Hello from a Type oner!

anna79

Hi there, new to the forum but not diabetes; have had type 1 since being diagnosed about 12 years ago now. I'm a busy lady, working as a college teacher and studying on a full time photography course, and find diabetes a complete pain in the behind most days! I'm on MDI of Lantus and Novorapid insulin and have been having a go at the carb counting thing this year, with mixed results really. I'd say I was a B+ diabetic, as I do my best with the time and resources I've got, but definitely don't let it control everything I do and there's definitely room for improvement, especially as my husband and I would like to start a family in the next couple of years. At the moment I'm thinking about possibly changing to a pump, but hate the thought of being constantly attached to a machine, and can't see how it would work with clothing without pockets, belt or a waistband! Anyway, nice to be here and share ideas, opinions and worries with those in the know!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello and welcome Anna :)

Carb counting is quite difficult and with all the other calculations it can all make your head spin can’t it?! There is always someone around to help so do ask for help when you need to.

I expect you are better than a B+ and it is probably an occupational hazard/habit to say that you could do better or must try harder!! :lol:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Anna
Concerns for wearing a pump..
From my view as well, I could not and still cannot wear my pump anywhere around my waist, and not in bra either...I was fortunate that I was given a Combo pump with a full working remote control that allows full communication between pump and remote...so I wear mine on my arm. It never comes off unless I need to go in water (swimming or bath) or when I do a cartridge change every 6 days. There aren't any holders to keep pumps on arms, so I have my home made holder that works brilliantly for me. Yes, if I wear vest tshirts people can see it, but only had one comment on it. Apart form that under blouses and jumpers it isn't noticeable at all and I really do not know it is there. Yes, I have longer tubing than others but I have neveer caught it in anything because it is always under my clothes and I can easily remove trousers, knix for going to toilet without worrying wear the pump is. I wear it day and night in this place.
There are ways around everything.
Pumps are a different way to managing diabetes, but having had diabetes for 26 years, and a pump less than a year, I really wish this technology had been available when I was first diagnosed. I always carb counted and always had highs in the mornings etc etc...the pump sorted this out, but it does take getting used to. My DSN and rep said it takes 6-8 months to get used to the ins and outs of it...but personally I think it is worth it, just for the fact that I don't get the highs in the mornings when I used to get up, and no more night hypo's either....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Anna! :)

Nigel

MuddledMaxine

Dislikes
Feeling stressed about diabetes
anna79 said:
my husband and I would like to start a family

We wanted that, but the diabetic nurse at my surgery told me that I "must not" get pregnant whilst diabetic, and she "made" me book an appointment with my GP to "discuss contraception" .... since I am clearly not old enough to know what/how contraception is.

My GP then did say it was better if I didn't get pregnant until it got under control....despite my/our age being very much against me/us....

The hospital then told me I was too old, and we couldn't get any help, so that was the end of one of life's dreams :( :(

picard

Hi, type 1 just joined, tried to find out price of pumps, got some input, but what would be average price :?: Many thanks.