Type 2 Getting over finger prick fear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks I've been a T2 for nearly 4 years now and have never been able to get over the fear of testing my self. My A1C has been my only indicator which was 96 at diagnosis, that and urine test strips telling me at some point it must have exceeded 11 during the last few hours. I've started to low carb but don't have a clue how I'm doing apart from the odd show of ketones in my urine. Does anyone else have fear of plunging their fingers with a lancing device?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have any phobias so I can't realy understand how you are affected, I don't mean to appear insensitive.

Did you prick the side of the finger, the tip of the finger is full of nerve endings and will likely hurt.

The only time it hurts me is when I have used my Lancet for too long and it has become blunt.

Without testing you can't see how food is affecting you, what you need to avoid in order to keep your numbers down

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s all in the positioning of the device. Only rest it against your finger. Don’t press it against the skin

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have friends that are anything like mine, they'll love pricking your finger while you look the other way with your eyes tightly shut, the both of you hysterically laughing. The hysterical laughter will keep your mind from the prick and after a couple of times you might be up to doing it yourself.
I've never had a problem with finger pricking, but I do have a problem with taking my glucose sensor plus adhesive tape off the back of my arm. The friend tactic is the way I usually do it. Still not up to ripping it off myself, so very happy I meet with one of my friends tomorrow. Have changed sensors last thursday, but the expired one is still on my arm as I haven't seen anyone in the last couple of days.

Reactions: HSSS

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone else have fear of plunging their fingers with a lancing device?

Try getting hold of a One Touch Delica, see pic below, been using it for about 7 yrs now.

Phone the makers, they'll send you one for free.

Looks like a sports car, dial up depths between 1 and 7.

otdelicalancingdevice_whitebackground.jpg

maisie_15

Hi folks I've been a T2 for nearly 4 years now and have never been able to get over the fear of testing my self. My A1C has been my only indicator which was 96 at diagnosis, that and urine test strips telling me at some point it must have exceeded 11 during the last few hours. I've started to low carb but don't have a clue how I'm doing apart from the odd show of ketones in my urine. Does anyone else have fear of plunging their fingers with a lancing device?
For some strange reason I always find my pinkie fingers the juiciest if you ever do prick

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s really no worse than catching yourself whilst sewing etc and often much less. But then it’s never worried me so I’m afraid I don’t really understand. In fact I’m a bit odd and like all medically type stuff. I watched the surgeon operate on my elbow a few years ago (whole arm was totally numb)

Definitely use one that has adjustable depth. Start at the lowest setting. You might not even feel it. Have warm clean hands that you’ve gently milked from hand towards the tips. Aim for the sides of the fingertip not then very ends or pads. I find pinkie and ring fingers bleed easiest so start with them. Failing that I love the idea of getting someone as weird as me to do it for you to get you over the hurdle.

Reactions: Antje77