Telling off for self testing

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be clear, did the DN have the blood tests RESULTS, but didn't share them with you?
No she took the blood samples & said I would hear quite quickly if there was a problem or get a letter in 2 - 3 weeks

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No she took the blood samples & said I would hear quite quickly if there was a problem or get a letter in 2 - 3 weeks
How can she possibly discuss them, your progress and give ongoing relevant advice for you (or make meds adjustments and recommendations for those using them) if she doesn’t have the results. Outrageous, bordering on negligent imo. New nurse of if that’s not possible new surgery would be on my list.

Reactions: Prem51

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
I am type 2 controlled by diet & exercise & have just had my first annual review. To say it didn't go well would be an understatement, I actually got a good telling off for self testing. I was told that if they deemed it necessary then a meter would have been prescribed so why was I doing it. I replied that I was eating to my meter in the hope of controlling my diabetes & not putting myself at risk of complications. The DN said that it was a waste of time as I would have to test all day long as it changes. My food diary didn't get looked at & I left feeling really emotional like a naughty child.
Am I wrong for testing my blood ?

I have much more serious medical problems than diabetes along with quite a few others on this forum.

I have lots of contact with the medical profession and nurses, diabetic nurses also. I have learnt through bitter experience that it is better to totally ignore anything nurses tell me about managing my conditions especially diabetic nurses. I now only take note of what the hospital diabetic consultant says.
I am totally fed up of receiving conflicting advice from diabetic nurses.

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That wasn't a review! Maybe ask for one when the results are in.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That wasn't a review! Maybe ask for one when the results are in.
I would agree but given what the op has experienced so far I doubt the usefulness of it. Just make sure, by whatever means, you get the actual numbers from the tests which should arrive at the surgery in the next few days. If you don’t understand any pop back in here and we’ll do our best to help.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery don't put results on line. It's a local decision. I asked at reception how to do it and they gave me a code which I had to use to register.
I’m in the same position but can now see my results online after signing up to MyDiabetesMyWay which has recently been rolled out in Somerset.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m in the same position but can now see my results online after signing up to MyDiabetesMyWay which has recently been rolled out in Somerset.
Lucky you! Not holding my breath waiting for roll out in my area :(

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would agree but given what the op has experienced so far I doubt the usefulness of it. Just make sure, by whatever means, you get the actual numbers from the tests which should arrive at the surgery in the next few days. If you don’t understand any pop back in here and we’ll do our best to help.[/QUOTE
Suggestion is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but would show how serious OP is about taking responsibility for their diabetes even if DN isn't.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly this attitude from DN's is far too common. It is NOT malpractice, but it should be!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...My DN behaved in a THROUGHLY disrespectful manner today.
They were TOTALLY unprofessional..

They Brought shame on the practise AND on the doctor's who by allowing them to bully and intimidate vulnerable patients, when she SHOULD be offering professional guidance, would I hope be horrified.

Is THAT what all those years at Medical School teach.?

That THEY knowingly allow such a person to work unsupervised in their practise, reflects poorly on them as individuals & as professionals.

Perhaps they deserve the benefit of the doubt that they DON'T KNOW.

And I hope once they do, they get a little
Humility, and begin teaching that berating and humiliating patients is NOT acceptable.

I have rated your list with a HUG.
not because it is what I felt, but because the FURIOUS , & , F****** OUTRAGEOUS Emojis seem to have slipped off the forum pages.

Quite possible due to being overworked by posts like THIS.

I wonder if the next unfortunate to be picked off by an over zealous NHS stormtrooper ...who then turned up with a friend or two might give any surgery pause for thought that SOMETHING was VERY WRONG.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree but given what the op has experienced so far I doubt the usefulness of it. Just make sure, by whatever means, you get the actual numbers from the tests which should arrive at the surgery in the next few days. If you don’t understand any pop back in here and we’ll do our best to help.
I will get the results and post them as I am new to this and only understand the hba1c & cholesterol, I don’t think I will get the full picture from the surgery

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I will get the results and post them as I am new to this and only understand the hba1c & cholesterol, I don’t think I will get the full picture from the surgery

That does not sound like a diabetes review with a diabetes nurse. The whole thing smacks of what a health care assistant does prior to a full review with a nurse once all the results are in. Are you sure she was a nurse and not an HCP? That might explain her lack of knowledge and behaviour.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly many, many people come across this DN's attitude. It's up to us to re-educate them.

My DNs so far have been very supportive. You can't argue with 122 to 35 in 4/5 months.

Not sure what I would do if I came across a dinosaur. If they were completely closed minded I would probably smile sweetly and walk away.

@atad are you using the mySugr app? Record your food and readings. After a week or so it will give you an estimated HbA1c. I found it highly motivating when I was just starting out. It's free unless you want to export data. You can turn off the sound in settings. Great for kids, not so great at my age!

I think you're doing great

Reactions: DJC3 and Prem51

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That does not sound like a diabetes review with a diabetes nurse. The whole thing smacks of what a health care assistant does prior to a full review with a nurse once all the results are in. Are you sure she was a nurse and not an HCP? That might explain her lack of knowledge and behaviour.

This is how annual reviews work at my GP too, but with a technician not a nurse. They check your feet, weigh you, take blood, and that's the review complete. You only speak to someone about diabetes if they decide to summon you for a telling off from the nurse based on your blood results.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
At my GP surgery you are normally given an appointment for the blood draw with a health care assistant (who also gives the flu jab) then 7 to 10 days later you have an appointment with the DN who checks feet, height, weight, etc and gives you the results of all the tests they've done on your blood. Mine included kidneys, liver, thyroid, cholesterol and Hb A1c.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She was definitely the diabetic nurse

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly many, many people come across this DN's attitude. It's up to us to re-educate them.

My DNs so far have been very supportive. You can't argue with 122 to 35 in 4/5 months.

Not sure what I would do if I came across a dinosaur. If they were completely closed minded I would probably smile sweetly and walk away.

@atad are you using the mySugr app? Record your food and readings. After a week or so it will give you an estimated HbA1c. I found it highly motivating when I was just starting out. It's free unless you want to export data. You can turn off the sound in settings. Great for kids, not so great at my age!

I think you're doing great
Yes I am using the mySugr app and keeping a food diary

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

This is how annual reviews work at my GP too, but with a technician not a nurse. They check your feet, weigh you, take blood, and that's the review complete. You only speak to someone about diabetes if they decide to summon you for a telling off from the nurse based on your blood results.
At my GP surgery you are normally given an appointment for the blood draw with a health care assistant (who also gives the flu jab) then 7 to 10 days later you have an appointment with the DN who checks feet, height, weight, etc and gives you the results of all the tests they've done on your blood. Mine included kidneys, liver, thyroid, cholesterol and Hb A1c.
I fell out of my chair laughing at that lot.

Here's what happens at my GP, every six months I get blood tests done for hba1c, digoxin levels etc, I get the result of these back within two days from my GP. I get five free visits per year to the podiatrist that checks my feet over.

The GP and I have a chat regarding my latest hba1c and bgl when I get my NDSS subsidised strip request form signed off by him, this always happens when I get my results back. I could not see my him telling me off though, or any of nursing staff in the treatment rooms.

I see the optometrist once a year, unless something is amiss.

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51