Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi my BS level seemed to be getting back in control until I've done the 8/16 fasting routine for a few days.
I've still lower carb ( around 70gm day) but my BS seems to be higher again.
What am I doing wrong ? Is this a normal thing that happens in the first few days ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of levels are you seeing? What meter and strips are you using?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
What kind of levels are you seeing? What meter and strips are you using?

They aren't terrible 7s 8s while fasting but it's higher than I want and drop back to 5s 6s usually when I eat .
I read somewhere that it's my liver ridding itself of glucose and it will settle down but that doesn't make sense to me . Think I need to do more reading .

Reactions: Ponchu

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
They aren't terrible 7s 8s while fasting but it's higher than I want and drop back to 5s 6s usually when I eat .
I read somewhere that it's my liver ridding itself of glucose and it will settle down but that doesn't make sense to me . Think I need to do more reading .
The problem is if I fast 16/8 the BS is staying raised for longer .
I like that I'm loosing a bit of weight but not at the expense of prolonged raised blood sugars.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have that problem, too, @Jamrox . Unless I take the fast to 24 hours, but even then it takes a few days before improvement in levels. Longest fast I did was 56 hours, with just water and coffee, and homemade bone broth. I know that sort of length of fast is not for everyone, but as I am retired and can, if necessary, lounge about at home all day which I doubt I could do if still had to go out to work.

I do find if I miss breakfast the morning high levels stay around until I do eat. Having a teaspoon of cream in coffee first thing in the morning helps.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I see the same thing - so I eat early and late, and that stops it.
My insulin resistance seems to be highest in the morning so I eat about 1/4 of my daily carbs at breakfast and the rest at dinner time.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I have that problem, too, @Jamrox . Unless I take the fast to 24 hours, but even then it takes a few days before improvement in levels. Longest fast I did was 56 hours, with just water and coffee, and homemade bone broth. I know that sort of length of fast is not for everyone, but as I am retired and can, if necessary, lounge about at home all day which I doubt I could do if still had to go out to work.

I do find if I miss breakfast the morning high levels stay around until I do eat. Having a teaspoon of cream in coffee first thing in the morning helps.

Thanks @Pipp I'll try that .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I see the same thing - so I eat early and late, and that stops it.
My insulin resistance seems to be highest in the morning so I eat about 1/4 of my daily carbs at breakfast and the rest at dinner time.

Do you miss lunch then ? It really is a balancing act . I thought I knew a lot ... Learning a lot more now.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat lunch, but I don't miss it at all.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing... . If I fast for 24 hours I go from evening meal to evening meal fasting with just the teaspoon of cream in coffee first thing, and plenty of water, peppermint tea during the day. Feel less deprived of food that way.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What does your BG levels do in a 36hr fast? (this should be long enough to empty the glycogen from the liver)

Also are you taking metformin?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Please explain to me the glycogen clearing out of the liver . Is that why I'm having higher BS levels when I fast .
I find the 8.30pm - 12.30 lunchtime is pretty easy if I have a coffee about 10am.
Ty

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

Ponchu

The problem is if I fast 16/8 the BS is staying raised for longer .
I like that I'm loosing a bit of weight but not at the expense of prolonged raised blood sugars.

Hashtag me too

During weight loss yet when my body adjusted BG went down.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit thanks. I think I need to map it out on a bit of paper to get it into my head .
Am I right in thinking that once the liver has used it's stored glucose the body then turns to muscledc etc for sources of glucose.
I think I need to get my old anatomy books out of the loft lol
If you can get into ketosis your body use energy from fat.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

Now it makes sense . So my BS was / is raised as my liver is releasing glycogen and when it is deleted then my body gets energy from elsewhere ... It was driving me mad not understanding it.