Type 1 Heart attack

bazza1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have had T1 for 41 years and had a severe heart attack last weekend. I have noticed that my blood test results rise as the day goes on despite me managing the high with extra insulin. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this. I don’t know if it’s due to additional pills for my heart or the body is still fitting the stress of the heart attack and stents. I am on 4 injections a day 3 doses of Humalog and one of Lantus. Thanks Barry

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry to hear that @bazza1966

type 2 here, so can offer little in the way of help.
just wanted you to know someone had read the post and to hang on in there.

others with more skills will be along soon i'm sure to offer their expertise and viewpoints.

Good luck fella.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Barry,

Sorry you haven’t had any responses from people who can compare experiences.
Hopefully someone will be along soon who can compare notes.

Have any of your hospital health team been able to offer any suggestions? I can’t believe you are the first T1 heart attack patient they have seen.

bazza1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry to hear that @bazza1966

type 2 here, so can offer little in the way of help.
just wanted you to know someone had read the post and to hang on in there.

others with more skills will be along soon i'm sure to offer their expertise and viewpoints.

Good luck fella.

Thanks

bazza1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The staff both cardiac and diabetic have been great, but as we all know nothing beats experience

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bazza1966 - Sorry you've been through the wars.

Like others, I have no personal experiences to offer you, but hopefully, if we can keep your post towards to tops of the Recent Posts pages, a fellow travellor will post before too long.

In reality, it's only a few days since a major life/health event, so it could be reasonable to think your body is still recovering from all those stresses, but that's just a feeling, and not based on experience or learning.

Stay close to your medical team and don't take any chances. I do hope you're feeling better soon.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have had T1 for 41 years and had a severe heart attack last weekend. I have noticed that my blood test results rise as the day goes on despite me managing the high with extra insulin. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this. I don’t know if it’s due to additional pills for my heart or the body is still fitting the stress of the heart attack and stents. I am on 4 injections a day 3 doses of Humalog and one of Lantus. Thanks Barry
Hi Barry

It sounds like you might need to review your Lantus dose if it seems like your levels are constantly rising between boluses. I had a heart bypass in 2013 and it put my basal needs out of whack for a week or two. Probably just the body dealing with stress. Worth bringing up with your doctor.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @bazza1966 , how are you feeling now, it must of been a very scary experience for you ?
I used to work for a charity called Cardiac Rehab and the volunteer's had heart conditions, I loved the job and working with them. I hope things will get better for you, take care.

bazza1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bazza1966 , how are you feeling now, it must of been a very scary experience for you ?
I used to work for a charity called Cardiac Rehab and the volunteer's had heart conditions, I loved the job and working with them. I hope things will get better for you, take care.

Many thanks, I am actually feeling really good. Bloods still a bit high, however seems to be getting back to normal. All the rehab staff and diabetic team have been great and exercise increasing daily. Hope to be back to full fitness by the end of the month