Prediabetic and possible underactive thyroid

Milesy18

Hi all, was told few weeks ago am pre D. Hba1c was 43. I had a baby 6 months ago and weight has piled on me around 2 months post baby. I've been so fatigued, have night sweats, hot flushes, aching joints, terrible memory, numbness in toes, wake up and starving, shaking feeling lots of things. My TSH was at 6.8 so can't retest for another 2 weeks. I feel so urghhh. My Dr thinks I've got a metabolic disorder. Can I ask anyone else have these symptoms and how do you cope with them. Many thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a long time dependent on Thyroxine - 175micrograms a day, but the surgery has not been keeping up with my tests since diagnosis of diabetes two years ago.
Fatigue just wasn't an adequate description of how I felt, but a gradual increasing dosage to reach normal levels did a fairly good job of restoring something like normality - I suspect that I need more help with that, but the NHS doesn't do T3 restoration, only T4, but it was a big improvement.
It is necessary to start at a low dose as otherwise there can be palpitations and other unwanted effects.

Reactions: Milesy18

Milesy18

I am a long time dependent on Thyroxine - 175micrograms a day, but the surgery has not been keeping up with my tests since diagnosis of diabetes two years ago.
Fatigue just wasn't an adequate description of how I felt, but a gradual increasing dosage to reach normal levels did a fairly good job of restoring something like normality - I suspect that I need more help with that, but the NHS doesn't do T3 restoration, only T4, but it was a big improvement.
It is necessary to start at a low dose as otherwise there can be palpitations and other unwanted effects.
Thanks for replying. I've asked the GP if I can have something but they need two test results to confirm. So I'm having to wait it out and suffering in the meantime. I've never felt so awful in my life. I know I've got a baby but i have 2 other children aged 18 and 21 and never been like this ever. I'm 39 by the way and usually of good health.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, welcome to the forum and congratulations with having a baby!
I don't know anything about thyroid problems (other members do and will probably be along to react to that part of your post) but I do know that @daisy1 's welcoming post is very informative for new (pre-)diabetics. She'll post it on this thread.
With your hba1c of 43 you're only just in the prediabetic range, so it might well be that a couple of small changes to your diet will get you back in non diabetic numbers :)
To get more understanding of what different foods do to your blood sugar, you could get a meter to test before and after meals to see if that particular meal helps getting your numbers down.
You could also skip the obvious sugary treats and see if that's enough to stay below prediabetic numbers, although I would ask for regular hba1c tests if you choose not to test at home, just to make sure your numbers aren't going up without you noticing.
Good luck!

Reactions: Fo

Banosuddle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am 57 years old and was diagnosed with hyperactive thyroidism in 2002, was treated with radioactive iodine twice and then became hypo so since then I am on 50mg of Levothyroxine. I was doing well but in 2012 diagnosed with high blood pressure and since then on BP medicines. In June 2017 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and my Hba1c was 48, weight was 92kg and TSH was 5.2. My GP put me on Metformine 500mg three times a day, After six months My Hba1c came down to 38 and weight 85kg.
In early 2018 I started reading articles on Type 2 diabetes and 4 months ago I darely took a step to put myself on low carb, good fat and good protein diet and moderate exercise every day and taking metformin once a day.
In January 2019 I had my blood tests done and Hba1c was 36, TSH was 1.6 and weight was 80 kg. My Gp asked me to stop metformin and keep taking low carb, healthy fat and protein diet and continue moderate exercise daily.
I have recently joined this Forum and find it very useful and informative.

