS should be responsible for what the papers (the Guardian, I seem to remember in this particular case) print wrt to the journalists report on studies). You seem to be of the opinion that the NHS is responsible and therefore liable for every woe in society.

To own and care for any animal is a personal undertaking, nowt to do with our health service.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Are you being serious? You have made a similar comment before (on how the NHS should be responsible for what the papers (the Guardian, I seem to remember in this particular case) print wrt to the journalists report on studies). You seem to be of the opinion that the NHS is responsible and therefore liable for every woe in society.

To own and care for any animal is a personal undertaking, nowt to do with our health service.
Hi @Guzzler, Perhaps my Aussie humour is too out of place. In the Guardian article, and I am going on memory too, it was that NHS should pay something, not financially, but in making good on any misinformation from them which the paper spouted, correct the paper so that less harm may result - in other words, to set to rights.
On this forum subject it was a way of saying how much this dog and the companionship with this human friend had saved the NHS in potential health costs. If the NHS funded this type of thing ( a service dog has had special training which costs) they might have money left over for other important things.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Guzzler, Perhaps my Aussie humour is too out of place. In the Guardian article, and I am going on memory too, it was that NHS should pay something, not financially, but in making good on any misinformation from them which the paper spouted, correct the paper so that less harm may result - in other words, to set to rights.
On this forum subject it was a way of saying how much this dog and the companionship with this human friend had saved the NHS in potential health costs. If the NHS funded this type of thing ( a service dog has had special training which costs) they might have money left over for other important things

I am a dog lover, always have been and there is no doubt in my mind that animals can and do improve health outcomes. The NHS is funded through taxes one of which is National Insurance Contributions. It is central government that decides how much the NHSs share of taxes it gets and successive governments have chronically underfunded the NHS for decades. So, the bean counters in the NHS have to divvy up that money on treatments, surgeries, therapys, drugs etc. To pay for an animal's upkeep including vets bills would mean taking funding from somewhere else like... ooh I don't know... CGMs or the latest chemo drugs or research studies. The NHS is not a perfect system but properly funded it could be an example to be held up to the world. There is also the question of abuse. Picture the scenario, my pet lowers my blood pressure therefore I'm saving the NHS money on fewer drugs, what pet is it? a tarantula/budgie/fish/micropig/handbag dog. You see the problem there?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just to add, I think a Porche would lower my A1c.... ;)

T2#Me

I feel the same about my dog Flint ... he has certainly helped my battle with T2 considerably. I meet other people in my walks who have similar relationships with their dogs ... it's heartwarming.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ain't dogs wonderful. Just the pleasure and loyalty they give must surely be beneficial to a person's health.

Ponchu

Ain't dogs wonderful. Just the pleasure and loyalty they give must surely be beneficial to a person's health.

IMG_1548930791.068773.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant story.

In my own case, the dogs definitely encourage me to be more active in many ways, from walking them daily, to getting up and opening doors, bending with food and water bowls, and interacting with them.

They are also brilliant companionship, and interacting with them (whole conversations sometimes ;) ) is a steady pleasure throughout the day.
Then there is the fresh air, interaction with others on dog walks, etc. etc.

The one thing I would suggest is that people are cautious in choosing their dog, if they are considering one for the first time. It took quite a bit of research before we chose the breed we did - and it certainly wasn't the breed I was expecting!

I had always like big dogs, such as boxers and spaniels and even wolf hounds. And the new trend for huskies appealed too.
But 5 mins on google showed how terribly unsuitable for us they would be.
Enjoying exercise is one thing, HAVING to trek 10s of miles every day in all weathers, is quite another!

My knees and back are showing signs of wear, and while walking is fine, controlling young big dogs on a lead would not be great for them or me, and helping heavy dogs in and out of the car, in our respective old ages, would be a big no no.

In the end we settled for small, active, companionable, not too barky and have been very happy with the choice.

I guess the point of my ramble is basically: do your research and choose a dog that won't just get you walking now, but will also be a suitable companion for you if your capacity to exercise diminishes a bit in the future.

D

Deleted member 308541

I was gunna get a comfort pig but changed my mind as it might would end up in a frying pan.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have dogs, and they are very beneficial for my health. They don't give me much extra exercise though, as anxiety and depression mean they usually have to make do with the garden. Luckily I have a big one!