What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 an unnoticed 2 size “most revealing clothing item ever” drop is very cheering indeed!! (And to get a new swimsuit out of it too!!) bravo! What music did you cue up for the cupboards? 1812 Overture, cannons and all? “I’m Too Skinny For My Jeans” by the CarbFast Kitchen Gurlz? And that door lock adventure sounds complicated! I’m glad the boys will be there for the sad anniversary.
@Goonergal you have come up with something for the lemon drizzle by now, but I’d do something that goes with a lemon loaf bread I give for Christmas: this is supposed to go on the minute the bread comes out of the oven, but that’s fixable. It uses 3 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Just mix and pour on a hot cake, or probably heat to mix the ingredients for your cool cake? And adjust sweetener however you like.
@BibaBee that is a wonderful rule you have re babies and pics on social media, and I just wish more parents with bio kids would follow it! /soapbox. Glad the cake had a good reception, and it’s odd about those cupcakes- I’m sucking on a piece of 90% right as I read it, and no offense, but they don’t appeal to my taste buds at all. Weird eh?
@jayney27 poor pup and poor you! Glad nothing broken! The curry sounds scrumptious!
@ianpspurs what a great day!!!
Off for a walk, contemplating all the things there aren’t time to do but somehow have to be done. One must, for example, have clean underwear....

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Could use a spot of advice if anyone sees in time.

Made @shelley262 ’s lemon drizzle cake (sans drizzle), but in trying to make sure it wasn’t too sweet, it’s not sweet enough. Thinking it might be rescued with some frosting (sorry @ianpspurs ) or some kind of syrup, but only have granulated sweetener and no grinder. Any ideas? Do have a mini chopper and hand blender. Recipe will need to be able to cope with lemon too as the cake doesn’t taste very lemony. Lovely texture though.

Wondering whether a caramel with lemon zest would do the job?

CCBS for my footie team on the other hand have turned out fine.
Should have stuck to recipe! It needs full erythritol amounts listed and also the drizzle to be sweet and lemony enough they are all importAnt parts of recipe! Pleasedyou managedto rescue it!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all wonderful day today 2nd family Christmas and eldest sons 43rd birthday. A bit concerning early on as eldest had a bad spell but managed to persuade him to come round and he ended up enjoying himself. One of the wonderful days in the end that is in my view life at its best.
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch ham, salad cheeses, low carb crispbreads and a few nuts
Dinner Christmas meal turkey, cauliflower cheese, roasted veg, braised celery, pork stuffing and gravy glass of prosseco followed by lc chocolate cake with cream. After all the cooking and washing up I’m now sat with glass of red wine and my feet up.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote No offence on the cupcakes at all. I'm often happier with a square of dark choc these days too. But glad I made them, as Mr B was able to indulge in cake and a glass of fizz to toast the little one. I agree about social media and kids.....but it can be quite difficult for my brother and his wife to explain this to some friends and family, who don't always get it.

@maglil55 Yay for a fantastic result with the drop in swimming costume size! Well done! Hugs for the sad anniversary, but hopefully having the boys with you will make it easier to bear somehow.

@Goonergal Your bakes this weekend look amazing!

@jayney27 Oh no, your poor dog and ouch indeed for the vet bill. They are a worry sometimes our furry friends. Oh, and snap with you and @PenguinMum it looks like a few us are on curry vibe tonight.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good evening everyone. :)

Lemon drizzle cake... Mmmmmm send some up here @Goonergal

I daren't make low carb cake because i just haven't got an off button as long as there are any low carb goodies in the house. I am fine with Mr C's carb filled cakes though.

Today was my Sunday as Mr C 's two days off this week were yesterday and today, so

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Lunch: small chunk of Wensleydale with cranberries

Dinner: Roast beef, one small Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower, sprouts, two pieces of carrot, two pieces of roast parsnip and gravy

Pudding: vanilla and cream chia pudding with raspberries

I was really surprised that my BG before dinner was 5.7 and two hours later it was.... 5.7!!

