Stalled weight loss

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi folks. I'd like to run a couple of things past you regarding my LCHF eating.

Since I've committed to LCHF my weight loss has come to a standstill. I have actually gained a couple of pounds. I'm pretty sure this can only be because I'm consuming too many calories. I don't think it could be due to getting too many carbs as I have very few. To rectify this I'm will try to log my macros better with My Fitness Pal. Is this likely to be the reason or could there be something else I'm getting wrong?

Also could anyone explain this to me. I was reading an article about alcohol and keto. Apparently whiskey has 0 carbs yet around 100kcal per shot. If there's no carbs, and I'm pretty sure there will be no protein or fat, where do the calories come from?

Thanks

Alan

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hey @Alineden good (morning here)! I had a somewhat similar situation. I rapidly lost a nice amount, and several weeks ago it stalled. I got some useful answers when I asked your same question. I’ll be watching here with interest. I’d wondered if my body had reached a “set point” known only to it, but haven’t had time to pursue any avenues.
Alcohol I know squat about, sorry!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
And they are empty calories at that.

Yes, empty calories. I found returning to my old habit of a glass of red wine a day helped me maintain my weight rather than continuing to lose it when I didn't need to. (along with other things such as more cheese). Alcohol is calorific and doesn't help at all if you have a large spare tyre round the middle. Hence the expression beer belly.

Reactions: Guzzler

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
My weight loss has stalled. Well, that might be over-doing it but its certainly slowed quite considerably.

Perhaps I am reaching my "optimum weight" because I am certainly not eating much and am trying to get moderate exercise everyday ..and I don't drink alcohol.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My weight loss has stalled. Well, that might be over-doing it but its certainly slowed quite considerably.

Perhaps I am reaching my "optimum weight" because I am certainly not eating much and am trying to get moderate exercise everyday ..and I don't drink alcohol.

What you have just described is the 'eat less, move more' maxim. We are not calibrated machinery, our bodys do not always respect our wishes. Eat to satiety and get your fuel for your excercises from the body's preferred source. And give it some time, you'll get there!

Reactions: Patrick66

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
And they are empty calories at that.
Did you notice though that whiskey and other strong spirits aren't mentioned. I still can't see where the calories in whiskey come from if there arent any carbs in it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you notice though that whiskey and other strong spirits aren't mentioned. I still can't see where the calories in whiskey come from if there arent any carbs in it.
I was going by this bit:

“Weight gain
Wine, beer, cider, spirits and all our favourite drinks are made from natural starch and sugar. Fermentation, and distillation for certain drinks, is used to produce the alcohol content.
This helps explain why alcohol contains lots of calories – 7 calories a gram in fact, almost as many as a gram of fat. And, of course, additional calories can be present in added mixer drinks.”

That implies to me that just the alcohol contains calories, 7 per gram. But I’m teetotal, what do I know! ;)

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started LCHF I didn't lose a single pound for the first two months. My health was improving significantly but I wasn't losing any weight. I even started swimming 3X/week when I'd previously been sedentary. Perhaps I was gaining muscle but a 5'3" woman should not be weighing 194 pounds.

Then suddenly I lost 10 pounds. Then nothing for six weeks. I'm now down 34 pounds but have plateaued again for the past month.

I don't know how much more weight you have yet to lose but I'm being told that I shouldn't expect drastic losses anymore since I'm closer to my ideal weight.

Also, here's a great explanation on the "whoosh" effect of weight loss.

http://www.lowcarbkitchen.us/the-wh...and-losing-weight-dont-happen-simultaneously/