struggling

padulica

Hi,
I I started C25K last summer so try to run 3 times a week. sometimes at the gym , sometimes whilst taking the dog for his exercise. I walk my dog daily. I started low carbing in the new year. I started 8 week sugar diet of Michael Mosely last week , I am struggling as I am feeling tired all the time.
I am off work for 2 weeks at present but dreading going back to work on Monday as i feel so tired. has anyone else felt like this and is it work upping my calories /carbs ?
Padulica :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are trying to do an awful lot on very little.
Perhaps if you sort out what your main aim is - if you need to lower your blood glucose levels then the low carb is probably the most important thing to go for, and leave your other objectives until you are adapted to ketosis and have normal BG readings after meals.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I I started C25K last summer so try to run 3 times a week. sometimes at the gym , sometimes whilst taking the dog for his exercise. I walk my dog daily. I started low carbing in the new year. I started 8 week sugar diet of Michael Mosely last week , I am struggling as I am feeling tired all the time.
I am off work for 2 weeks at present but dreading going back to work on Monday as i feel so tired. has anyone else felt like this and is it work upping my calories /carbs ?
Can't really tell, as we don't know what your diet was and what exactly you changed it to. If you went from moderately low carb to really low carb, you might be experiencing keto- or carb-flu. (Fatigue, headaches, aching joints etc. It really does feel like the flu). Thing is, that passes as you grow accustomed to less carbs. Takes one or two weeks for someone with a metabolic impairment, few days for someone who's "healthy". Upping the fats might help, but I wouldn't up the carbs as it'd undo any progress you've made in that area... I'm not training though, so what do I know. ;) But bloodsugar control should be your priority, really. But that is up to you entirely.

padulica

Thank you so much for your replies. My diet since I started running has not been as good as it should be .. let’s say I have been eating more carbs than I should and more bread .
I agree that it could be carb flu . You are right I have to decide what is more important to me . Let’s hope it gets better as the days go on..
I didn’t know that carb flu can be worse if you have a metabolic disorder☹️
I will have to try the fats but am still a bit unsure due to 50 years of “ fat is bad “. I know it’s the the kind of fat but it is still taking some coming to terms with .

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
hi Padulica,
Like you had years of "fat is bad" At diagnosis for prediabetes also had raised cholesterol. Reading around the subject got information that more exercise can help cholesterol levels, so decided to concentrate on the prediabetes and more or less ignored the cholesterol levels. Amazingly they have come down, in spite of me eating more butter, cream, cheese and bacon than ever before in my life.
So it can work. Higher fat leading to lower cholesterol.
Good luck in designing a diet that works for you.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on the LCHF programme for a year or more and have lost over a stone but I have recently been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease and told I will have to change my eating habits completely.
If anyone can suggest a suitable compromise I would appreciate some advice.
The "diet" I have been given to follow conflicts with my Diabetic one and I am at loss to know what to do
for the best.
I am an 80 year old Male Type 2.

Tigernash

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you so much for your replies. My diet since I started running has not been as good as it should be .. let’s say I have been eating more carbs than I should and more bread .
I agree that it could be carb flu . You are right I have to decide what is more important to me . Let’s hope it gets better as the days go on..
I didn’t know that carb flu can be worse if you have a metabolic disorder☹️
I will have to try the fats but am still a bit unsure due to 50 years of “ fat is bad “. I know it’s the the kind of fat but it is still taking some coming to terms with .

Take it back a few steps. Re-evaluate the added sugar in your diet first. If the only sugars you are having are from carb sources then look at the types of carbs then adjust, after this is done you then look at the amount you are having.

Don't get caught up in this "good" "bad" carb thing to much. Remember a keto diet and a Japanese style diet both work for losing some weight. This is because they both eliminate sugar from the diet.

Keep it simple as much as you can and please fuel the body if you push it harder than you normally would.

It's a tortoise and the hare race, slow and steady my friend

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Padulica - Could I ask why you were awar from work last week? I'm absolutely not looking for any detail or big disclosures, but more was it holiday, sickness, or whatever? Do you enjoy the work you do?

Could you tell us when you started feeling tired? What was your regime at that time? Have the changes you have made since changed how you were feeling before the changes?

padulica

i was on holiday for 2 weeks,Some times yes I do enjoy my job other times i do not ...I would imagine that is similar to a lot of people. . The tiredness started when I started cutting my carbs last week, not wanting to do my normal exercise. I am still keeping to the diet and have reduced my physical activity. ie .running and going to the gym.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i was on holiday for 2 weeks,Some times yes I do enjoy my job other times i do not ...I would imagine that is similar to a lot of people. . The tiredness started when I started cutting my carbs last week, not wanting to do my normal exercise. I am still keeping to the diet and have reduced my physical activity. ie .running and going to the gym.

It sounds like it might just be your body adjusting, but keep an eye on it.