What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
congrats on surviving the carnivore month. I was thinking about you (still on a song theme) as hubby had the New Seekers going on Roxi and I found myself singing "Now the carnivore is over".
emoji849.png

:D

Quite glad to have the boys here Sunday through to Monday to get through the anniversary of brother's death.

Hugs.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could use a spot of advice if anyone sees in time.

Made @shelley262 ’s lemon drizzle cake (sans drizzle), but in trying to make sure it wasn’t too sweet, it’s not sweet enough. Thinking it might be rescued with some frosting (sorry @ianpspurs ) or some kind of syrup, but only have granulated sweetener and no grinder. Any ideas? Do have a mini chopper and hand blender. Recipe will need to be able to cope with lemon too as the cake doesn’t taste very lemony. Lovely texture though.

Wondering whether a caramel with lemon zest would do the job?

CCBS for my footie team on the other hand have turned out fine.

Attachments

• 846C1E4F-43A8-4514-A306-D3F00044E7A4.jpeg
    846C1E4F-43A8-4514-A306-D3F00044E7A4.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 1F754ED0-D6B8-49A3-B1CA-42387EE467E2.jpeg
    1F754ED0-D6B8-49A3-B1CA-42387EE467E2.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 80E05568-27B4-440A-A3CA-54F40ED4D78E.jpeg
    80E05568-27B4-440A-A3CA-54F40ED4D78E.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 0145508D-9B24-4C82-8069-AD11F9BDD3B9.jpeg
    0145508D-9B24-4C82-8069-AD11F9BDD3B9.jpeg
    813.7 KB · Views: 171

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could use a spot of advice if anyone sees in time.

Made @shelley262 ’s lemon drizzle cake (sans drizzle), but in trying to make sure it wasn’t too sweet, it’s not sweet enough. Thinking it might be rescued with some frosting (sorry @ianpspurs ) or some kind of syrup, but only have granulated sweetener and no grinder. Any ideas? Do have a mini chopper and hand blender. Recipe will need to be able to cope with lemon too as the cake doesn’t taste very lemony. Lovely texture though.

Wondering whether a caramel with lemon zest would do the job?

CCBS for my footie team on the other hand have turned out fine.
The cream cheese Icing I use from this recipe could work as it uses granulated sweetener. You'll need cream cheese but if you don't have yoghurt some double cream works.

Reactions: jpscloud

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 it worked. Was initially a bit runny, but whipped it up. Probably could have taken a bit more erythritol (I used extra to compensate for lack of sweetness in the cake).

Pics of the 1 still complete loaf and the smaller partially eaten one - had to sample an extra piece!

Attachments

• 50DACAEE-F435-4D83-BFD6-AF82A24DEAA6.jpeg
    50DACAEE-F435-4D83-BFD6-AF82A24DEAA6.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 557C52C9-A289-433A-BEAB-7DDC5AE79DF5.jpeg
    557C52C9-A289-433A-BEAB-7DDC5AE79DF5.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 137

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 it worked. Was initially a bit runny, but whipped it up. Probably could have taken a bit more erythritol (I used extra to compensate for lack of sweetness in the cake).

Pics of the 1 still complete loaf and the smaller partially eaten one - had to sample an extra piece!
Yes , I have it a little runny as I use it more as a drizzle but it's a good flexible icing. I have been known to melt a little chocolate and drizzle a design over the "icing".

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes , I have it a little runny as I use it more as a drizzle but it's a good flexible icing. I have been known to melt a little chocolate and drizzle a design over the "icing".

