Use the FreeStyle Libre as a CGM alarm

ellendoher

Hello,

Is there any way that the FreeStyle Libre can be used as a CGM alarm to avoid nightime Hypos or highs.

The Libre is a great advance but it doesn't solve the problem of hypos when someone with Type 1 is asleep.

Has anyone ever tried keeping a dog as an alarm system?

Ellen

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

A dog? No but there are dogs that detect hypos, not sure about night times.

Well in April (rumours on release) Libre 2 is getting released which will have the ability to use blue tooth and work as an alarm.

Up until,then there is MiaoMiao or Bluecon both of which are blue tooth transmitters that connect to the Libre sensor and with either xDrip, Glimp on Android or Spike with IOS they will give you the ability to have alarms set to trigger for either hypos or hypers.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, MiaoMiao. There are many people with hypo dogs, but they're very expensive and it takes a long time to train them.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello,

Is there any way that the FreeStyle Libre can be used as a CGM alarm to avoid nightime Hypos or highs.

The Libre is a great advance but it doesn't solve the problem of hypos when someone with Type 1 is asleep.

Ellen
If you add one a MiaoMiao Bluetooth transmitter to your Libre, you’ll get full CGM on your phone, including the ability to read your levels and get alarms on a smartwatch. This code gets you a discount :)

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted Account

Do you often hypo at night?
If so, it would be a good idea to work out why this happens.
Libre ... or any CGM will not tell you why.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you often hypo at night?
If so, it would be a good idea to work out why this happens.
Libre ... or any CGM will not tell you why.
I certainly had too many hypos at night, and after each one the reasons were fairly obvious (too much insulin/not enough sugar, but in a way not amenable to sorting in advance without running high all the time). But the libre + alarm gives a safety net and has meant no more since I had it.

Reactions: Antje77

Rach85

My daughter has miaomiao and it has worked really well, especially through the night. I was guilty of over feeding before bed through worry of her dropping, but this is a safety net that alarms for whatever I want it set as. Gives peace of mind.

Reactions: Antje77

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been using blucon night rider for 12 months stacked onto libre..wouldnt be without them .... life changing and simple .

ellendoher

Hello everybody,
Thank you all for this good advice. I will pass this on to my son and hopefully he will use it.
He has his Libre connected to his phone which is really useful especially when he goes out.
Now this is the next stage which will give him better results in the long run.
Ellen

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Ellen

I don’t use this and probably won’t but there is a MiaoMiao available.

D

Deleted Account

@ellendoher one thing to bear in mind is that Libre version 2 is due out soon.
I have read that this is not current compatible with apps that use add ons such as Miaomiao.
This may change. However, for this reason, some are holding back from buying new add one until they know more about this new version.