Drinks: black decaff coffee, plenty of water, big mug of decaff tea with skimmed milk and two glasses of red wine

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Un-iced choc cupcake with cream. Coffee with more cream. The cake was lovely for breakfast.....not too sweet, just a deep cocoa flavour.
Lunch: Couple of spicy chicken thighs (Tesco hot food counter), chicory, lambs lettuce, avocado, tomatoes.
Dinner: HM made chicken and spinach curry (a freestyle recipe, adding a bit of this and that) and cauli rice.

At the birthday party, we both had some oopage (garlic breaded mushrooms, I'm looking at you!), although I did manage to stay away from the Pringles. Thankfully neither of us went mad, so having lunch before hand was a good idea. I tried a small slice of the birthday girl's cake, which was nice but as I thought, the frosting was very sweet for my taste. Mr B enjoyed his LC cupcake and others were happy to have a gluten free, LC, less sweet option. Prosecco may have been consumed.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, no I don’t think so, I always chose the roasted version as I thought it sounded nicer, however about a month ago I asked my partner to pick some up for me and he came home with the unroasted one, I actually prefer it the taste is stronger. X
I'm going to have to give the unroasted a try now, we use the roasted all the time for cappuccinos.

Reactions: zauberflote

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 sounds like the perfect day. I agree theres nothing like having those you caremos about round and feeding them well. You must be now exhausted but hopefully easier day tomo?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up, egg, bacon and mushrooms followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon in a cafe: coffee with a dash of milk and a Raspberry phd bar.
Dinner: cold Chinese style pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 sounds like the perfect day. I agree theres nothing like having those you caremos about round and feeding them well. You must be now exhausted but hopefully easier day tomo?
oHs brother and partner off back to south wales after cooked breakfast so tomorrow will be a quieter catch up day thank you @PenguinMum . I’m just very relieved it all happened and managed to get everyone together despite weather, distances and eldest sons autistic related health issues. I’ve been reflecting back whilst sat with my red wine to a very snowy day 43 years ago in Dundee in Scotland when he was on his way into the world! Funnily enough going back to Dundee in a couple of months with my best friend from uni days and godmother to both my boys to visit the new V and A that’s just opened in Dundee.
@jayney27 sorry to hear about your dog vets are not cheap.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote No offence on the cupcakes at all. I'm often happier with a square of dark choc these days too. But glad I made them, as Mr B was able to indulge in cake and a glass of fizz to toast the little one. I agree about social media and kids.....but it can be quite difficult for my brother and his wife to explain this to some friends and family, who don't always get it.

@maglil55 Yay for a fantastic result with the drop in swimming costume size! Well done! Hugs for the sad anniversary, but hopefully having the boys with you will make it easier to bear somehow.

@Goonergal Your bakes this weekend look amazing!

@jayney27 Oh no, your poor dog and ouch indeed for the vet bill. They are a worry sometimes our furry friends. Oh, and snap with you and @PenguinMum it looks like a few us are on curry vibe tonight.
Thank you, all well with our little fur baby now but they are a worry, it was a typical scenario though, wouldn’t put his paw down at home, arrived at the vets and he walked around perfectly fine.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to have to give the unroasted a try now, we use the roasted all the time for cappuccinos.
Yes I use it to make my cappuccino too, just before I was diagnosed my partner bought me a proper coffee maker, in the beginning I used to continue making them with semi skimmed milk then when I got more savvy regarding carbs I switched to almond milk, it works fine and means I can still enjoy my frothy coffee x

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
oHs brother and partner off back to south wales after cooked breakfast so tomorrow will be a quieter catch up day thank you @PenguinMum . I’m just very relieved it all happened and managed to get everyone together despite weather, distances and eldest sons autistic related health issues. I’ve been reflecting back whilst sat with my red wine to a very snowy day 43 years ago in Dundee in Scotland when he was on his way into the world! Funnily enough going back to Dundee in a couple of months with my best friend from uni days and godmother to both my boys to visit the new V and A that’s just opened in Dundee.
@jayney27 sorry to hear about your dog vets are not cheap.
Fur baby is ok he has some pain killers but no damage, 60 mile round trip and £97 pound x

