Type 2 No pasta, rice or potato? what instead?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Please note that I AM low carb despite the fact that those d*mn rolls made me 'surf the waves of uncertainty and tedious stress and tread water at the same time' and helped, and it is not making me feel as absolutely wonderful and top of the world as others.
It's very easy to fall into the trap of expressing rapture and on top of the world on various SoMe, even if that's not really how you feel, but most people want to be winners. I think that's why you see so many optimistic posts, but that's good too, because optimism is contagious. You're just being honest, and I appreciate that. It's refreshing.

Anyway, here's my idea for a cold packed lunch. One or two lettuce leaves. Butter them with natural cream cheese, add whichever cold meat you like and roll up the whole thing. Yesterday I had one with a couple of slices of very thinly sliced Italian ham and a couple of sliced radishes. I hope the idea is useful :)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I was just below the value but as high risk been advised to change diet. So yes pre-diabetic. I gather one can be 'high risk' for many years.

Changing diet lessens the risk as I see it. I hate sandwiches so that's ok but struggling with giving up potato, pasta, rice as I have always enjoyed them. Seems best to give them up altogether. I got some cauliflower rice in my Tesco delivery but 200g for £2. I spent some time yesterday going through the suggested links.
Has anyone mentioned exercise? Its not only about diet, more activity can help with blood glucose levels as well.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Better to invest in a whole cauliflower and either grate it or use a food processor to make your own.. far and away cheaper and fresher too.
how long do you cook it? guess
Speed of lowering Blood Sugar, reduction of possible damage and ceasing to trigger food addictions?
Those would be the main benefits for me.. (plus it saves a fortune in test strips!).
There are so many threads on people trying to find different bread types whereas its so much easier to just give up bread completely.
But that's just my way of looking at things which I will freely admit is not the way most people seem to view the world...
Thank you, have been thinking I am the only person who doesn't test...

Reactions: Sue192

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very easy to fall into the trap of expressing rapture and on top of the world on various SoMe, even if that's not really how you feel, but most people want to be winners. I think that's why you see so many optimistic posts, but that's good too, because optimism is contagious. You're just being honest, and I appreciate that. It's refreshing.

Anyway, here's my idea for a cold packed lunch. One or two lettuce leaves. Butter them with natural cream cheese, add whichever cold meat you like and roll up the whole thing. Yesterday I had one with a couple of slices of very thinly sliced Italian ham and a couple of sliced radishes. I hope the idea is useful :)
@briped - that sounds really yummy! Thank you for replying positively to my previous post. I was being honest, and am honestly so pleased when people report how LCHF has turned their life around and they feel so much better - it is truly wonderful. Perhaps I should apologise for my previous posts, but I have felt rotten for some time on LCHF and was beginning to feel that I was the only one and wondering what I was doing wrong, as there seemed an air of disapproval if you couldn't keep to LC, or maybe I'm paranoid!:wideyed: However, a quick self-slap in the face with a wet haddock moment yesterday has led to a bone broth bubbling away and an explore of upping the carbs in a healthy way by, say, more Mediterranean eating. Thank you again :)

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how long do you cook it? guess

Thank you, have been thinking I am the only person who doesn't test...
Oh I test regularly.. its more that because I rarely vary my diet much I don't need to test new foods often..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@briped - that sounds really yummy! Thank you for replying positively to my previous post. I was being honest, and am honestly so pleased when people report how LCHF has turned their life around and they feel so much better - it is truly wonderful. Perhaps I should apologise for my previous posts, but I have felt rotten for some time on LCHF and was beginning to feel that I was the only one and wondering what I was doing wrong, as there seemed an air of disapproval if you couldn't keep to LC, or maybe I'm paranoid!:wideyed: However, a quick self-slap in the face with a wet haddock moment yesterday has led to a bone broth bubbling away and an explore of upping the carbs in a healthy way by, say, more Mediterranean eating. Thank you again :)
Have you checked your salt intake? As we move away from processed foods then our salt intake can drop quite dramatically leading to all sorts of nasties... I add it too all my food and even to my coffees to make sure I get enough. Just a thought. Don't forget to salt the broth too!

skinnyboy

I am high risk Type 2 at present and trying to work out a low cal diet. I am slim and have always tried to eat healthy foods. In trying to work out suitable pack lunch as well I am getting a bit lost.

If one shouldn't have potato, rice or pasta what on earth do you eat instead?

