What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. Will just have to,see how it goes. Is there a website perhaps that gives recipe/meal ideas?

I'm still cooking for Mr B. Well, I cook the interesting meaty bits. He has taken over all the stinky nasty veg bits. Bless him.
So I basically just cook a normal meat portion, then serve that and some extra fat to myself, while he has the meat and the green stuff.
So most of my recipes are roughly the same as they used to be.
Although I do use less of the onion and veg twiddles* that I used to, in stews, and suchlike.
And I tend to leave the meat in bigger chunks so that it is easier for me to lift out of the gloop and eat in its solo glory.

*avoiding veg is the reason I am carni, ever since a tummy bug changed me from a veg enthusiast to an in-pain-with-horrible-gut-explosions person when I eat veg.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still cooking for Mr B. Well, I cook the interesting meaty bits. He has taken over all the stinky nasty veg bits. Bless him.
So I basically just cook a normal meat portion, then serve that and some extra fat to myself, while he has the meat and the green stuff.
So most of my recipes are roughly the same as they used to be.
Although I do use less of the onion and veg twiddles* that I used to, in stews, and suchlike.
And I tend to leave the meat in bigger chunks so that it is easier for me to lift out of the gloop and eat in its solo glory.

*avoiding veg is the reason I am carni, ever since a tummy bug changed me from a veg enthusiast to an in-pain-with-horrible-gut-explosions person when I eat veg.
Thank you. I am running with this with my OH at present. Me just because and her for elimination.

Reactions: Brunneria

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After someone mentioned the environmental cost of almonds have now moved on to brazils and pecans, both have a higher fat content than almonds. Dont think there is a huge difference in cost either.
Pecans are great too. Not so keen on the taste of Brazil nuts for some reason.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I also love the sound of your lunch. I might just have that tomorrow myself! I think Waitrose also sell pomegranate molasses in their ingredients range.
@Emma_369 Warrior woman! You are made of strong stuff! I even struggled with 5:2!
@shelley262 Your restraint with the Yule log astounds me! Hats off to you!

Do you mean real Greek from goat's milk, or Greek styleeee strained yoghurt?

If it's the latter you can make it. I made some a couple of months ago, using the chamber of my dehydrator. I didn't even have to strin it. Lots of folks also make it in their Instant Pots, but it ties that up for too long for me.

Reactions: zauberflote

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you mean real Greek from goat's milk, or Greek styleeee strained yoghurt?

If it's the latter you can make it. I made some a couple of months ago, using the chamber of my dehydrator. I didn't even have to strin it. Lots of folks also make it in their Instant Pots, but it ties that up for too long for me.
Ideally, the real stuff, but I should have a go at making my own. I have an electric yoghurt maker......somewhere! :joyful:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BibaBee I’m so sorry about your migraine. I’ve only had three or four, but now I have a related thing called vestibular migraine. It’s a processing error that gives me the illusion that things are moving when they’re not, (or that it’s me moving when really the other thing is moving), and can go in toxicity all the way up to “hard spinning” while driving, I’ve heard. My more or less chronic symptoms have worsened with LC, so the dropping of some food or addition of some food has taken me over my tolerance level. My advice to myself is, move to somewhere that the barometric pressure never changes! Wanna come along?
@SlimLizzy I had some to me terrifying BG rises after hard sweaty exercise last summer, even though I was well hydrated. I haven’t had sweaty exercise since then, mainly because it’s cold out so I don’t drip at all even though I may be going subjectively just as hard. You are up to 70! skips in just what, two weeks? Verrry impressive!
@PenguinMum I freeze skyr all the time. It’s like cheese or milk - a whole different texture when you thaw it, and no amount of whisking gets it back. No flavor difference, and things cook fine. Hope your crud departs very soon!!
I hope to use my bday IP to make my own yogurt finally again. Then strain it. Or hey, try making it with cream and see where that gets me.
Yesterday very interesting. Thought I’d try not eating lunch until I was actually hungry for it. I decided that AS I was finishing a second mug of creamy decaf, so there was a cheat there. Ended up powering through to supper! But my back hurt so much (I get that when hungry) that the only way I made it to 6:00 was by sitting down working from 4:30 on. So yesterday was a 2MAD! Yay me! BG way down in normal realm by 6:00, and semi-stayed down-ish. Wanted to try it today but if I take Mom for lunch, she won’t eat if I don’t. Maybe tomorrow?
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, decaf/soy/cream. Off to get Mom ready for 1:00 opera-at-the-movies Met Opera “Live in HD” series. Half hour drive to theater, sat in car on this gorgeous spring wannabe day to eat
Celery, toms, cuke, lc tortilla with swiss cherse previously melted on it. Saw Carmen.
Apparently spending that much time with Mom is draining! I dropped her off at 5:40, went next door to the hot bar at organic foods store and had lemon basil curry chicken. Out. Of. This. World! The chicken appeared to have been pounded, sauce was curry flavors, lemon juice, basil, lemon slice mush, yogurt, and heavy cream. Meltingly tender. That turned out to be the appetizer! Came home (eating hot sloppy chicken with fingers while driving), fed cats, put olive oil on sardines left over from Monday, and then needed [sic!!] cheese. It was definitely comfort/stress eating, and I was “eating around” all the veggies I really wanted. Ah well.
New bedtime snack is Creamy Cinnamon Toast chia pudding. Made with cinnamonnnnnn, soy milk, and cream, and served with a little butter. I don’t sweeten it just as I don’t sweeten anything right now - I am sure that I’d have just as little control over non-carb sweeteners as over sugar. And protein, apparently.

