Diabetic eye test at Boots

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went along to my local Boots last week where I've had my eye test done for years.

When trying to book the appointment was told that they weren't allowed to do them anymore.

Is my local Boots been up to no good or is Boots withdrawing from the market?

D

Deleted member 308541

Is my local Boots been up to no good or is Boots withdrawing from the market?
It's strange to me that a chemist shop should be doing diabetic eye tests in the first place. I hope the staff doing them were trained optometrists.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Boots have an ophthalmic department, just had my yearly letter reminding me to book in for an eye test. For yearly retinal screening I go to the hospital. But basic eye tests Boots.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't go to the opticians for a "diabetic" eye test. I go for an eye test and just happen to have diabetes... I usually go to Specsavers and they are VERY thorough.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my annual diabetic eye examination at my local hospital diabetic clinic but always had a yearly eye test at my opticians. However, last year they told me that due to NHS cutbacks, they would be calling me in for my free eye test in two years time rather than the usual one year,

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't go to the opticians for a "diabetic" eye test. I go for an eye test and just happen to have diabetes... I usually go to Specsavers and they are VERY thorough.

Mahola, I fully understand what you are saying but the tests they do if you have diabetes is far more thorough than an eye test for someone without diabetes. So in this case, in my view I am happy to call it a diabetic eye test as it's specific to diabetes. I had to change from Vision express because they said they didn't do 'diabetic specific tests' so I had to find someone who did. :)

Dark Horse

Whereabouts in the country are you? Sometimes a local Diabetic Eye Screening Programme will commission local optometrists such as Boots to take their eye screening photos for them. However, the Screening Programme could change their policy and start employing their own photographers to take the photos instead of optometrists. In that case, the optometrists would not be able to participate in that service any longer.

Obviously, Boots should still be able to offer a normal sight-test every 2 years. It is important that people with diabetes attend BOTH the diabetic eye screening test and their normal sight test. The two tests are complementary and one cannot substitute for the other.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I used to go to my local Specsavers for my diabetic eye tests and scans.

Now we all have to troop into the middle of the county to get them done. It’s a time saving exercise, unfortunately it’s not my time that’s being saved.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out we are eligible for a free eye test once a year. Quite separate to the retinal screening.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've just switched my annual eye test (optometrist) to be six months before/after my annual diabetic eye screening so that I get my eyes checked every six months.

Dark Horse

Doesn't everyone? 1 year ago. It's a yearly thing.
Presumably your recent invitation told you where to go for the screening? If they said you could get it done at Boots, you need to speak with the eye screening programme, tell them that Boots no longer offers the service and ask where you can go for your screening. Or are you talking about a normal sight test? If so, the title of the thread, 'Diabetic eye test', may have led to some confusion.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out we are eligible for a free eye test once a year. Quite separate to the retinal screening.
I also have the annual retinal screening taken at the hospital, but upon having my free eye test at my opticians last year, was told that due to NHS cutbacks eye sight tests were now done biannually.