Much appreciate any advice.
Hi there. My partner has type 2 and I pre cook Half n Half pasta and new potatoes with skin on and chill them in cold water and then into the fridge until ready to make a meal.I only use Basmati rice...The only place selling the H n H pasta is Waitrose.
The pre cooking changes the molecular structure and are recommended for type 2, also eating full fat dairy products slows the digestion and helps your body absorb the benefits of the food you are eating. It is suggested that using fat free or LIGHT products means that the production used in these removes many beneficial ingredients and there is little or no vital nutrition for your condition management. So you can eat your favourite foods but cooked in a different way, sadly Spaghetti pre cooked tends to break up easily, use Penne or spiral instead. For treats there's a Montezuma Black Chocolate 100% cocoa sugar free thats well worth a try. Another diabetes site is the Australian one and I find it very informative. Let me know how you get on.

M

Member496333

Montezuma’s 100% Black is chocolate for the gods.

Super tasty and absolutely crammed with minerals.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. My partner has type 2 and I pre cook Half n Half pasta and new potatoes with skin on and chill them in cold water and then into the fridge until ready to make a meal.I only use Basmati rice...The only place selling the H n H pasta is Waitrose.
The pre cooking changes the molecular structure and are recommended for type 2, also eating full fat dairy products slows the digestion and helps your body absorb the benefits of the food you are eating. It is suggested that using fat free or LIGHT products means that the production used in these removes many beneficial ingredients and there is little or no vital nutrition for your condition management. So you can eat your favourite foods but cooked in a different way, sadly Spaghetti pre cooked tends to break up easily, use Penne or spiral instead. For treats there's a Montezuma Black Chocolate 100% cocoa sugar free thats well worth a try. Another diabetes site is the Australian one and I find it very informative. Let me know how you get on.

There are quite a few threads about the benefits (or not) of resistant starch but it may be far better for your partner to cut out that kind of food type entirely and eat green veg, meat, fish, eggs and dairy instead. Are they measuring their blood sugars to see the impacts of these meals on the levels? it may well be worth doing.

As it's also your first post I'll tag in @daisy1 for the intro to dietary control of T2. And say hello and welcome.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The pre cooking changes the molecular structure and are recommended for type 2, also eating full fat dairy products slows the digestion and helps your body absorb the benefits of the food you are eating. Let me know how you get on.
My metabolism and/or digestion did not get the memo about 'resistive starch' so when I experimented there was no difference in the reaction to eating half the starch freshly cooked and then the other half reheated.
I seem to have a very efficient digestion where carbs are concerned - legumes raise my blood glucose higher than they should for the reported amounts of carbs they contain, so I tend to avoid them.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked your salt intake? As we move away from processed foods then our salt intake can drop quite dramatically leading to all sorts of nasties... I add it too all my food and even to my coffees to make sure I get enough. Just a thought. Don't forget to salt the broth too!
Thanks @bulkbiker re the salt. Just tried the broth after it's been seething in the cauldron for 36 hrs (like drinking liquid fat but strangely tasty) and it needs more salt, deffo! I didn't think my salt intake was too bad (pork scratchings feature heavily...) but that's a good point.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Montezuma’s 100% Black is chocolate for the gods.

Super tasty and absolutely crammed with minerals.
Hotel Chocolat's 100% cocoa chocolate drops are also fabulous. They work out cheaper than Montezuma, especially as they often have a discount going. If you sign up for a card they also give you an extra 15% off. I do buy Montezuma's for the variety (when it's on offer) but the drops are easier to portion out into a daily ration.

Reactions: Member496333

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Perhaps I should apologise for my previous posts, but I have felt rotten for some time on LCHF and was beginning to feel that I was the only one and wondering what I was doing wrong, as there seemed an air of disapproval if you couldn't keep to LC, or maybe I'm paranoid!:wideyed:
And while you're at it you might as well apologise for being human too, in my point of view :) I don't feel like a huge success either. I lost 4.5 pounds in the last 3 (THREE) months. Started logging carefully the day before yesterday to make sure I got everything right - and gained 1 pound by today, and that's sticking to less than 20 g of carbs/1350 cals per day.
Are you logging your daily intake? It's really an eye opener for me.

Edited to ask, have you considered eating that haddock instead of slapping yourself with it? That really must've been a kodac moment :hilarious:

Reactions: Guzzler

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
you could try coleslaw with cheese or tuna and salad.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make cauiflower rice in the blender, spiralize courgettes if I feel the need for the texture (I often don't and just have extra meat and veggies) :)