What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 which was expected after late night eating. Our with a friend for dinner and a long overdue catch up.

Lidl roll toasted for breaky. I'm loving my special delivery all the way from Germany!!! Just having half today as starting from 6.2 and not 5.4!

Happy Friday everyone.

EDIT I've just discovered Lidl rolls are my Achilles heel! Whole roll demolished!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190131-040617_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190131-040617_Facebook.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask a question... why is it that some people find it disappointing to wake up to a 6 or 7? I understood that anything up to this level was ok for a diabetic? Or am I missing something here......

(Not that I can talk as I’m always in double figures lol!). Any information appreciated

The truely normal blood glucose level is by some experts believed to be under 5.5 mmol fasting , some even Think a Young healthy man would ideally have a morning/ fasting blood glucose of around 4.5 mol .
The famous dr. Bernstein who is an expert in diabetes is among those having that view of ideal normality
https://www.booktopia.com.au/dr-ber...on-richard-k-bernstein/prod9780316182690.html

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
@SB.25 why not call her today especially if you've been waiting for you c-peptide test for so long
I had called them yesterday and they advised me to up my insulin (which I did) they said give it until next week then call them back but they suspect i may need to change the insulin regime.

I have the c peptide back which came back as ‘low for blood glucose’ one GP said this indicated type 1 and the other GP said this indicated type 2. I’m waiting for consultant on the 15th...

Reactions: SaskiaKC

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 which was expected after late night eating. Our with a friend for dinner and a long overdue catch up.

Lidl roll toasted for breaky. I'm loving my special delivery all the way from Germany!!! Just having half today as starting from 6.2 and not 5.4!

Happy Friday everyone.

EDIT I've just discovered Lidl rolls are my Achilles heel! Whole roll demolished!!!
Quite an achievement @Debandez i sliced mine before freezing to eek them out more ! Those German Lidl rolls are big!

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Magic @SB.25 I wonder what sort of things you eat
Hi I tend to eat relatively low carb (I was eating lower but since the insulin the DSN told me to increase slightly).

Breakfast is usually about 10g carbs, lunch about 20g and dinner maybe 20g also. I know this isn’t that low for some people but I still think this is relatively low.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I just ask a question... why is it that some people find it disappointing to wake up to a 6 or 7? I understood that anything up to this level was ok for a diabetic? Or am I missing something here......

(Not that I can talk as I’m always in double figures lol!). Any information appreciated
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in July 2018, and I perhaps have become a little obsessed about it. I test more than I perhaps should, since my blood glucose levels have pretty much stabilized. I know one reason I get very upset with a higher reading is when there's no reason for it. I didn't eat carbs or sugar, I'm not ill or stressed out, etc. I find an unexplained spike can really throw me off my day, because then I obsess about it.

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi all, 6.7 today and 6.4 yesterday. I'm feeling like mush. I think I've twisted my back and have a cold or some such thing. Am hoping thats why the higher than normal high readings ( for me). .... Good news is I'm catching up on all the truly excellent Netficks things and even discovering new TV channels. I havent done that in a very long time.... Stay warm all

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
The truels normal blood glucose level is by some experts believed to be under 5.5 mmol fasting , some even Think a Young healthy man would ideally have a morning/ fasting blood glucose of around 4.5 mol .
The famous dr. Bernstein who is an expert in dilates are among those having that view of ideal normality
https://www.booktopia.com.au/dr-ber...on-richard-k-bernstein/prod9780316182690.html
I've spent ages reading scores of papers and watching a mass of genuine experts on blood sugars and it seems that elevated blood sugars appear to be the root cause of many, many diseases. As I'd like to live as long as possible in a healthy state as possible, I do, within the confines of reasonable behaviour do what I can to keep my sugars low

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from my eye test at the hospital. It was the same test the optician does and since my new optician also did a more sophisticated scan called an Optimap I was not impressed. Nor was I impressed by the comments about having Diabetis you will have bleeds come and go all the time...we see it here all the time....most people here today are diabetic. I pointed out that I had good control (probably the best controlled in the waiting room) but she yawned and said someone will review it but you probably wont hear any more from us. I could clearly see the large brown patch on the orange planet on her screen. I am starting to feel everything I am investigated for from now on is going to be attributed to diabetes whether that is true or not. I dont want it to be a problem with my eye but that appointment was not convincing. @Dark Horse any thoughts?
Sorry to hear after all the stress and faff of the eye test the outcome was so infuriating. Having defended UK health service so often, I do think the you are diabetic so that accounts for it card is often rolled out as a catchall diagnosis to save time/money.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. 4.2 is super.
I'm sitting at 7.8. Only on Metformin since Tuesday. But mega diet overhaul. So it's improved from 18. Still early days for me. Huge learning curve.
Keep warm. It's not too cold here in N Ireland. Although some rural places have snow. I live by the sea. So we don't often get snow.
Take care.
Good morning and welcome to the thread.
I also live by the sea in North Yorkshire and like you, we rarely get much snow.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find an unexplained spike can really throw me off my day, because then I obsess about it.
neithskye I woke to a 5.8...didn't bother with breakfast then took the dog for a good long walk...got home tested I was 6.0...it will come down later I should have eaten a little something before I walked...I did get stressed in the past with a higher than I would like reading...not now though...I know it will come down later in the day and I refuse to get stressed with an isolated BG reading.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
9.6 - ugh! Doing something wrong here. My DSN says its a matter of trial and error to get the balance right with the insulin. So time for a bit of trialling and error-ing. Had a walk down to the shops after breakfast to try and get the numbers down again.

I hope that everyone is having a good day and are not snowed in. Here in South London we have rain, but no snow lying

P