Hba1c result of 41 without any medication

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can do 'normal' with meds then the next step is to try without meds and see if you can still do 'normal.
Of course it would be fabulous to do without meds, its certainly my goal, but I will be quite happy if I require metformin to achieve the same result if that is my only option. Neither position results in diabetic complications and that is what matters for me.
Please be nice to each other or you will be censored, I, for example, must be kind to vegans , imagine who you might have to be kind to.

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@biren1973 Your HbA1c of 41 is the same as 5.9% so yours has increased since your last test.

However, it is still within the normal range for non-diabetics, albeit only just. But, it is a lot lower than it was 2 years ago.

Personally, I wouldn't take medication, and never have done, and in your shoes I would be inclined to revisit my diet and see if I have been "more relaxed" since your last test. It is so easy to relax the diet once you have an excellent HbA1c such as yours was on the test before this one. It could be worth looking at this before going down the medication route.
Yes, you are absolutely right. I need to revisit my diet again. I remember on few occasions in past few months before my test, I was bit flexible in my diet which could have resulted in increase. Thanks for your feedback.

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for your very much valuable feedback. I personally feel it is always a good idea to reduce blood sugar without medication if possible. We actually don't know what is inside the medicine. I have a feeling taking medicine may harm on long term (even though it gives good results of BG being lower) than diet and exercise control. Every medicine in the world has side affects. Some side affects are visible/known, some are not known at all and which could lead to some other complications at later Life.

I m very much motivated by only this forum from those members who have reversed their condition just by following some diet and lifestyle changes. Unfortunately in these days, doctors fondo focus much on diet life style change rather than on medication, especially as long as my own gp is concerned.

Thanks once more for your valuable information.

Reactions: Prem51 and HSSS

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can do 'normal' with meds then the next step is to try without meds and see if you can still do 'normal.
Of course it would be fabulous to do without meds, its certainly my goal, but I will be quite happy if I require metformin to achieve the same result if that is my only option. Neither position results in diabetic complications and that is what matters for me.
Please be nice to each other or you will be censored, I, for example, must be kind to vegans , imagine who you might have to be kind to.
Well said

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think I should have taken medication metaformin as recommended by doctor?

I don't think this a "should or should not" issue, neither is there a "better or worse way" or "right or wrong" approach.

The evidence appears to show that Metformin will help lower your HbA1c over time by a few mmol/mol.

Alongside the other lifestyle changes you have undertaken, it is likely that if you had taken the Metformin as recommended by your GP your HbA1c may have come in a little bit lower, but not by a dramatic margin.

The decision as to whether that is preferable is one only an individual can make, based on their own outlook and longer term goals.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why?

Do you get to use the express lane at the Pearly Gates for not using any?

All medication has side effects metformin included.
Surely therefore avoiding any chance of side effects if possible is beneficial.

Reactions: HSSS

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely therefore avoiding any chance of side effects if possible is beneficial.

I don't really think the message that it is either beneficial or somehow better to deal with T2D without using medication is particularly supportive, or fits in the with overall ethos of this forum, but what do I know?

I certainly don't claim to have all (or any) of the answers, so I'll leave it to the experts.

@biren1973 please ignore my reply to your post. It was clearly too balanced for this forum.

Grazer

There is a major difference between Metformin and other meds of course.

Metformin has very little impact on BGs. On maximum dose, it can reduce peak Bgs by a max of 1 - 2 mmols, IF those peaks are high. And 1 - 2 mmols doesn't help much if you're peaking in the teens. At lower peaks, and onlower doses, the effect on BGs can be almost non-existent. However, many studies, particularly in the States, have shown that it is a superb preventative of cardio vascular episodes. Some eminent endocrinologists have suggested that everyone over 50 should take metformin whether diabetic or not! A bit like statins or aspirin I guess, except that over decades metformin has been shown to have no serious side effects, other than the famous tummy troubles. And even those are very rare on modified/extended release metformin.
For that reason, I take half-dose metformin as a choice, even though my doctor didn't want to prescribe it.

Other meds, such as Glyclazide for example, are a different matter. Glyc causes the pancreas to produce more insulin succesfully, but in so doing can burn up more beta cells, so higher levels of Glyc are needed, more cells down, and so on until max allowed Glyclazide doses are reached and stronger meds are needed. In other words, some meds can help Diabetes to be progressive in nature. For that reason, I'd choose to manage without meds OTHER than metformin if possible.

Just my view!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a major difference between Metformin and other meds of course.

Metformin has very little impact on BGs. On maximum dose, it can reduce peak Bgs by a max of 1 - 2 mmols, IF those peaks are high. And 1 - 2 mmols doesn't help much if you're peaking in the teens. At lower peaks, and onlower doses, the effect on BGs can be almost non-existent. However, many studies, particularly in the States, have shown that it is a superb preventative of cardio vascular episodes. Some eminent endocrinologists have suggested that everyone over 50 should take metformin whether diabetic or not! A bit like statins or aspirin I guess, except that over decades metformin has been shown to have no serious side effects, other than the famous tummy troubles. And even those are very rare on modified/extended release metformin.
For that reason, I take half-dose metformin as a choice, even though my doctor didn't want to prescribe it.

Other meds, such as Glyclazide for example, are a different matter. Glyc causes the pancreas to produce more insulin succesfully, but in so doing can burn up more beta cells, so higher levels of Glyc are needed, more cells down, and so on until max allowed Glyclazide doses are reached and stronger meds are needed. In other words, some meds can help Diabetes to be progressive in nature. For that reason, I'd choose to manage without meds OTHER than metformin if possible.

Just my view!

I have no dog in this fight but Met Tummy is not the only side effect. Long term use of Metformin can, in some people, cause malabsorption of vitB 12 which is an essential nutrient.

Reactions: HSSS

Grazer

You're right guzzler, in about 1 in 20 cases according to a study. However, taking vitamin supplements isn't too much of an issue. I think the protection from heart attacks (or similar) is worth the trade off with a possible vitamin deficiency. Each to they're own of course. We just need to have the knowledge so we can make the informed choices.

Reactions: Speedbird

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You're right guzzler, in about 1 in 20 cases according to a study. However, taking vitamin supplements isn't too much of an issue. I think the protection from heart attacks (or similar) is worth the trade off with a possible vitamin deficiency. Each to they're own of course. We just need to have the knowledge so we can make the informed choices.

I agree, but we do need all the information, such as what the treatment for vitB12 deficiency is in terms of long term QoL.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I'll know your name of course - or avatar name - can you reveal this or is that a no-no on here now for mods?
Ah. Good point. Before I took up this role, I flew under the flag of AndBreathe. I keep sort of forgetting I'm somewhat incognito.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I consider A1c of 37 with metformin to be better then 40 without for example. Metformin has been shown to decrease the number of people who are at high risk of type2 who develope it, hence I think it is worth taking but only if you don't get the side effects.

Grazer

Hi @Indy51! Sorry, missed your post somehow. Yeah, thought I'd pop in and see if you're all behaving yourselves!
How's your diabeatnikness going?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Indy51! Sorry, missed your post somehow. Yeah, thought I'd pop in and see if you're all behaving yourselves!
How's your diabeatnikness going?
My diabetes is pretty much still on cruise control - my A1c hardly varies from 34 and my carb allowance is still around 30-35g per meal to stay under 7.8. I try not to get too complacent though and still regularly check BG and do my check-ins here, even though I probably don't contribute as much as I have done in the past. Pretty much feel like I've said everything I have to say on the subject, tbh.

How's things with you?

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Grazer

I'm much the same! I was never as low as you, but my A1c varies from 37 (best) to 41 (worst) and I'm ok with that. Still on about 150/160 grams of low GI carbs per day.
Off to Nassau in less than a week for a bit of snorkeling and Sun - plus a few bevvies!

Reactions: Indy51