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I use it to make my cappuccino too, just before I was diagnosed my partner bought me a proper coffee maker, in the beginning I used to continue making them with semi skimmed milk then when I got more savvy regarding carbs I switched to almond milk, it works fine and means I can still enjoy my frothy coffee x
Yes, we've got a proper coffee machine too. Wouldn't be without it. We tend to use almond milk with a splash of cream, I think the additional fat helps with the foam.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, we've got a proper coffee machine too. Wouldn't be without it. We tend to use almond milk with a splash of cream, I think the additional fat helps with the foam.
Yes I add a little bit of cream I like the creaminess :)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I know what you mean I always feel emotional on birthdays of my sons.
@jayney27 glad your doggie is ok but understand trips to thevet can be very worrying and expensive...the little darlings.
Yes they are expensive but better to be safe, they can’t tell us if they are in pain, by the time we got to the vets he was much brighter and walked fine, but at least we have had him checked over. £97 and 60 mile round trip :banghead:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
Breakfast - 2 coffees and my new recipe of the week https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/quick-and-easy-capicola-egg-cups
Granted it’s bacon and eggs but I promised I’d try a new recipe each week and never technically cooked them like this before so it’ll do. Will be better planned for more exciting trial recipe next week :angelic:
No lunch as was at hairdressers all afternoon
This evening was spent at a friends house. I swerved the gin after last weeks crazy room spinning but indulged in a tray of kebab meat with mayo when the chip shop run was made

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, very late post from me as we’ve been binge watching Line of Duty. It is really good.
@Goonergal I’ve just seen the bit about salt in your first batch of cakes, thank heaven you realised in time!
@shelley262 your Christmas dinner with family sounds as if it was a perfect day, so glad it went well, especially if your eldest was having a bad morning.
@Chook brilliant bg results after your dinner, glad to see they are settling down for you.
@BibaBee I think you showed remarkable restraint at the party. Well done for avoiding the Pringles.
Current fave breakfast of boiled egg and marmite soldiers made from the last 1/3 of the Lidl roll
Lunch was cheese and crackers ( Shelley262’s recipe) then choc chia pud ( @maglil55 ‘s recipe using coconut milk which is sweet enough that I dont need to add any extra sweetener)
Dinner was the DD breakfast casserole, I think @Emma_369 recommended it. It was lovely but I’d call it a crustless quiche, nothing like a casserole.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, bit of an intruder,
Just wanted say thanks and let ya all know how the baking went...

@shelley262 , took the time to coach me though the crispbread recipe.

Now trust me when I say that was MOST welcome indeed, as this is my first attempt ever at baking.

Ingredients...check
Oven on .. check
Mix mixed in ok...check.
Baking tray ready, ..check
Little oil on greaseproof paper ...check.
Mixture spread out and thinned, cut into 10 pieces, stuck in oven 30 mins.....check.

Then started on frying some bacon for dinner.
was all going OH so well......

SOOOooo, greaseproof paper, and tray out of oven...crispbread looks ok

Apparently you all forgot to mention, that putting greaseproof paper into a hot oven..= safe

Resting it on tray next to open flame = NOT SAFE...:***:

Cue frantic efforts to put out fire without destroying my precious crispbread..:woot::wideyed::bigtears:

me then running across kitchen paper fully on fire and reaching up to my fingers...

Bonus points for finding sink empty of dishes to dump flaming greaseproof paper into asap..
Double bonus points for doing it when missus was at the cousins for weekend..RESULT...

Crispbread survived ok...a bit moist in middle but biscuit moist not bread moist.
crispy,,nice ..a little flavourless..(more salt n pepper next time)
Ate with slab of butter and philadelphia cream cheese..perfectly acceptable
not bad for first effort.i thought..:D

ready now to take on a little more baking and being more adventurous.
just got wait for the breathing apparatus, fire blankets & extinguishers to arrive from Amazon..
Gotta love Amazon PRIME...should be here by monday

ooh. and pic of the remaining crispbread
uc

Last edited: