1st HbA1c Result Post Diagnosis...Could Be Better!

ViolaChiri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, while I am not new to the forum this will be my first thread :)

Was diagnosed in November 2018 with a HbA1c of 86 (10%). My sugars were largely uncontrolled till December when I discovered this forum and Jason Fung and started intermittent fasting as well as reducing my carb intake. My fasting sugars usually range in the 5/6s and during the day they tend to be in the 4s or low 5s.

I was therefore a bit disappointed to see my HbA1c is now 68 (8.4%) I suppose after reading about members in the forum who drastically reduced their numbers in three months was expecting the same. Either way a reduction is still something to be celebrated, I know my next HbA1c will also see a decrease and I hope it will fall to pre or non diabetic levels.

I also want to thank all of you here for the invaluable information and encouragement given on this forum. I honestly thought my life was over with the diagnosis and was waiting for the blindness, kidney failure and all sorts of horrific things as the disease progressed. I am now hopeful that I can manage my diabetes without the inevitable complications we are made to believe we will suffer. Again many thanks :happy:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The important thing to take out of that is that it is dropping. It's a positive result. You're on the right track. Congrats.

Reactions: ViolaChiri

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I second the important thing is the drop - it doesn't matter by how much, @ViolaChiri, it's in the right direction: everybody's body is different from everyone else's. Some have amazing reductions and then keep on steadily dropping; others have a great drop at first and then crawl, e.g me through the 40s! Well done and do celebrate! :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, while I am not new to the forum this will be my first thread :)

Was diagnosed in November 2018 with a HbA1c of 86 (10%). My sugars were largely uncontrolled till December when I discovered this forum and Jason Fung and started intermittent fasting as well as reducing my carb intake. My fasting sugars usually range in the 5/6s and during the day they tend to be in the 4s or low 5s.

I was therefore a bit disappointed to see my HbA1c is now 68 (8.4%) I suppose after reading about members in the forum who drastically reduced their numbers in three months was expecting the same. Either way a reduction is still something to be celebrated, I know my next HbA1c will also see a decrease and I hope it will fall to pre or non diabetic levels.

I also want to thank all of you here for the invaluable information and encouragement given on this forum. I honestly thought my life was over with the diagnosis and was waiting for the blindness, kidney failure and all sorts of horrific things as the disease progressed. I am now hopeful that I can manage my diabetes without the inevitable complications we are made to believe we will suffer. Again many thanks :happy:

Congrats on lowering your blood sugars, @ViolaChiri. Wonderful achievement. Also remember that an HbA1c test covers a three-month time period. So, this test results will still include a period of uncontrolled blood sugars. Your next HbA1c should be considerable lower.

Again, really well done.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ViolaChiri I agree with Tophat - you've made great progress so try not to get down over this, it's a marathon not a race is my favourite saying, so take it in your stride and keep doing what your doing :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations, the number is going down, that’s all that matters. Keep up the good work x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As said above, you are going down so are on the right track. Your test is barely 2 months, if that, since you found this forum and Jason Fung, so not at all a 3 month period. There will have been quite a few of your old blood cells in that calculation.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
was expecting the same

No two people are the same, and especially no two T2D's are the same.

You are moving in the right direction, and have achieved an impressive reduction, so be positive and continue what you are doing, as it is clearly working for you.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with everyone else, congratulations and keep up the good work.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a good result in quite a short period - stick to low carb foods and look forward to salad days and you'll not go far wrong, with a bit of luck.