How Many Carbs do You Limit Yourself to Per Day?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I don't usually do a per day count but rather per meal. I avoid spikes this way. Bear in mind that we are all different with different tolerance levels. Not all carbs are equal either. Personally, I try to restrict each meal to under 20g. If it is mostly low GI carbs and it has been verified with my meter I will allow 30g. Generally, most meals are well below this as this is the maximum. Birthdays and Xmas I push it a little bit.

You will note that this is high for some members but lower than others. It is highly personal. The important thing is exhaustive testing of responses with your meter so that you know exactly how certain foods react. I find other complications as well. For instance, if my meal is high in fat content the rise in BG is smaller but lasts longer.

I also find that different people respond differently to identical foods. I can happily have 40g of porridge for breakfast a couple of mornings a week ( must be traditional rolled oats, not that instant muck ). That's 24g of carbs and about 6g for the milk. No problem for me but one of my good mates has his BG into outer space with the same thing. Conversely, he can eat a bunch of grapes with impunity. Grapes sends my BG off the planet. Guess to best rule is "Eat to your meter". If you don't have one, get one.

Have fun,
Glenn
And do not eat the meter !!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't count carbs usually. I have done periods when I do count, and it generally seems to be between 100 -150gms a day, probably averaging 120gms.
I'm abroad at the moment and eating probably less than 30gms most days - and get fbgs in the 5s.
But when I eat high carb some days (yesterday including chips, peas and beer) my fbgs go back to my home figures in the 6s.
When I get home I think I will try harder to lower my carb intake.

Reactions: Daphne917

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Listlad. Remember to look at the avatar as well as the number of carbs, people in type1 or type2 tend towards lower numbers of carbs than the prediabetics.

Reactions: Listlad

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And there are some like me who are diagnosed as T2 but maintain low prediabetic levels long term through low carbing.

I usually eat max 50g carbs a day but it could be under 20g depending on what I eat or how often. This seems to be what my body - and glucose levels - are happy with. I don't actually count now, just check new foods... and I reduced my initial HbA1c from 61-62 on diagnosis to 47 at my next review a couple of months later without counting/measuring anything and before I found our forum and discovered I really ought to use a meter - I just cut out all the obvious high sugar foods to start with and then all high carb stuff when I realised that it wasn't simply sugar that was the issue. I found it easier to impose a blanket ban then eventually did some fine tuning after I got my meter, and I'd always eaten full/normal fats all my life, so only had to make a few small adjustments to the amount I needed to replace the carbs.

Robbity

And PS I'm another who doesn't count this as limiting, it's my preferred diet rather than a self imposed restriction...:D

Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And there are some like me who are diagnosed as T2 but maintain low prediabetic levels long term through low carbing.

I usually eat max 50g carbs a day but it could be under 20g depending on what I eat or how often. This seems to be what my body - and glucose levels - are happy with. I don't actually count now, just check new foods... and I reduced my initial HbA1c from 61-62 on diagnosis to 47 at my next review a couple of months later without counting/measuring anything and before I found our forum and discovered I really ought to use a meter - I just cut out all the obvious high sugar foods to start with and then all high carb stuff when I realised that it wasn't simply sugar that was the issue. I found it easier to impose a blanket ban then eventually did some fine tuning after I got my meter, and I'd always eaten full/normal fats all my life, so only had to make a few small adjustments to the amount I needed to replace the carbs.

Robbity

And PS I'm another who doesn't count this as limiting, it's my preferred diet rather than a self imposed restriction...:D
Nice post @Robbity

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
In the region of 250g.....I just lurve carbs :angelic:

Reactions: becca59

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
That sounds like quite a few compared to many...
I noticed that the vast majority of responses are from type 2's, mostly are on a very low carb diet to keep their BGs in check.
60 for breakfast, around 130 for dinner and around 60 for tea. PLUS lots of insulin and finger pricking :)

Reactions: Prem51

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Huge almost instantaneously improvement much appreciated by my hubs. I used to put my teenage boys to shame. :oops: I always said I couldn’t help it and now I can blame a medical condition for past sins

i blame my dogs.... :angelic:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Some days/weeks I'll have a 'just meat' day and occasionally I'll enjoy a roast dinner with a Yorkshire pud but, on the whole I stay between 10g and 25g (when i can be bothered to count).

I recently found that going too low (virtually zero) for a 'just meat' week gave me physiological insulin resistance - raised BGs and no keytones - which was something that hasn't happened before so i did some research and reintroduced some carbs and it went away.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
That sounds like quite a few compared to many...
Porl being a T1 can adjust his insulin dosage. Us T2s have diet as the primary weapon. It would avoid a lot of confusion if the two conditions were given separate names rather than grouped simply as 'diabetic'. Sometimes, the only giveaway is the tiny writing under the avatar.

Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad
D

Deleted member 308541

It would avoid a lot of confusion if the two conditions were given separate names rather than grouped simply as 'diabetic'. Sometimes, the only giveaway is the tiny writing under the avatar.
It would be a lot easier if new and old members filled their profiles in properly, then the guessing games will stop.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nonetheless it is useful to me to see an overall spread of stats. It gives me a good feel for the ranges and approaches applied.

Last edited:

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
It would be a lot easier if new and old members filled their profiles in properly, then the guessing games will stop.
Agree with this but also have to be mindful that many new members fill in their details when first registering on this site. Often this will be before the realisation that there is more than one form of this condition. More so that the medical professionals don't appear to explain things well enough in many cases.