What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My answer to your question is that I honestly don't know why. I think we start reading each other's numbers and either start to feel a little competitive when we see numbers in the 4s and 5s, or want to be just like everyone else. It's schooldays all over again.

But everyone is an individual. Different blood groups, different BMIs, different genes, different lifestyles. Different types of diabetes, for that matter. Yes, I am happy with my 5.9 this morning because it's lower than some other numbers I was pulling earlier this week. But I feel well, the way I am eating seems to agree with me, I am still losing weight (slowly), and for all I know the switch from one SSRI to another two weeks ago has affected my BG numbers.

At the start of my insulin journey my numbers were significantly higher but time, learning, more learning. I realised the miracle overnight cure wasn’t coming. And once I stopped obsessing I noticed my readings fit in quite nicely. I’ve had higher readings today and yesterday.. it’s cold ( bet no one had noticed ) I’m drinking more tea to keep warm. My readings Are higher. I just note any changes on my spreadsheet

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,
4.4 this morning. It's still very cold here - the polar vortex lingers. Currently it's -16 celcius (3 fahreheit) - wind chill of -25c or -13f outside.I guess I shouldn't complain the Canadian prairies and US midwest have it worse, yesterday Chicago was colder than the North Pole!

@SB.25 I think the reason why some of us diet only Type 2s are disappointed in numbers in the 5s or 6s, depends on historically how low our numbers have been. I was diagnosed last June at fairly low hba1c of 7.0% (53) in a routine blood panel with no symptoms. My doctor and I believe I was lucky to have my Type 2 was caught early in its progression. I've therefore never taken any medication. Low carb eating (or not eating - fasting) is the way I control my numbers and if I eat things that aren't low carb or increase my carbs very much, my numbers rise considerably. I don't ever get hypos so therefore my personal target range is quite narrow 4.0-5.5 mmol/L to avoid future complications. I'm in this target range most of the time.

I realize that we are all different and I don't judge other people's numbers, we all are on different journeys. Many of you have had diabetes much longer than me, were diagnosed at higher numbers than me, may have other health conditions or take medication that affects your numbers as well as having to balance insulin or other medications.. There is a "x factor", sometimes our numbers run high and one doesn't know why. Most importantly, many people here have a different type of diabetes than me and experience hypos. Although I don't personally live it, I think it's much harder to live with and manage Type 1 diabetes or Type 3.

Terribly cold I still remember a morning of minus 28 degrees celsius and had forgotten my mittens my hands
were blue for an hour after coming inside

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
11.9 this morning even though I increased insulin last night. I will see how it goes with the higher level and then I have to call the nurse next week to discuss the basal / bolus.

Have a nice day everyone!
it takes a couple of days to kick in SB25 x

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

5.3 for me.

Still very cold here, it's currently -19 celcius (-2 fahrenheit) with a wind chill of -26 celcius (-15 f). We've been having our taps drip for 3 days and nights to prevent frozen pipes.) Our above ground light rail transit line here has been out of commission for 3 days since the extreme cold started and our streetcars have been breaking down for the same reason (underground/subway is still running). :(

This cold is supposed to shift westward and we supposed to get a thaw by Monday.

Last edited:

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you SB...he is so lovable & such a soppy boy...he has some unsavoury habits and the poor cat objects to how many times he eats his food...but he's my boy
I would love a dog. My dog is at my parents house . I’m a bit fan of bigger dogs and bull breeds / my parent dog is a cute blue Staffie called Bella - she was rescued from a puppy farm as a mummy dog.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear after all the stress and faff of the eye test the outcome was so infuriating. Having defended UK health service so often, I do think the you are diabetic so that accounts for it card is often rolled out as a catchall diagnosis to save time/money.
Thanks Ian I was as mad as a hatter yesterday. You have to ask are they really saving money since all they did was repeat the retinopathy test of last June but I still have eyes that are blurry and a prescription that changed in a few weeks. I think the NHS are wonderful, just not on this occasion. Oh well back to the optician.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all,

5.3 for me.

Still very cold here, it's currently -19 celcius (-2 fahrenheit) with a wind chill of -26 celcius (-15 f). We've been having our taps drip for 3 days and nights to prevent frozen pipes.) Our above ground light rail transit line here has been out of commission for 3 days since the extreme cold started and our streetcars have been breaking down for the same reason (underground/subway is still running). :(

This cold is supposed to shift westward and we supposed to get a thaw by Monday.

Hugs for warmth and for the stress factors. Hope the thaw will arrive when expected if not sooner!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ian I was as mad as a hatter yesterday. You have to ask are they really saving money since all they did was repeat the retinopathy test of last June but I still have eyes that are blurry and a prescription that changed in a few weeks. I think the NHS are wonderful, just not on this occasion. Oh well back to the optician.

Hugs to you. I hate stress, especially when it is brought on unnecessarily by things that should be working FOR us, not against us.

Reactions: OrsonKartt