Reactions: Prem51 and Milesy18

Milesy18

Hi, I am 57 years old and was diagnosed with hyperactive thyroidism in 2002, was treated with radioactive iodine twice and then became hypo so since then I am on 50mg of Levothyroxine. I was doing well but in 2012 diagnosed with high blood pressure and since then on BP medicines. In June 2017 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and my Hba1c was 48, weight was 92kg and TSH was 5.2. My GP put me on Metformine 500mg three times a day, After six months My Hba1c came down to 38 and weight 85kg.
In early 2018 I started reading articles on Type 2 diabetes and 4 months ago I darely took a step to put myself on low carb, good fat and good protein diet and moderate exercise every day and taking metformin once a day.
In January 2019 I had my blood tests done and Hba1c was 36, TSH was 1.6 and weight was 80 kg. My Gp asked me to stop metformin and keep taking low carb, healthy fat and protein diet and continue moderate exercise daily.
I have recently joined this Forum and find it very useful and informative.
Thankyou that's very interesting. I will look into that food group. I do try and eat plenty of veg etc. I even joined a gym but lost absolutely nothing in 5 weeks so gave up! Weight all held round my middle to. So frustrating. I know I need massive changes in my life now. I do wonder if thyroid and diabetes are linked but not sure. Thanks for replying

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Milesy18. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after feeling exhausted - it felt like I was wearing lead boots, and having a squeezing sensation in my chest which I thought was angina. Those symptoms have gone since I was put on 100 mg of levothyroxine daily. One good thing is that you will get free prescriptions if you are diagnosed as having a thyroid condition.
I became pre-diabetic a couple of years later, though I wasn't told that, and went on to become Type 2 diabetic 4 years later.
It seems thyroid conditions and diabetes are often related, though offhand I can't point to any medical evidence, I think I have seen articles about this.
But the hypothyroidism is easily treated with the synthetic thyroxine, and you can lower your blood glucose by changing what you eat, and avoid becoming fully diabetic.
Many on this forum have lowered their bgs by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (lchf) approach to eating. Have a read round the threads to see how this works and ask anything you want to.

Last edited:

Milesy18

Thankyou, I do get chest pains! Always makes me think its my heart or muscle cramp. I can't wait to get sorted out. Just want to feel normal hopefully I can keep a list of what spikes when I get my meter so try and cut it out

Reactions: Prem51

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Thankyou, I do get chest pains! Always makes me think its my heart or muscle cramp. I can't wait to get sorted out. Just want to feel normal hopefully I can keep a list of what spikes when I get my meter so try and cut it out
Hello
It took me a long time to get diagnosed with hypothyroidism approx 25 years ago. I kept going back to the doctor with the same symptoms; feeling very tired. I took several times to have the same blood test that I finally got diagnosed. It seems your test has to reach a certain figure before diagnosis, a bit like testing for diabetes. I have taken thyroxine ever since. Recently diagnosed as pre diabetic and have neuropathy. I think there is a connection. I have been tired all my life!
I have smoked all my life though, so of course this will be a contributory factor. Now reached a point where I don’t want to live anymore feeling so awful, I have packed in smoking. One week!
I would advise you to keep going back to your doctor, whilst you feel so tired. It is a horrible feeling.
My doctors always blamed depression, but it wasn’t always depression. When you feel so tired and it feels like no one gets it, that is enough to make you depressed . Good luck xx

Reactions: Prem51 and Milesy18

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since joining this forum I have been on a low carb diet. I have been testing my BG daily. It has helped me monitor my BG which has been steady. My results from doctor was 44. I used to feel so tired, I would have honey in my tea for an instant fix. I no longer do that. I do feel better. Not there completely, but it is all helping. X

Milesy18

Hello

Hello
It took me a long time to get diagnosed with hypothyroidism approx 25 years ago. I kept going back to the doctor with the same symptoms; feeling very tired. I took several times to have the same blood test that I finally got diagnosed. It seems your test has to reach a certain figure before diagnosis, a bit like testing for diabetes. I have taken thyroxine ever since. Recently diagnosed as pre diabetic and have neuropathy. I think there is a connection. I have been tired all my life!
I have smoked all my life though, so of course this will be a contributory factor. Now reached a point where I don’t want to live anymore feeling so awful, I have packed in smoking. One week!
I would advise you to keep going back to your doctor, whilst you feel so tired. It is a horrible feeling.
My doctors always blamed depression, but it wasn’t always depression. When you feel so tired and it feels like no one gets it, that is enough to make you depressed . Good luck xx
Aw bless you! Well done on the no smoking your doing great! I to have smoked and in the process of quitting. Waiting for my appointment. Its horrible feeling so low and tired

