Confusion about reversing diabetes

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This go up by 2?
So even if still under 8 if it went up by more than 2 it’s not good?
It is preferable to keep your before and after eating readings under 2 if you can.

I try to keep my numbers under 7.5, doesn't always work!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It is preferable to keep your before and after eating readings under 2 if you can.

I try to keep my numbers under 7.5, doesn't always work!

Oh blimey. I thought as long as it was in the 8 it was good.

So if it starts in the 5 and goes up to 8s then that’s bad?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The recommendation from NICE is that T2 is under 8.5 90 minutes after eating. Non diabetics should be under 7.8. I try to stay within "normal" levels.

If your meal gives you a rise of over 2 then your meal was too carby or your portion was too large.

Look where you started though, you have done really well. You just need a couple of tweaks to keep your rise under 2.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Starting at 5 and being 8 at 2 hours means too many carbs. That is a rise of 3. It is the aim to keep levels as flat as you can. A nice small bump rather than a roller coaster of swings up and down. It is these swings that cause problems.

Ponchu

Nurse insisted that I eat 6 small meals a day, lots of whole grains, fresh fruit & vegetables and limit meats to lean only and consider egg whites.

I did not ask her how this had worked out for her.

My vision is fine.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nurse insisted that I eat 6 small meals a day, lots of whole grains, fresh fruit & vegetables and limit meats to lean only and consider egg whites.

I did not ask her how this had worked out for her.

My vision is fine.
Blimey, if I followed that advice I would be back where I started.

Reactions: Ponchu

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok thank you
what do you use to find out how many carbs there are in everything you eat - i have literally no idea

Personally I have found https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1908261153/ a very handy guide. It's basically just a list (with pictures) of sooooo many different food items and their carb contents in different proportions together with proteins, fat, saturated fat, fiber, and calories.

Just seen that someone already posted about this book already (I should really read a full thread before responding!)

Reactions: Charis1213

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I have found https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1908261153/ a very handy guide. It's basically just a list (with pictures) of sooooo many different food items and their carb contents in different proportions together with proteins, fat, saturated fat, fiber, and calories.

Just seen that someone already posted about this book already (I should really read a full thread before responding!)

Yes, that is the Carbs & Cals book I have used for 4 and a half years. I always recommend it.

Reactions: Charis1213

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All packaged foods have nutrition labels that tell us the number of Total Carbs per 100g among other nutrients. It is the total carbs you need,, not the "of which sugars"

Just to confuse our friends over the pond who may be in here, our “total” carbs referred to here on our labels are in fact what you call net carbs. Ours have the fibre listed separately not included in this number. The only listing that’s included and part of our carbs figure is sugar.

Reactions: Ponchu

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
ok thank you
what do you use to find out how many carbs there are in everything you eat - i have literally no idea
There is a Carb and Calorie Counter book, has Diabetes UK on the cover. Have found it a great help in making food choices. Widely available in bookshops or online.
Best wishes for better health in 2019

Reactions: taunty

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read a fascinating book about amalgams, called amalgam illness, by Andrew Cutler, and the link to diabetes. In that it so screws up your mineral transport (Zinc, Magnesium, etc.) and cellular system that it can be impossible for some people to control their T2 by diet....

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may well be able to blame your fillings, if they are mercury. (Amalgam) Research it...seems true...