Trying for number 2

sarahdennis87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

So me and hubby are actively trying for number two

Our first child was born August 2015, hba1c 7.0-7.4% all the way through and although not ideal our daughter was born perfectly healthy.

I’ve been on folic acid since April, also have libre funded due to preconception. Hba1c is now 7.0% and just had news of gettin dexcom funded due to no hypo awareness.

Thing is, I have fallen pregnant 3 times very easily (unfortunately 2 baby losses) and this time around it’s taking a lot longer and now I’m starting to worry.

I’ve just turned 31 and recently been diagnosed with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (pancreas not producing enzymes), I’m malnourished due to this and wondering if this is affecting me. I’m just worried that now we can’t have another child.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
HI @sarahdennis87, Please make sure you are having a full pregnancy supplement including iodine.
Best Wishes for success and hoping Dexcom helps !!

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah,

Do you mind if I ask where in the UK you are based? My wife has recently been turned down for dexcom funding. We've been self funding it for over three years now and also trying for baby number two. My wife has issues with a lack of hypo awareness overnight which is one of the reasons we are self funding it. We've also had a miscarriage since trying so similar situation to yourself. Her HAB1C is uasually around the 6.0-6.5% mark thanks mainly to the help from the Dexcom. I think you will find the Dexcom really helpful. All the best.

sarahdennis87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sarah,

Do you mind if I ask where in the UK you are based? My wife has recently been turned down for dexcom funding. We've been self funding it for over three years now and also trying for baby number two. My wife has issues with a lack of hypo awareness overnight which is one of the reasons we are self funding it. We've also had a miscarriage since trying so similar situation to yourself. Her HAB1C is uasually around the 6.0-6.5% mark thanks mainly to the help from the Dexcom. I think you will find the Dexcom really helpful. All the best.
Hi. I’m in Scarborough, North Yorkshire. I know it’s a postcode lottery when it comes to funding.

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. We're in York. I think we are going to try and appeal the decision.

sarahdennis87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not too far so definitely worth a try!

My diabetes nurse didn’t expect me to get the funding because there is so much criteria to hit. I was very lucky. Good luck!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @sarahdennis87 It's great you've got access to the Dexcom as it's an incredibly useful bit of kit, I don't have much to say except please try not to stress so much about this as stress has a negative effect on the body and to ensure the conditions are right it helps to be more relaxed, I know it's hard at times with t1 to feel this way but hopefully this will work out for you :)