What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So mystery solved @ianpspurs , @Rachox. I am looking on the Ocado site for the frozen celeriac, not the Waitrose one. Seems that even tough there is a crossover with many of the Waitrose Cooks Ingredients products this isn't one of them:bigtears: and they don't stock it.

For the record (mine) Waitrose don't deliver in my area and the nearest store is 17.6 miles away! That's a lot of inconvenience for convenient frozen celeriac!!

Reactions: zauberflote

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So mystery solved @ianpspurs , @Rachox. I am looking on the Ocado site for the frozen celeriac, not the Waitrose one. Seems that even tough there is a crossover with many of the Waitrose Cooks Ingredients products this isn't one of them:bigtears: and they don't stock it.
Oh yes, maybe I didn’t make it clear I got it on delivery from Waitrose.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes, maybe I didn’t make it clear I got it on delivery from Waitrose.
No, you did, Ocado deliver a lot of Waitrose products, especially the Cooks' Ingredients range. Just not this one. Back to the celeriac drawing board!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I got all enthusiastic about the frozen celeriac only to find Waitrose don't deliver here and the nearest store is 25 miles away - I don't think I can persuade Mr C to take me on a 50 mile round trip for frozen celeriac...

A day after coming off the OMAD mainly meat experiment I've found I'm producing keytones again. All very strange. And, best of all, the headache has gone. Thank goodness.

Today...

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs made with cream and butter

Lunch: Camembert salad with a couple of small beetroot, 3 cherry tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, mayo, spring onions

Dinner: Mr C is making his lamb, peppers and roasted garlic curry with spiced cauliflower rice (although he doesn't know he's making it yet)

Drinks: Two big mugs of tea with skimmed milk, lots and lots of still spring water and some red wine after dinner

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if this will work. All my Dr Almond stuff arrived this morning and I've already made the Seeded loaf. Great texture and it's like eating real bread again. It isn't going to last 5 days - it will be gone by then. So easy to make. I used warm water and The dough hook to mix. Once I'd formed into a round cob shaped loaf I added more mixed seeds to the top. Cooked at fan 185C for 70 mins. Nice crisp crust.

A file has been shared using Link Sharing.
https://s.amsu.ng/nL85B1dDPtSN
(Expires: 2 Feb 2019)

The photo is a bit to big to post so I'm trying a link share

This is the bread I made. I'm going to buy more but one thing I would say is that is would benefit from a little salt. I also quite fancy adding yeast with inulin and proving it to see what that does although the texture is fine.

https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...low-carb-gluten-free-paleo-protein-bread-mix/

If the photo link doesn't work it does look like the photo on the web site but mine is a little darker.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if this will work. All my Dr Almond stuff arrived this morning and I've already made the Seeded loaf. Great texture and it's like eating real bread again. It isn't going to last 5 days - it will be gone by then. So easy to make. I used warm water and The dough hook to mix. Once I'd formed into a round cob shaped loaf I added more mixed seeds to the top. Cooked at fan 185C for 70 mins. Nice crisp crust.

A file has been shared using Link Sharing.
https://s.amsu.ng/nL85B1dDPtSN
(Expires: 2 Feb 2019)

The photo is a bit to big to post so I'm trying a link share

This is the bread I made. I'm going to buy more but one thing I would say is that is would benefit from a little salt. I also quite fancy adding yeast with inulin and proving it to see what that does although the texture is fine.

https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...low-carb-gluten-free-paleo-protein-bread-mix/

If the photo link doesn't work it does look like the photo on the web site but mine is a little darker.
Bread looks really good. Dr Almond products have all worked for us but hardly cheap so not likely to be consumed daily. What I was unable to track down was apple fibre which seems to be a key part of his/their/its ingredients.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bread looks really good. Dr Almond products have all worked for us but hardly cheap so not likely to be consumed daily. What I was unable to track down was apple fibre which seems to be a key part of his/their/its ingredients.
I've bought their bamboo fibre which is a new appearance. I'd only bought one pack of this one but I'm going to order more. 0.2g carbs for something that looks and tastes like bread. As you said certainly not cheap but to allow me to have bread on the occasions I want it I can live With it. I've also got the ciabatta mix and another one and the pizza dough to try. Impressed with the speed of delivery.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've bought their bamboo fibre which is a new appearance. I'd only bought one pack of this one but I'm going to order more. 0.2g carbs for something that looks and tastes like bread. As you said certainly not cheap but to allow me to have bread on the occasions I want it I can live With it. I've also got the ciabatta mix and another one and the pizza dough to try. Impressed with the speed of delivery.
I've had 2 slices of this bread - butter on 1 and pate on the other and it's done absolutely nothing to my BG's. That's good enough for me.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had 2 slices of this bread - butter on 1 and pate on the other and it's done absolutely nothing to my BG's. That's good enough for me.
Wow sounds exciting. I need to finish off all my stores of frozen low carb bread first and then consider making an order. Did you add extra bamboo fibre to th3 mix or are you planning making your own mix using the bamboo fibre and other ingredients? If you have a stab at the non pre mix version let us know how it works and the quantities of each you use. Using inulin with th3 yeast as the sugar also sounds a very interesting experiment that we’d love to hear about. Meanwhile could we have a slice of that bread please? Tasty Bread for us low carbers sometimes feels like trying to find the holy grail!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 thank you Actually the buttered yogurt was pretty good! I had this huge container of 0% fat Siggi’s skyr in the freezer from before I sourced full fat ditto. So I melted a little butter and stirred a spoon of yogurt in, and it wasn’t half bad! I hate to throw out a pricey food...
@maglil55 that’s a beautiful loaf!
@ianpspurs I totally agree - the minute I started in on my brother’s WOE (he manages with diet and exercise), before I found here, I started hemorrhaging money in the produce department! If I were to start eating meat, my food bill would quintuple — and Mr ZF was the only regular bread consumer anyway. I looked for lower sodium grain things. Beans and grains are very cheap!
From the kitchen witch of The Two Knife Kitchen:
IMG_7479.jpg

