Can anyone help shed some light on what's happening please?

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember your taste and appreciation of food will change with your diet. You might be surprised.
But otherwise yes cream is fine.
Yes, I have thought that. I might get a little pot of Natural yogurt and give it a try. I never used to be a fan of cream, now I love it
Thank you

Reactions: Prem51

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing to keep in mind as you progress down the line, is the "hidden carbs" in food. For example the mixed nuts you have as a snack probably contain cashew nuts, which are about 20% carbs. Perhaps try something like whole almonds which are lower in carbs, but IMO are nicer! The other thing is if a food comes in a packet, in a cardboard box, then think very carefully if it will be any good. It usually won't be.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
How do you make your "low carb" muffins - are they just normal flour, but sweetener instead of sugar? Or do you use something like almond flour? If you're just using normal flour, you need to remember that white flour can raise your BGs as much as/more than sugar!
Almond flour spikes my BG. Don't know why.

firestorm1

Firstly I know my levels are quite high atm I'm trying really hard to get them down (only got diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago) but now I seem to be going the wrong way. I was starting to get 6-7 but now I'm creeping back up into the 8s :(
Here's what I've eaten and drank yesterday and so far today
B: 2 low carb homemade raspberry muffins (I've had these before and they didn't spike my blood so didn't test 2 hours later) black tea
L: Salad sandwich with 2 slices of hovis lower carb bread before eating my level was 7 and after it went up to 7.9 so no spike had that with black tea. Then I had a coffee made with cream
T: 2 x 90% meat sausages, swede and carrot mash and a bit of gravy.again no spike. For a snack after I tested again 2 hours later I had 25g of Mixed nuts and a small bag of pork scratchings that's it
I tested before bed and got 7.6
This morning on waking I tested and got
7.8 had my breakfast shortly after (2 low carb raspberry muffins and a coffee made with full fat milk) I didn't have time to test again due to work so I tested just before lunch and got 8.2 :( ill test again in 2 hours
Where am I going wrong?
Tia
Ok if you are getting between 7-8 after two weeks you are doing OK, there is probably a lot of excess glucose in your liver and organs, it took me 3 weeks for all the sugar to drain from my eyes and my eyesight return to normal.
As regards your diet, no low carb bread or muffins,
I wont worry as the excess glucose gets used up your levels will come down a bit more into 6-7 range
are you on meds or just diet?

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok if you are getting between 7-8 after two weeks you are doing OK, there is probably a lot of excess glucose in your liver and organs, it took me 3 weeks for all the sugar to drain from my eyes and my eyesight return to normal.
As regards your diet, no low carb bread or muffins,
I wont worry as the excess glucose gets used up your levels will come down a bit more into 6-7 range
are you on meds or just diet?
I'm on just diet

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Starfish18 I find that I will have a bad week or two around my cycle where I just can’t get my levels down under 7s. It is so annoying but when I look back over months of data, it always happens. Your stubborn figures could be something other than food causing it.

Reactions: Starfish18

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Firstly I know my levels are quite high atm I'm trying really hard to get them down (only got diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago) but now I seem to be going the wrong way. I was starting to get 6-7 but now I'm creeping back up into the 8s :(
Here's what I've eaten and drank yesterday and so far today
B: 2 low carb homemade raspberry muffins (I've had these before and they didn't spike my blood so didn't test 2 hours later) black tea
L: Salad sandwich with 2 slices of hovis lower carb bread before eating my level was 7 and after it went up to 7.9 so no spike had that with black tea. Then I had a coffee made with cream
T: 2 x 90% meat sausages, swede and carrot mash and a bit of gravy.again no spike. For a snack after I tested again 2 hours later I had 25g of Mixed nuts and a small bag of pork scratchings that's it
I tested before bed and got 7.6
This morning on waking I tested and got
7.8 had my breakfast shortly after (2 low carb raspberry muffins and a coffee made with full fat milk) I didn't have time to test again due to work so I tested just before lunch and got 8.2 :( ill test again in 2 hours
Where am I going wrong?
Tia

Hi

Bread, low carb muffins, carrots and swede mash are all things that arent the greatest when trying to low carb for blood sugar control, i like the phrase most things that grow under the ground are worse for you than those that grow above the ground veg wise - Cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli - i stick to these but its a personal choice and i know carrots, swede, potatoes etc arent good for me.

Its a case of trying foods and testing to see the effect and dont forget exercise is great for dropping your sugar levels, you will be surprised over time what raised your levels and what doesnt as we are all different.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of carby things in your food choices. Maybe revisit your menu and make some changes? Remember, the 2 hour time is just a guideline. Your peaks could be coming earlier or later than that.

The Swede and carrot mash will not be helping. Any food that is squashed, mashed, juiced etc will affect blood sugars a lot more than the same food eaten whole.
I have huge respect for your posts and understanding of how to manage diabetes. I take the point about "whole" foods and purist approach. Am I the only one who can't eat those any other way and finds going a little "feral" with foods such as that makes LC doable?

Grazer

i like the phrase most things that grow under the ground are worse for you than those that grow above the ground veg wise - Cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli -

I wrote that for this forum in a welcoming note about 8 years ago, so can't disagree.

However, I'm not so sure about the downer on low carb muffins. Everything has to be taken in moderation, but the use of almond flour gives us a treat with very little carbs unless the muffin is huge of course. I believe that we need to settle on a diet that we can live happily with forever, so a few almond flour treats fit easily in a well planned diet. Both the absolute carbs and the glycaemic index of them in almond flour are quite acceptable for most.
I've known loads of people on VLC diets, less than 30 a day to achieve ketosis, but most haven't stuck to it and end up worse than those who settle for something not quite so radical
Of course, some people may need to go that radical, or may do so for a while to get BGs/weight under control, and well done them.
The key of course is testing to see how you as an individual react to different foodstuffs; but not once, you have to do it a few times with identical foods in case you get anomalies. You don't want to either think something is ok because you got a one-off good reading, or disqualify it because you got a one off slightly bad reading

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 I find that I will have a bad week or two around my cycle where I just can’t get my levels down under 7s. It is so annoying but when I look back over months of data, it always happens. Your stubborn figures could be something other than food causing it.
Thank you. That's something to bear in mind.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have huge respect for your posts and understanding of how to manage diabetes. I take the point about "whole" foods and purist approach. Am I the only one who can't eat those any other way and finds going a little "feral" with foods such as that makes LC doable?

Thank you ... blushing now.

I can't answer your question though!

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you ... blushing now.

I can't answer your question though!
No need to blush. The question was largely rhetorical i guess. There are a few enviable members who can maintain a strict keto/LC/crnivore etc regime but I am pretty sure the rest of us have degrees of feral eating. IMHO one has to be able to "stay the course" and celeriac and swede mash and the like are better compromises than the full carb versions. One or two puritan members - not you - need to be less dismissive of us JAMs.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im not a massive fan of yogurt would double cream and chopped blueberries be ok instead?
I think you are doing well considering you are only a couple of weeks in. Apart from the carrot and swede mash which may raise your BG swede on it's own would be better. To be honest I can't see anything else wrong with what you are eating. You say the raspberry muffins are made with almond flour so they are fine and you had low carb bread. A lot here have Bergen Linseed and Soya bread which is lower in carbs than the Hovis one so maybe you would like that.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are doing well considering you are only a couple of weeks in. Apart from the carrot and swede mash which may raise your BG swede on it's own would be better. To be honest I can't see anything else wrong with what you are eating. You say the raspberry muffins are made with almond flour so they are fine and you had low carb bread. A lot here have Bergen Linseed and Soya bread which is lower in carbs than the Hovis one so maybe you would like that.
Thank you for your reply. I could try the Bergen bread see how I go with it though I don't plan to eat bread very often.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Carbs are everywhere.

The best thing is to avoid pre made food.

Try going with Greek yogert and double cream for starters sweetened with chopped blueberries.

Cold meat and cheese for lunch, you can eat that till you pop. Polish garlic and pepper sausage is a fav of mine (. 1%carb).

Evening. You could have your sausages but have them with leeks and cabbage chopped and stir fried in butter. Would be even better with pork or beef. Maybe chopped chicken breast (lower fat though) .

If you want a TV snack. Beansprouts dusted with salt and pepper, maybe some chilli powder are awesome.

Then see what your numbers are.
Full fat greek yoghurt and berries is my go to treat, or dessert. Better to have mixed berries than all blueberries though, blueberries are actually quite high in carbs.
Good luck in sorting out your BG levels. Dont worry, after a while it becomes automatic.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat greek yoghurt and berries is my go to treat, or dessert. Better to have mixed berries than all blueberries though, blueberries are actually quite high in carbs.
Good luck in sorting out your BG levels. Dont worry, after a while it becomes automatic.
Thank you. I do opt for mixed berries due to blueberries been higher in carbs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to blush. The question was largely rhetorical i guess. There are a few enviable members who can maintain a strict keto/LC/crnivore etc regime but I am pretty sure the rest of us have degrees of feral eating. IMHO one has to be able to "stay the course" and celeriac and swede mash and the like are better compromises than the full carb versions. One or two puritan members - not you - need to be less dismissive of us JAMs.

If you think I am a puritan non-feral eater, you are mistaken. :) I have always eaten to my meter, so I include all sorts of not advisable foods in my diet. As time has progressed I can eat more carbs than I used to as long as I exercise sensible portion control, and without any ill effects that I know of. As long as I continue to maintain my weight and see normal readings on my meter and on the Libre (part time user) I am content to carry on eating a few potatoes including chips and the odd pack of crisps, my Burgen bread at no more than one slice a day, peas, an occasional spoonful of baked beans, and yes ... carrots but not mashed up ones ;) However, I am much further along my journey than many on here, and seem to have shed most of my insulin resistance. Most newcomers are not in this position.