Milesy18

Since joining this forum I have been on a low carb diet. I have been testing my BG daily. It has helped me monitor my BG which has been steady. My results from doctor was 44. I used to feel so tired, I would have honey in my tea for an instant fix. I no longer do that. I do feel better. Not there completely, but it is all helping. X
Well done you. Its hard to make changes to your diet after eating the way you have for years

Reactions: Fo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Milesy18 - Hypothyroidism is extremely common, in those with diabetes, but also those who don't. It's just pretty common.

With a TSH of 6.8 on your last test, it seems pretty likely you may be diagnosed after the next one. Do be aware though that our thyroid hormones vary during the day; they have a bit of a vague circadian rythm, so it is important to have your tests done consistently.

The ideal time to have thyroid fucntion tested is first thing inthe morning, before you have eaten or drunk anything and were you taking any medication, at least 24 hours since your last dose.. That at least gives a consistent profile. Testing TSH at random times is a bit like stepping on the scales straightout of bed or doing the same thing, having just eaten a bit meal. The numers will vary.

If you are diagnosed, you should be monitored closesly - especially as you have a new baby and your post-baby hormones may be impacting things. If you are started on medication, it will be at a modest dose, the after testing again (and sometimes again and again) your doses will be tweaked up until your numbers look about right. Some people stay on medication a long time, and some find once their thyroids have a little help, or once their general hormone picture settles, their thyroid perks up again, so keep an open mind.

One thing I will say though is that the treatment of a wonky thyroid isn't like treating a headache. Sadly, it usually takes a while before feeling better, then it's a bit at a time. It's not like taking a headache tablet and it all going away.

I don't say that to make you despondent, but to manage any expectations you may have for following your next test.

A good diet will healp you overall, by nourishing your body and brain, without taxing it with troublesome loads.

See how you get along.

Reactions: Milesy18 and Prem51

Milesy18

@Milesy18 - Hypothyroidism is extremely common, in those with diabetes, but also those who don't. It's just pretty common.

With a TSH of 6.8 on your last test, it seems pretty likely you may be diagnosed after the next one. Do be aware though that our thyroid hormones vary during the day; they have a bit of a vague circadian rythm, so it is important to have your tests done consistently.

The ideal time to have thyroid fucntion tested is first thing inthe morning, before you have eaten or drunk anything and were you taking any medication, at least 24 hours since your last dose.. That at least gives a consistent profile. Testing TSH at random times is a bit like stepping on the scales straightout of bed or doing the same thing, having just eaten a bit meal. The numers will vary.

If you are diagnosed, you should be monitored closesly - especially as you have a new baby and your post-baby hormones may be impacting things. If you are started on medication, it will be at a modest dose, the after testing again (and sometimes again and again) your doses will be tweaked up until your numbers look about right. Some people stay on medication a long time, and some find once their thyroids have a little help, or once their general hormone picture settles, their thyroid perks up again, so keep an open mind.

One thing I will say though is that the treatment of a wonky thyroid isn't like treating a headache. Sadly, it usually takes a while before feeling better, then it's a bit at a time. It's not like taking a headache tablet and it all going away.

I don't say that to make you despondent, but to manage any expectations you may have for following your next test.

A good diet will healp you overall, by nourishing your body and brain, without taxing it with troublesome loads.

See how you get along.
Thankyou for your response, I have to have fasting for the next bloods as others being done to. I realise it can take a while to adjust to meds if needed. Diet is key concern for me right now. Just waiting on my Dr's appointment so I know what's what. Hopefully il have some answers. Having a baby has impacted on my body. At 39 I'm no spring chicken anymore. Even though when I'm at my best I think I am lol.