Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
Hi everyone,

Has anyone got any updated information re the costs? I'm thinking of swopping from Libre to Dexcom as need alarms. I know about Miao Miao but not purchased is this a better option combined with Libre compared to the Dexcom G6?

Thanks

Reactions: Juicyj

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
We pay around the £52 mark for a G6 sensor that lasts us around 20 days each time. Transmitter is the big cost after that and lasts 3-3.5 months but can be extended I believe using non dexcom technology.

The alarms are very good but be prepared for more sleepless nights unless you have very good control. Might be worth doing the trial package if they are still offering it (3 sensors +transmitter for around the £160 mark).

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
HI @Lordy100 You can set up a monthly Dexcom account for purchasing the G6, it's £159 a month and ensures you have both sensors and transmitters when you need them, it lasts 12 months, I did a single month trial then set this up as I was so pleased with it, I tend to turn the alarm off as would lose 1-2 night's sleep a week otherwise, but if you're concerned with going low over night then keep this on, it's been pretty accurate on the whole, have had a few blips with things like exercising in freezing temperatures when it's lost signal or reporting false readings so always keep your BG meter as back up. At the end of each week you also can access a report which tells you time in range. You can also access reports to see patterns, so it is useful if you want to drill down on control and feel more empowered about adjusting your ratios.

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
HI @Lordy100 You can set up a monthly Dexcom account for purchasing the G6, it's £159 a month and ensures you have both sensors and transmitters when you need them, it lasts 12 months, I did a single month trial then set this up as I was so pleased with it, I tend to turn the alarm off as would lose 1-2 night's sleep a week otherwise, but if you're concerned with going low over night then keep this on, it's been pretty accurate on the whole, have had a few blips with things like exercising in freezing temperatures when it's lost signal or reporting false readings so always keep your BG meter as back up. At the end of each week you also can access a report which tells you time in range. You can also access reports to see patterns, so it is useful if you want to drill down on control and feel more empowered about adjusting your ratios.
Thank you for the reply. Do you find it better than the Libre/Miao Miao set up?

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
We pay around the £52 mark for a G6 sensor that lasts us around 20 days each time. Transmitter is the big cost after that and lasts 3-3.5 months but can be extended I believe using non dexcom technology.

The alarms are very good but be prepared for more sleepless nights unless you have very good control. Might be worth doing the trial package if they are still offering it (3 sensors +transmitter for around the £160 mark).

Do you need the transmitter? Can you download an app to your phone and just use that? I understand you get a transmitter but wondered if when it runs out if you can just use a phone app? Thanks for your reply

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you need the transmitter? Can you download an app to your phone and just use that? I understand you get a transmitter but wondered if when it runs out if you can just use a phone app? Thanks for your reply

You need the transmitter. The transmitter attaches to your sensor and the app receives the info from the transmitter. We have found it very accurate.