Zauberflot Skyr is cheese. It's Quark.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My email received this rather interesting alcoholic low carb recipe this morning. I can see this working with a mix of gin and campari too which would give a nice bitter taste (but very alcoholic).

https://betterthanbreadketo.com/low-carb-cranberry-vodka-spritzer/?utm_source=OneSignal

For some reason that reminds me of something that used to be a favourite - I wonder if it would work with sweetener? Anyone made anything similar??

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/rhubarb-and-gin-sorbet.html

Reactions: dunelm and maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today.... another experiment - sounds strange but I don't enjoy breakfast and only have it to stop my DP which, without breakfast, keeps on rising until until I eat something, so

Breakfast: Decaff coffee with double cream. :***: (I have had this before and didn't enjoy it - it seems my taste hasn't changed)

Lunch: same as yesterday, defrosted blackberries, Turkish yoghurt, almond butter and flaked almonds

Dinner: lamb shank and broccoli

Drinks: Another decaff coffee with double cream for 'elevenses' and lots of still spring water for the rest of the day

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Dont overdo the brazil nuts ,they contain a lot of Selenium. Limit is about two per day to avoid Selenium poisoning
Oh-oh Have already eaten more than a weeks worth. Will be checking this out. Surely if they were that dangerous would come with a health warning? or wrapped singly?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Pecans are great too. Not so keen on the taste of Brazil nuts for some reason.
From my limited research brazil nuts wont grow out of the rain forest. So vastly more environmentally friendly than any other nuts.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For some reason that reminds me of something that used to be a favourite - I wonder if it would work with sweetener? Anyone made anything similar??

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/rhubarb-and-gin-sorbet.html
No reason why not @Chook. I've got very attached to Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener in this past year. Their Golden Classic would work well and you just use inthe save quantities as sugar. You obviously have to watch what you use for the dogs - Jack in particular. I can just visualise him with a rhubarb gin sorbet.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No reason why not @Chook. I've got very attached to Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener in this past year. Their Golden Classic would work well and you just use inthe save quantities as sugar. You obviously have to watch what you use for the dogs - Jack in particular. I can just visualise him with a rhubarb gin sorbet.

So can I *shudder*

(Actually he has recently stopped stealing drinks since he took a great big slurp of Mr C's whisky at Christmas.)

Thanks for the suggestion. :). I've got a few special occasions coming up soon and it will be nice to have an old but special favourite.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm with you on that. I'm a walnut fan or almond when I eat nuts but mine have to be plain.

Pecans and Brazil nuts for me.

I recently bought a big bag of hazel nuts after reading about their health giving properties and now I can't remember what the health giving properties were. Probably something to do with memory. :confused: