LCHF - HOW MUCH FAT?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding I really struggle with any carbs with the exception of porage which I can eat and only have about a 1.1 increase in my BG after 2 hours.

How is it after 2.5 or 3hrs? It can be a sneaky late rise with porridge for some people

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How is it after 2.5 or 3hrs? It can be a sneaky late rise with porridge for some people

I haven't checked after 2 hours, tomorrow morning I will try this and let you know. I always feel fine which I am pleased about.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

For me it was always two and a half hours that I went hypo after porridge.
I thought I had found my ideal breakfast, before I discovered what this so called healthy food did to me!

Reactions: Atlantico

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again @Atlantico.

I understand feeling uneasy about the high healthy fat levels. I still hold to my recommendation that you follow the logic and arguments online yourself, but particularly Nina Teicholz book The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet, and any related interviews/youtubes. This is a really thorough explanation and should calm your qualms.

But most importantly I feel, do what Robb Wolf in 'The Paleo Solution' first 'spoke to me' about :), back in the day when I first found upping healthy fat so weird. Get your blood lipids and HBA1c of course, tested. Up your healthy fats, then get them tested again. Give it a couple of months. Get your doctor or practice nurse to explain all the results to you, or, read up on how to interpret your blood lipid results online and do it yourself. Making sure you use the measurements of your country as they differ. Well - the American ones differ to the rest of the world's. :).

Then - you are using your own body and physical state as proof that your new way of eating is actually good for you!

I of course, like Robb Wolf in his book, am confident that you will get much improved blood lipid results. And of course the low carbing is great for your HBA1c, and if you are lucky you will get healthy blood glucose levels, depending on what kind of diabetes you have. Whichever way - they will be better than before.

Reactions: Lamont D

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I had porridge this morning and pre breakfast my bg was 4.8. My breakfast consisted of approx 20g dry weight rolled oats porridge, sk milk 6 raspberries, flaked almonds, sunflower seeds and 3 raisins followed by cup of extremely weak black coffee. (I realise skimmed milk isn't best but I make enough for my husband at the same time).
8.30am Pre breakfast BG 4.8
11am Started to feel very shaky, especially my hands and thighs, blurred vision. Bg 5.2
11.30am Bg 5.8
12.10 pm Bg 5.5. Feel very shaky, hot face and blurred vision.
12.40pm Bg 5.2

You will see I never went above 2 full numbers with my BG readings but does it still mean my body can't cope with porridge?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had porridge this morning and pre breakfast my bg was 4.8. My breakfast consisted of approx 20g dry weight rolled oats porridge, sk milk 6 raspberries, flaked almonds, sunflower seeds and 3 raisins followed by cup of extremely weak black coffee. (I realise skimmed milk isn't best but I make enough for my husband at the same time).
11am Started to feel very shaky, especially my hands and thighs, blurred vision. Bg 5.2
11.30am Bg 5.8
12.40pm Bg 5.2

You will see I never went above 2 full numbers with my BG readings but does it still mean my body can't cope with porridge?
Does this breakfast normally make you feel this way? I don’t know a lot about how rh reacts to carbs symptom wise tbh. Just that oats can sneak attack .

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
11.30am Bg 5.8
12.40pm Bg 5.2

Porridge is always one of those foods wether you can tolerate it or not. I can't, there is enough carbs in all grains for me to trigger an insulin response
The 2 and a half hours between your pre meal test and your next reading your blood glucose levels could have climbed to double figures mmols and then crash back. That is the reason for those symptoms.
The first hour is important in discovering what happens and when you spike.

I would definitely do some testing for food like porridge, pre meal, every fifteen minutes after. So you can experience the spike and drop.

Best wishes

Reactions: AloeSvea and HSSS