Type 2 Low blood sugar

macker

Hi I am a diabetic for the last three years averaging about 7.00 blood sugar. Yesterday it dropped to 2.3 but I cannot understand why as I did not do anything unusual to cause it. I had a meal and a leisurely walk and two and a half hours later felt weak and dizzy. So I tested and discovered this level. Does anyone have an idea why this might have happened?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
diamicron

Hi did your doctor explain that this medication can cause hypoglycemia and what to do? Either way it is important to report this to you diabetes team as soon as possible.

Tagging @Boo1979 who is the only member I can think of currently taking gliclazide

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Trajenta is a Gliptin which improves insulin response.
This may have caused the low reading.
It could also have been a rogue reading.

If you get another low reading, test again, then see your GP if it still low, as the dosage needs adjustment.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi did your doctor explain that this medication can cause hypoglycemia and what to do? Either way it is important to report this to you diabetes team as soon as possible.

Tagging @Boo1979 who is the only member I can think of currently taking gliclazide
Diamicron is one of the brand names for Gliclazide
Yes Ive been on Gliclazide for a long time and it can cause hypos as it mainly works by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin, particularly first phase insulin production. I was originally on ‘normal’ Gliclazide but was then switched to the modified release (Diamicrom MR) version which the hospital said would produce fewer hypos
Did you have any alcohol with your meal? - alcohol combined with Gliclazide or similar drugs increases the risk of hypos
Do you know whay your sugars were before you went on your walk? - starting even leisurely exercise if your sugars are already on a 4/5 when you are on Gliclazide or similar drugs increases the risk of hypo.
I would agree with discussing the situation with your GP as the dose / formulation of your meds may need altering