Ooh that sounds good. Have stored the recipe away now. The runny drizzle would work well if serving straight away, but want to transport this to work. Thanks very much.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a bit of a catch up again. @PenguinMum the bread toasts fine although I did it in my grill rather than the toaster. It made the seeds even more visible. I had 2 slices this morning, toasted , hot and with butter melting on them! I'm in heaven (shades of Fred Astaire there)
@Goonergal - congrats on surviving the carnivore month. I was thinking about you (still on a song theme) as hubby had the New Seekers going on Roxi and I found myself singing "Now the carnivore is over".
@jayney27 welcome back and @DJC3 so glad all your family made it through safely. We have a very slight covering this morning but it will be gone soon ( one of the advantages of living near the sea). Anyway, I think the last time I posted food wise was Tuesday.
Wednesday
Bed 7 FBG 6.7 - no idea why and I got I rise to 9.6! Came down again though. Must have your problem now @Chook.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. That was it. I ended up with an unintentional OMAD as the pool reopened so I got No 2 to school then went back for No 1 & Mum to get them to swimming.
L. Nothing
D. My version of the DD fish and chips - cod loin cut into chunks and coated with my varying "crumb" coat. Today it was Almond flour, parmesan, black pepper, flax, sesame seeds, parsley. As crisp as ever. Served with veggie chips and homemade curry tartare sauce. A few berries and cream after.
Thursday
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.2 but still got a rise to 8.6 before it turned so better than yesterday. Back to the early school start. It's going really well. It's also Aqua Zumba day.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. A couple of Tesco's chorizo and gouda rollitos and the herby cream cheese ball (Just 1) before heading off to Aqua. Arrived at Aqua to discover I'd forgotten my swimsuit! Not wanting to frighten everyone by wearing only aqua shoes I nipped back to reception to see if they had swimsuits for sale. They did but biggest was 2 sizes smaller than I wear. I know current suit is a bit loose so I gave it a go and it fits! Comfortably too.
L. Cheered by my drop in swimsuit size , skipped lunch and went back to cupboard clearing, tip visit etc.
D. Hubby made broth for him and the boys - I battered out a chicken breast and dressed it with yesterday's "crumb" , fried then topped with thinly sliced avocado, slice of gouda and melted under the grill. Served with veggie chips and a scoot of Nando's perinnaise. Few mixed berries and halo top.
Hi @maglil55 I thought I hadn’t seen you for a couple of days.
Your Swimsuit news is very cheering.

I’m never going to be able to hear that New Seekers song again now without singing the carnivore version!

I like what you did with the chicken breast, I’m definitely giving that a go.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I’m never going to be able to hear that New Seekers song again now without singing the carnivore version!

My other thought with the chicken breast was it would benefit from a little bit of pineapple under the cheese. Not the best fruit I know but cut very thin and not a lot it should be doable.
The swimsuit was indeed cheering. I thought I could get into it but I was expecting my circulation to be cut off as it was one of the Zoggs suits for these club swimmers. It was the fact is was comfortable that amazed me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 I’ve just finished reading through the posts and found the bit about your brother’s anniversary, my heart goes out to you.
I had the same thing last year with the first anniversary of my brother’s death. Chatting to his wife, best man and my girls that day about our memories we all decided to comemmorate him using food he was fond of. One of my earliest memories is of Ian eating baked beans as a toddler by curling a finger around each individual bean. I had to sit at the table and wait until he’d finished, which took forever and remember being v cross with him. I bought a few cans of his favourite beans on the anniversary, then donated them to a food bank.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
0C84087E-15A8-4B14-BB30-F700C09E6771.jpeg
@BibaBee what an amazing cake; you are some kind of baker!!! Plz send pics of baby with face planted in cake when nap hits [/QUOTE]

Thank you. I sadly can't share photos of the birthday girl on here, as she is adopted and we're not meant to share photos on social media. However, the cake went down very well with the birthday girl, kids and adults alike. I can however share a photo of my LC choc cupcakes though - they went down a treat and were far nicer IMHO.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm still singing it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still singing it.

Had to google it!

Just as surely as Sunday is one Jaffa Cake day in the @Rachox household, Saturday is beef short rib day in the Goonergal household. My @DCUKMod NOMAD day consisted of two small pieces of the lemon cake with some cream and dinner of beef short rib. Now stuffed and amazingly have managed to resist eating any of the CCBs.

Aside from the lack of sweetness - and thanks again to @maglil55 for coming to the rescue with the frosting - the cake had to be attempted twice. First time round I mistook a small Tupperware tub of salt for erythritol and tipped it into the mix! Luckily I spotted it looked a bit odd and tasted it before it got anywhere near the oven :D

@BibaBee your cup cakes look wonderful.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi busy day,making curry and laundry for son going back to Uni Tomo. Made Spicy chicken curry with spinach and Buttenut Red Pepper and Chickpea curry which apart from tonights portions will be heading to Bath tomo! I was so busy, nice busy thehoise smrlt wonderful that after having my usual slice of HiLo toast for breakfast just had two high mest sausages cut up as I powered through everything.
@maglil55 you have achieved so much at such a poignant timefor you. Hugs to you and @DJC3 for the loss of your respective brothers. They would be so proud of you.
@BibaBee your birthday cake and cupcakes are awesome.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs if you promise not to brandish your haggis at me I will tell you oh sure, Tom Brady can do it again. Question is, will it be Sunday? And will he retire on laurels if he does? Why are you eliminating cream?
My 2 cents on the lc-is-cheaper- In my world, it’s the opposite pricing! Only the very cheapest cuts of our very limited selection of meats are affordable for many, and not often. Paycheck-to-paycheck families can better afford a sale on store brand canned ravioli than they can fresh lc pasta, any real cheese, and sauce ingredients. Canned veg very much cheaper than fresh. Flour, cornmeal, sugar for baking are all cheaper than meat (might be wrong on that). Cheap white bread to put your peanut butter on is much cheaper than anything with lc ingredients. And then you’re out of money anyway so a $.59 two-liter bottle of coke is much much cheaper than the equivalent dairy milk, and chips (crisps) are cheapest for snacks. And 90% chocolate?? Dream on. For myself, if I were a meat eater my grocery bill would skyrocket. As it is, the greens and celery and tomatoes and mushrooms and celeriac ($$$$$) are killing me! ....
Maybe Amazon has those piggy pop things. I think they’re “as seen on tv” brand, maybe. And congrats on your carnivory run!!!!
— random interesting taste discovery! This summer on vacation I was addicted to a particular brand and flavor of seltzer water. Came home, bought store brand same flavor. It tasted like swamp water. Gave the rest away. Just found a stray can, popped it, and lo and behold it tastes completely good. Is this a “sugar’s out of my system” change? Weird.
. @PenguinMum I hope plain old seltzer isn’t included! I’ll happily make any month fizz-free if I can have seltzer!
@jayney27 is there something special about unroasted vs roasted almonds as milk?
@Emma_369 woweeee! You are indeed within reach of your goal, congratulations!!
@BibaBee what an amazing cake; you are some kind of baker!!! Plz send pics of baby with face planted in cake when nap hits
Hi, no I don’t think so, I always chose the roasted version as I thought it sounded nicer, however about a month ago I asked my partner to pick some up for me and he came home with the unroasted one, I actually prefer it the taste is stronger. X

Last edited:
Reactions: zauberflote

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, we are slowly thawing here, it’s been lovely and bright today, blue skies and sunshine but still chilly.
Started the day with very good intentions and had a cheese omelette and bacon, couple of coffees then nothing until now.........

Popped out to get some shopping, came back walked the dog and he managed to fall in the snow, wouldn’t put his paw to the floor and yelped and even showed his teeth when we touched him, trip to the emergency vet, 40 miles always, downside of living in the sticks! Thankfully nothing broken but £97.00 caused a bit of an ouch moment.

Due to impromptu vet visit we stopped for a takeaway, I didn’t have rice or naan bread but did order a curry, cauliflower side dish and gave in to an onion bhaji ooops

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
**** jolly fine day what with Spurs winning and England winning the rugby. Tarnished slightly by Joe Root's shambolic shower but 2 out of 3 will do. Hope you all found at least as much to please you today.
Only tea until half time in the football then a kind of 4 hour LC mini refeed. Cocoa, 2 slices corned beef, remains of 2kg Jacob's ladder, 3 egg mushroom and stilton fluffy omelette with 0 carb curry sauce. Then a Morliny smoked turkey sausage to take me to evening meal at half time in England V Ireland. Cottage pie with a swede, celeriac and cheese topping. Can't promise that will be the last food of the day.

Last edited: