Type 1 Countdown timer dilemma. New pen and nothing available for Sanofi Allstar - help!

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
My GP will only issue me with a Sanofi Allstar reusable pen after my Solostar finally gave up the ghost. I relied upon my insulcheck timer as I lead a pretty hectic life and as someone with anxiety it calms me to know I can ensure my background has been taken. I am in a tizzy now as apparently there are no timers available for this pen and GP pretty much saying “like it or lump it, it’s the only pen we offer”. I don’t use the disposables as I feel it’s harmful to the environment by just dumping these once they are empty?

Anyone having same issue? Anyone got any ideas for an again anxious Type 1?

K

Knikki

There Is an accessory you can get seperatly that fits over the end of your pen and will give you times.

https://www.insulcheck.com/

I don't use them but the link above may help. Plus I think some others use similar things.

Good luck

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The allStar pro replaced the ClikStar a while back for lantus..
As routine I tend to log my BG & dosage when administering my lantus. As I do with my bolus & corrections too.
Though, to be fair "something" could throw that routine out causing uncertainty..?

Have you considered placing a coloured band symbolising a day of the week over the pen's body as a reminder for the morning after the night before?

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
There Is an accessory you can get seperatly that fits over the end of your pen and will give you times.

https://www.insulcheck.com/

I don't use them but the link above may help. Plus I think some others use similar things.

Good luck

That’s what I used to use but sadly ye don’t do them for the pen I have :( thanks for your reply tho

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
Hi,

The allStar pro replaced the ClikStar a while back for lantus..
As routine I tend to log my BG & dosage when administering my lantus. As I do with my bolus & corrections too.
Though, to be fair "something" could throw that routine out causing uncertainty..?

Have you considered placing a coloured band symbolising a day of the week over the pen's body as a reminder for the morning after the night before?

I struggle to get peace to log anything to be honest and my head is usually in a guddle and my memory is not the best :( I’ll just keep my fingers crossed they develop one for my pen I think. I’m googling and looking for ideas this weekend as it’s too cold to go out! ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s what I used to use but sadly ye don’t do them for the pen I have :( thanks for your reply tho

Have you contacted the manufacturer? They might have some hanging around, or have a suggestion for an alternative.

For post-prandial blood testing, I use a 2 hour alarm on my phone, although not using insulin, I mightn't realise what a stupid suggestion that was. :)

Reactions: fittaedae

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I struggle to get peace to log anything to be honest and my head is usually in a guddle and my memory is not the best :( I’ll just keep my fingers crossed they develop one for my pen I think. I’m googling and looking for ideas this weekend as it’s too cold to go out! ;)

Yep, i've had a quick scout on your behalf. the "timesulin" (along with the other one.) looks to be adapted for the Novopen.
I'm not sure which timer you currently use? But i am more than familiar with Clikstar & its younger brother Solo.
I'm just wondering if you could keep your old pen with the timer along side the Solostar currently used as a visual reminder triggered when you dose your basal.?

At least you would have peace of mind with something familiar till a timer device is found for Solo?

(Just read back what i wrote & it looks like a plotline for Star Wars.):)

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
Have you contacted the manufacturer? They might have some hanging around, or have a suggestion for an alternative.

For post-prandial blood testing, I use a 2 hour alarm on my phone, although not using insulin, I mightn't realise what a stupid suggestion that was. :)
I’m going to email InsulCheck (who’s timer I was using) and see what they have

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
Yep, i've had a quick scout on your behalf. the "timesulin" (along with the other one.) looks to be adapted for the Novopen.
I'm not sure which timer you currently use? But i am more than familiar with Clikstar & its younger brother Solo.
I'm just wondering if you could keep your old pen with the timer along side the Solostar currently used as a visual reminder triggered when you dose your basal.?

At least you would have peace of mind with something familiar till a timer device is found for Solo?

(Just read back what i wrote & it looks like a plotline for Star Wars.):)

I’ll dig out the timer but the pen literally fell to bits I’ll have a look at it and see if it can manually be triggered to countdown as it only registered when the dose was administered, it it’s definately a good shout, thank you!

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
For your info! I have been recommended a free app IOS not sure if there is a android called “Round” it logs and reminds you of medications and gives you reminders if you have not logged. It’s working well for me... as long as my phone still has charge!

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m going to email InsulCheck (who’s timer I was using) and see what they have
I’d be interested to know what you find out as I first enquired about 18 months ago to no avail. It would be so useful to have as I find my Echo pen for my Novorapid so useful. Can’t find anything similar for my Lantus, neither can my diabetes nurse at my GPS.