What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SB.25,

I think it depends on the type of diabetes you have, meds you've been prescribed and your personal goals.

Just speaking for myself, I'd like to get as close as possible to normal non-diabetic levels (fasting and otherwise), but I don't have to worry about hypos as not on any medications.
Oh ok, I always wondered. My aim for now is to just get into single figures in the morning even if that is a 9 it would be nice!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm working my way through a bottle of Cotswolds gin at the moment...it's my favourite so far...Sipsmith is one I like too...who am I kidding...I love gin!...particularly the artisan ones...I'll look out for that...oddly enough I am in Harlow next week...who knows maybe there's some waiting for me.
So many gins....so little time. Have you tried Bloom? Got some for Christmas, liked it a lot, very gentle tastes like its good for you! Lol. Bombay Sapphire is what we call our house gin here though (its always on offer somewhere). Enough about gin this early in the day for heavens sake.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Good question. I guess for me its because I have been low carbing for over a year and would have hoped to have FBGs regularly in 5s by now. Many on forum are much lower. Low 6s are my natural level I think but its just a bug bear because it sets up my day as to whether I have to scale back my food or not. I do understand it must be frustrating for others who are struggling and maybe it would be best to just report the number...good point @SB.25!
Oh it doesn’t bother me about other people being disappointed in their low numbers at all. I just wondered why people want to get so low. As you say each person seems to have their own goals and that is what makes us all unique!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. A dastardly 6.7 this morning. Not sure if it was the 4 squares of Lindt 90 after dinner or roadtesting (twice) some Orange gin (it was pure gin not gin liquer so didnt think twice, twice). Oh well another day to try harder. Eye scan at hospital today, glad its lunchtime because its like a skating rink outside.
Have a good day everyone and take great care out and about.
The gin sounds nice

Best of luck today at hospital..:)

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I think it’s often people like me - type2s who control bgs via a very low carb way of eating and no or little medication but get higher readings even though eating in such a way that it doesn’t seem logical! Think most diet controlled diabetics feel relief at numbers in 6s if they have been naughty! And likewise delight at low numbers if they have been fasting or very very low carb the annoyance I believe is when it dosent seem logical. Well that reflects my own understanding of it!
I eat low carb and I’m on insulin and I still am in the 10+ which I also feel doesn’t make sense lol!

Very frustrating.

But I guess we each have our own targets

Reactions: Freema

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh it doesn’t bother me about other people being disappointed in their low numbers at all. I just wondered why people want to get so low. As you say each person seems to have their own goals and that is what makes us all unique!
I am sure your FBGs will improve as you go along if you do LCHF. But with FBGs the numbers being high or low can have no rhyme or reason and that can be annoying if you are trying hard. All the best.

Reactions: Freema and jjraak

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sure your FBGs will improve as you go along if you do LCHF. But with FBGs the numbers being high or low can have no rhyme or reason and that can be annoying if you are trying hard. All the best.
Let’s hope so although I’m 3 months in and they don’t seem to be dropping any further.

I also don’t seem to get below 8 over the course of the day. Do you find your levels go higher over the day?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Plymouth gin.jpg
I'm working my way through a bottle of Cotswolds gin at the moment...it's my favourite so far...Sipsmith is one I like too...who am I kidding...I love gin!...particularly the artisan ones...I'll look out for that...oddly enough I am in Harlow next week...who knows maybe there's some waiting for me.
My particular favorite in the way of Gins.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Just spoken to the DSN she’s told me to increase insulin at night but has said I may need to go on a basal bolus regime if it’s still not coming down - that is going to be discussed at my appointment on the 15th February.

Not really sure how I feel about that....

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just spoken to the DSN she’s told me to increase insulin at night but has said I may need to go on a basal bolus regime if it’s still not coming down - that is going to be discussed at my appointment on the 15th February.

Not really sure how I feel about that....
What were your readings when you first started? I see you've been at it for three months. My readings were still normalizing after three months. Decreasing steadily, but still in the higher levels. Even after six months I get the occasional spike. Maybe you need more time?

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Can I just ask a question... why is it that some people find it disappointing to wake up to a 6 or 7? I understood that anything up to this level was ok for a diabetic? Or am I missing something here......

(Not that I can talk as I’m always in double figures lol!). Any information appreciated

You raise a good question. My answer is purely from a T2 perspective: Anything above 7.0 is in the pre-diabetic range and now we understand the complications that can arise, getting below that is a good target to have, particularly if prior to eating a breakfast that could result in a spike (even protein raises BG a bit).

Personally I am hoping to be under 6, which would equate to an HBa1C of <36, which leaves some margin for the upticks in BG that occur over the course of normal eating day. I’m looking to improve on my last Hba1c test of 40, and get some clear blue water between me and diabetic danger.

However, I don’t often get there as my natural level (even on LCHF) seems to average around 6.2. 3 days in a row of <6 is a rare treat. I try to keep things in perspective, but still prefer the start the day pointing in the right direction.

Of course the tests can be volatile – you can test one minute on your left hand and then on your right, and get completely different results. So every test is a game of Deal or No Deal – do you want what the meter says, or do you want to test again (on the risk of a higher result)?

Keep asking questions and good luck in getting down into single figures – I hope you are finding guidance on here to help you with that.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
What were your readings when you first started? I see you've been at it for three months. My readings were still normalizing after three months. Decreasing steadily, but still in the higher levels. Even after six months I get the occasional spike. Maybe you need more time?
I think the problem is they still have not confirmed which type I am. I don’t have any of the usual indicators for type 2.... in 26 and a low BMI of 21. I’ve been put on slow release insulin but it hasn’t seem to have got me back in the good zone as I never go below 8!

When I first started my fasting levels were 17 and since being on the basal insulin I’ve managed to get down to around 10-12 which occasional blips of 13+.

My problem is I have to work so hard to even get them to 10! I.e. low carb and lots of walking.

The DSN said for now I need to aim for staying at 10 before I see the consultant on the 15th.

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all! 5.7 for me again first thing. I am quite happy with my morning BG levels lately. there is a consistency of readings begins to appear.. I keep a detailed log (first thing, before and after meals) of the measurements and stick the data onto a chart for easy reading. So far so good. Early days yet for any conclusions, just keep enjoying the ride/journey! You all have a good day!

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
You raise a good question. My answer is purely from a T2 perspective: Anything above 7.0 is in the pre-diabetic range and now we understand the complications that can arise, getting below that is a good target to have, particularly if prior to eating a breakfast that could result in a spike (even protein raises BG a bit).

Personally I am hoping to be under 6, which would equate to an HBa1C of <36, which leaves some margin for the upticks in BG that occur over the course of normal eating day. I’m looking to improve on my last Hba1c test of 40, and get some clear blue water between me and diabetic danger.

However, I don’t often get there as my natural level (even on LCHF) seems to average around 6.2. 3 days in a row of <6 is a rare treat. I try to keep things in perspective, but still prefer the start the day pointing in the right direction.

Of course the tests can be volatile – you can test one minute on your left hand and then on your right, and get completely different results. So every test is a game of Deal or No Deal – do you want what the meter says, or do you want to test again (on the risk of a higher result)?

Keep asking questions and good luck in getting down into single figures – I hope you are finding guidance on here to help you with that.

Thank you for your perspective. Yes there is a lot of guidance on here that’s for sure. I’m really grateful for this forum. Although not many people seem to have the same symptoms as myself. I found one person but that seems all.

I shall just keep powering on and picking up more knowledge along the way.