And something I saw grocery shopping Wed: for I think it’s @ianpspurs ? For piglets in hand towels:
IMG_7473.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure where the BBC worked out the coldest night for 7 years from but hope everyone stayed warm and had a good/pleasant/wonderful/tolerable day. Weekend will be good for me - 6 Nations, Spurs on TV, Superbowl (surely Brady can't do it again?)
Breakfast and Mid morning; Tea - lots; Lunch: Cocoa with soya and cream - tasted nice but want to eliminate cream as much as possible: Evening meal (17.15): Haggis; swede and celeriac mash; gravy
Another OMAD (so much easier when waking between 6-7.30 not 3.30 to 4.30*) but the purists would be apoplectic with Haggis and gravy. Haggis was half from last year taking space in the freezer and I can't see a way I could eat that without gravy. Found it enjoyable - which before this WOE I would have assumed was the point. Not especially full but I can live with that. No coffee, alcohol or testing January is done* (almost certainly linked) - now what?

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is what I don't understand about the argument that this is a cheaper way of eating - unless one predominately fasts

My theory is the lower the carbs the cheaper the food bill - simple, fresh ingredients (unless one opts for premium products). It’s the substitutes/processed items - such as baking ingredients - that can add up.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Today’s menu reflects the end of carnivore month, a day of unusual hunger and a rare 3 meals.

Late breakfast (10am) of M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos.

Lunch - on the run to a meeting with my boss. One garlic and herb chicken thigh from Sainsbury’s hot counter, one peperami stick and a 65g bag of salted almonds (went down very nicely).

Dinner - Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich followed by a small piece of flourless chocolate cake with extra thick Jersey cream. Had taken 2 pieces of cake (they are tiny) out of the freezer but only ate 1 as it was sooo rich and intense and very delicious.

Editing to add the vat of cream consumed in tea - including a couple at a meeting in Costa with their little pots of cream.

Will stick to being mostly carnivore, but a few non animal products are in stock awaiting sampling, including some German Lidl rolls :D

@zauberflote loving the piggy pop moulds. Would love to find some here - my Dad collects piggy things and it’d be fun to cook him something using the mould.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My theory is the lower the carbs the cheaper the food bill - simple, fresh ingredients (unless one opts for premium products). It’s the substitutes/processed items - such as baking ingredients - that can add up.
Cheaper than pasta bake, beans on toast, egg and chips or jacket potato with butter? Let's just agree to disagree
Edit: Don't see how you ever beat porridge for cheap as chips breakfast.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stuck at base camp today so made shepherd pies for youngest returning to Uni prob Sun. also made a big chicken curry of which several portions will find their way in the lads bag too. Lots of tea today but not that hungry.
@ianpspurs I heard on radio today its now Fizz Free February....not sure if they mean Prosecco or soft drinks....as long as the “you know who” Slimline tonic is not included it wont bother me at all. Lol.
@maglil55 that bread looks amazing and great post prandial too. I wonder if it behaves in the toaster, no reason why not I guess. Toast is the only form of bread I care about really and have a slice of HiLo from freezer to toaster most mornings and it makes me very happywith a mug of tea. I have adapted to cauli/brocolli rice very easily and I loved rice pre dx.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 thank you Actually the buttered yogurt was pretty good! I had this huge container of 0% fat Siggi’s skyr in the freezer from before I sourced full fat ditto. So I melted a little butter and stirred a spoon of yogurt in, and it wasn’t half bad! I hate to throw out a pricey food...
@maglil55 that’s a beautiful loaf!
@ianpspurs I totally agree - the minute I started in on my brother’s WOE (he manages with diet and exercise), before I found here, I started hemorrhaging money in the produce department! If I were to start eating meat, my food bill would quintuple — and Mr ZF was the only regular bread consumer anyway. I looked for lower sodium grain things. Beans and grains are very cheap!
From the kitchen witch of The Two Knife Kitchen: View attachment 31007
And something I saw grocery shopping Wed: for I think it’s @ianpspurs ? For piglets in hand towels: View attachment 31008
Loving the baking sheet x

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, hope everyone is warm and safe, we had a snow day as we couldn’t get vehicles out to the main road.
I spent the day writing and re writing supporting evidence for the essential criteria section of a job application form!

Plenty of coffee which I now drink with a mix of cream diluted with unroasted almond milk
B cheese omelette
No lunch as such just nibbled on a cold sausage and chunk of Cornish blue
D vintage cheddar burger with cauliflower mash drizzled with a sauce made of cream and Cornish blue

Last edited: