Newly diagnosed

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am Libby, 53 and newly diagnosed with Type 2. Two main emotions - firstly angry with myself for not getting tested sooner. I had suspected it for quite a while but buried my head in the sand and let other things going on in my life get in the way. Secondly, quite scared. Trying to get my head around it and keep my spirits up. I am a deeply private person and haven't told anyone so hoping find some support and advice from people in this forum. I have some questions that I hope some of you can help with and will post those separately. Looking forward to finding some kindred spirits!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am Libby, 53 and newly diagnosed with Type 2. Two main emotions - firstly angry with myself for not getting tested sooner. I had suspected it for quite a while but buried my head in the sand and let other things going on in my life get in the way. Secondly, quite scared. Trying to get my head around it and keep my spirits up. I am a deeply private person and haven't told anyone so hoping find some support and advice from people in this forum. I have some questions that I hope some of you can help with and will post those separately. Looking forward to finding some kindred spirits!
Hello, @libbylondon , and welcome.
You have come to the right place. Please don’t be angry with yourself, and drop the negative thoughts. You will get help and support here.
First thing is to read the information @daisy1 posts for new members. She will do that here soon now I have tagged her. There is also info in my signature if you can’t wait. Have a read, and a look around the sub-forums. Feel free to ask questions. Lots of us have been in the same place emotionally as you are, and have managed to regain control of our health.
Best wishes.Pipp

Reactions: Prem51

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, @libbylondon , and welcome.
You have come to the right place. Please don’t be angry with yourself, and drop the negative thoughts. You will get help and support here.
First thing is to read the information @daisy1 posts for new members. She will do that here soon now I have tagged her. There is also info in my signature if you can’t wait. Have a read, and a look around the sub-forums. Feel free to ask questions. Lots of us have been in the same place emotionally as you are, and have managed to regain control of our health.
Best wishes.Pipp
Thanks Pipp, I appreciate that. I didn't mean to sound too negative. All my spare time at the moment is spent on reading, researching etc to find out everything I can and I am determined to get things under control. I have already lost 12 lbs and upped my exercise, so that's a start I hope.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp, I appreciate that. I didn't mean to sound too negative. All my spare time at the moment is spent on reading, researching etc to find out everything I can and I am determined to get things under control. I have already lost 12 lbs and upped my exercise, so that's a start I hope.
Good for you. I meant please don’t blame yourself.:)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Libby and welcome! Ask away with your questions there’ll always be advice available, and well done on your weight loss so far x

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome

You are feeling exactly the same as i felt on diagnosis. I felt ashamed, like I had somehow done this to myself. But you will learn as I did that that is certainly not the case.... and the reasons why. It took me a while to get my head around it. At the beginning I could only tell people I was dealing with 'high sugars' but now I tell the world I AM DIABETIC. And I hope you don't think I am being blase by saying it's not the end of the world. For me and for many of us on here it has been a blessing in disguise. Many of us are far healthier with our diabetes than before! I for one have never felt better. And I know that sticking to my new way of eating I'm going to stay fit and healthy. Everyone on here just wants to help others. There is always someone to answer your questions, however trivial you feel they are just fire away. However stupid you think they are, they really aren't, just ask. You have already made a move in the right direction, well done on your significant weight loss. And on upping your exercise, both will help you get your blood sugars down. Have you got a blood glucose testing kit. It's invaluable for learning what foods you can eat and which to avoid. And most of us find that the low carb high healthy fat way of eating gets the blood sugars right down and quite quickly. Just have a look around the site, there is a lot of information on here.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a huge thing being diagnosed. Like you I carried my suspicions around for a while hence a hbaca1 of 97 on diagnosis. What level are you at? My mum has type 2 so I should have gone to drs sooner. Having said this even if you’ve had it a while without diagnosis you can get it down quite quickly by eating the right way and looking after yourself.
Welcome on board and ask all those questions it’s a mine of information this forum and there’s masses of support On offer use it you’ll soon turn things round wishing you well.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a lucky type two in that all I need to do is eat a low carb diet and I get normal results.
The weightloss and extra activity are a result of the normalizing effect, no effort on my part.

Reactions: Prem51 and Pipp

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Secondly, quite scared. Trying to get my head around it and keep my spirits up.

I have some questions that I hope some of you can help with and will post those separately.

Looking forward to finding some kindred spirits!

Hi @libbylondon

yep i was there back in august 2018..:bigtears:

Found here and things started to turn around pretty quick.
went from all doom and gloom, to healthy (*real ) eating and from being a couch potato
i now often end up running to the train station in the morning.

my HBA1c. (.the standard for checking how we are doing over a 3 month period.).
went from 57 down to 42 during aug 12018 to jan 2019..and others have been even more impressive.

Well done on the weight loss. that's one of the first things we get told.
the bonus of the low carb high good fats, is the weight loss is almost effortless.
i have never been on a diet, and this was pure GETTING BETTER for me, but for many the
weight loss has been dramatic, and i think almost effortless

So yes, it's a shock ..and while your alone...it;s scary.,,but your not alone anymore while your on here.
and you still have that blanket of anonymity, while you work your way through those early days .
until you decide you feel more comfortable letting people know

( BUT there are more of us then you imagine out there )

I was at work talking to a customer when the subject came up, two other customers joined in once i said i was T2D.
and said they were too...i'm ok saying it, but i could see a sense of secrecy falling off their shoulders, to openly admit to it.
spoke to say thanks for the support on another forum and 3 people came on to say they were either diagnosed, recently diagnosed or pre diabetic..and one guy told me he was type 1 from age 5..and i never knew.

In my opinion there are too many type 2 diabetics, theses days to keep thinking it's just people being lazy or greedy.
our food is jammed with sugars these days and it's hard to avoid...as you'll see as you peruse the posts and links
*the HEALTHY foods they promote are far from that for us...and for many others, i believe) )

AND that Kindred spirit you are looking for..?

is almost each and everyone on here .
we've all been where you are..that startled wide eyed '*** do i do know ' moment

As for questions, The only DUMB question is the one you DON'T ask.

think of it like school..you don't know much on day one....but you'll gain knowledge.
just like we all did..

And add those bits and pieces of knowledge to your daily routine..and you'll soon find the things that work FOR YOU.
links galore, viewpoints to make you really think and ponder & a hug when things get rough...all for the all inclusive...low, low price of £0.00..:D

Welcome to your new home from home on the web.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and Rosie B

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome

You are feeling exactly the same as i felt on diagnosis. I felt ashamed, like I had somehow done this to myself. But you will learn as I did that that is certainly not the case.... and the reasons why. It took me a while to get my head around it. At the beginning I could only tell people I was dealing with 'high sugars' but now I tell the world I AM DIABETIC. And I hope you don't think I am being blase by saying it's not the end of the world. For me and for many of us on here it has been a blessing in disguise. Many of us are far healthier with our diabetes than before! I for one have never felt better. And I know that sticking to my new way of eating I'm going to stay fit and healthy. Everyone on here just wants to help others. There is always someone to answer your questions, however trivial you feel they are just fire away. However stupid you think they are, they really aren't, just ask. You have already made a move in the right direction, well done on your significant weight loss. And on upping your exercise, both will help you get your blood sugars down. Have you got a blood glucose testing kit. It's invaluable for learning what foods you can eat and which to avoid. And most of us find that the low carb high healthy fat way of eating gets the blood sugars right down and quite quickly. Just have a look around the site, there is a lot of information on here.
Thank you Deb, it means a lot that people have taken the time to reply, and I appreciate all the words of wisdom. I did buy a testing kit but struggled to get enough blood from my finger and wasn't sure what the results would mean anyway. I need to read up on it and have another try. I am also going to give lchf a try, just getting ready to start after a short trip away next week. Keeping the carbs down anyway in the meantime. Anyway, thanks again and hope I can support others on here too x

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s a huge thing being diagnosed. Like you I carried my suspicions around for a while hence a hbaca1 of 97 on diagnosis. What level are you at? My mum has type 2 so I should have gone to drs sooner. Having said this even if you’ve had it a while without diagnosis you can get it down quite quickly by eating the right way and looking after yourself.
Welcome on board and ask all those questions it’s a mine of information this forum and there’s masses of support On offer use it you’ll soon turn things round wishing you well.
Hi Shelley, my reading was 88 on diagnosis so I must have had it for a while. Hey ho, no point in regrets and it's about what I do from now on. Thanks for the good wishes and hope you are doing well yourself x

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @libbylondon

yep i was there back in august 2018..:bigtears:

Found here and things started to turn around pretty quick.
went from all doom and gloom, to healthy (*real ) eating and from being a couch potato
i now often end up running to the train station in the morning.

my HBA1c. (.the standard for checking how we are doing over a 3 month period.).
went from 57 down to 42 during aug 12018 to jan 2019..and others have been even more impressive.

Well done on the weight loss. that's one of the first things we get told.
the bonus of the low car high good fats, is the weight loss is almost effortless.
i have never been on a diet, and this was pure GETTING BETTER for me, but for many the
weight loss has been dramatic, and i think almost effortless

So yes, it's a shock ..and while your alone...it;s scary.,,but your not alone anymore while your on here.
and you still have that blanket of anonymity blanket, while you work your way through those early days .
until you decide you feel more comfortable letting people know

( BUT there are more og us then you imagine out there )

I was at work talking to a customer when the subject came up, two other customers joined in once i said i was T2D.
and said they were too...i'm ok saying it, but i could see a sense of secrecy falling off their shoulders, to openly admit to it.
spoke to say thanks for the support on another forum and 3 people came on to say they were either diagnosed, recently diagnosed or pre diabetic..and one guy told me he was type 1 from age 5..and i never knew.

In my opinion there are too many type 2 diabetics, theses days to keep thinking it's just people being lazy or greedy.
our food is jammed with sugars these days and it's hard to avoid...as you'll see as you peruse the posts and links
*the HEALTHY foods they promote are far from that for us...and for many others, i believe) )

AND that Kindred spirit you are looking for..?

is almost each and everyone on here .
we've all been where you are..that startled wide eyed '*** do i do know ' moment

As for questions, The only DUMB question is the one you DON'T ask.

think of it like school..you don't know much on day one....but you'll gain knowledge.
just like we all did..

And add those bits and pieces of knowledge to your daily routine..and you'll soon find the things that work FOR YOU.
links galore, viewpoints to make you really think and ponder & a hug when things get rough...all for the all inclusive
low, low price of £0.00..:D

Welcome to your new home from home on the web.:)
Thank you jj, your reply brought tears to my eyes - in a good way! Everything you say makes sense. I work in a big organisation and keep look round wondering who else is diabetic because statistically quite a few must be! I suppose it's that guilt that we probably only have ourselves to blame that stops us being open about it. But there are clearly lots of lovely caring people on here which I know will help hugely. Thanks again

Reactions: Rosie B and Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shelley, my reading was 88 on diagnosis so I must have had it for a while. Hey ho, no point in regrets and it's about what I do from now on. Thanks for the good wishes and hope you are doing well yourself x
Thank you - yes my hbaca1 is now 31 and I’ve lost 4 stone 10 pounds since diagnosis it works I’ve found.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you jj, your reply brought tears to my eyes - in a good way! Everything you say makes sense. I work in a big organisation and keep look round wondering who else is diabetic because statistically quite a few must be! I suppose it's that guilt that we probably only have ourselves to blame that stops us being open about it. But there are clearly lots of lovely caring people on here which I know will help hugely. Thanks again
It seems that statistically “half the nation” is either diabetic or hurtling towards it. Or are diabetic but do not know they are. That is if recent news reports are true.

Last edited:

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The feelings you have had are the same ones that crop up again and again on the forum, I’m only diagnosed a month and completely understand your feelings. Keep reading as many posts as you can here. It’s a fantastic forum full of experienced diabetics and full of great advice. The more you understand about your Diabetes, the more you have in your arsenal to deal with it. You are never alone, there’s thousands of people willing to help if you need it

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
Do not fret, and do not get wound up m`dear, it takes a wee bit of time to have it all sink in, the most important medication you will ever get is your own steely determination not to roll into a ball, or feel you have done something wrong and not tell people.
Be open about it to those you trust, it is not your fault, but now you know what has happened, you can with help from the good people here get on with your life and deal with it, right down to the supermarket shuffle, (ie) picking up items reading the Carbohydrate contents put them back and shuffle along to the next carb count.
It is not a lonely road you travel, it can be a long one, but you are never alone, not on here.:)

Rosie B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Libby, Welcome. I was in your position 4 weeks ago. HbA1c 82. I've learnt a lot from the posts. Try not to worry. We're all here to help. I'm now 12lb lighter. I'm eating Full fat everything and low/no carbs. I'm also using intermittent fasting. All this is bringing my blood sugar down. You're among Friends x