Folllowup for Retinopathy

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been for a follow up for my Retinopathy in my right eye, the good news is that after 7 or 8 lots of laser treatment it has apparently settled and even the "Big Fan Shaped" vessel right next to my Retina has gone! so was quite relieved as I had some small micro bleeds in both eyes. But the Consultant had to go and burst my well being bubble as I mentioned that I could "see" my lens post cataract surgery, especially with bright light coming from the side. Cue lots of looking and checking, and long story short, I am one of only 3 people that he has ever encountered with this side effect from cataract surgery! He did say a really long word to diagnose it, but I can't remember it. I have to go for a second opinion for the options available as he is worried that if they try and put a new lens in, he may burst the bag that holds the lens in and "That would be disastrous to the eye and your vision" its a bit of a kick in the teeth as I had the good news regarding the Retinopathy, but am mildly pleased to be told "your an interesting case Mr Pollard, very interesting" If anyone is interested I will keep you informed as to what is happening, if anything, and the outcomes.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ooh... @johnpol
thats a bitter pill to swallow after getting such good news.

You have my sympathies and best wishes all goes well, from here on.

updates as and when would be good, better if , of the more POSITIVE nature..i'm sure you agree.

best of luck.

Reactions: johnpol and ziggy_w

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@johnpol I really hope this all works out well for you. I can understand your frustration though. If it isnt too crass lets just hope you are just “the special one”.

Reactions: Bea56 and johnpol

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been for a follow up for my Retinopathy in my right eye, the good news is that after 7 or 8 lots of laser treatment it has apparently settled and even the "Big Fan Shaped" vessel right next to my Retina has gone! so was quite relieved as I had some small micro bleeds in both eyes. But the Consultant had to go and burst my well being bubble as I mentioned that I could "see" my lens post cataract surgery, especially with bright light coming from the side. Cue lots of looking and checking, and long story short, I am one of only 3 people that he has ever encountered with this side effect from cataract surgery! He did say a really long word to diagnose it, but I can't remember it. I have to go for a second opinion for the options available as he is worried that if they try and put a new lens in, he may burst the bag that holds the lens in and "That would be disastrous to the eye and your vision" its a bit of a kick in the teeth as I had the good news regarding the Retinopathy, but am mildly pleased to be told "your an interesting case Mr Pollard, very interesting" If anyone is interested I will keep you informed as to what is happening, if anything, and the outcomes.
Can I ask if you found the laser treatment painful?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not painful as such, just uncomfortable until you hit saturation point, the point where they are getting near to the end. Then it did become painful (for me at least) but it's the redness in my vision that scared me (it goes away). Hope this helps you

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
If it is anything like in the early 80's I would say that it is comparable to someone flicking your finger with theirs rather than a sharp burning pain. In my experience, the only problem was the number of burns (over 1000) they needed to do and the relentlessness caused me to eventually pass out on one occasion. I was positively surprised, having been terrified before it started. I hope this is still the case!