Help Me - I have completely rebelled

galgal

Help. I hit a complete downer and have rebelled completely. I was out with some friends last week for a few drinks - I was being extremely good with just diet coke - my friends got a bit "tipsy" and had no problems informing me that "It's my own fault I have diabetes as I never ate breakfast and just a little lunch etc.etc". I was a bit taken aback - I don't mind if thats how they thing but the judgemental attitude really got to me. A couple of days ago, I had a kebab, and for afters I had a FULL package of diabetic chocolate PLUS a small dark green and black chocolate AND to make matters worse I smoked two cigarettees (after giving them up months ago). I feel like a failure now and am trying to get back on track - I am especially mad because I am letting what they said get to me. :cry:

Eilean13

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Intolerance and closed minds
Don't feel too bad about things. There's a lot of ignorance out there and we have to be a bit tolerant, remember how much you knew about this blessed condition before being diagnosed. I've run up against it too and just let it go when I can because its too big a battle to fight, especially when people are tipsy.

I was diagnosed this New Year and have been really good until about three weeks ago, when I had a difficult emotional situation to deal with. Have to lose lots of weight and have managed to lose about three stone. However in the last three weeks I seem to have lost my mind. I've been eating all the wrong things and justifying it to myself. So have managed to put some back on. Feel fed up with myself and unmotivated to get back to it. I wonder and hope if these feelings will pass.

But as for you, keep your chin up, this is a marathon not a sprint.

Diane

galgal

Diane, Thank you for replying. Your post will help me. I can't believe you lost three stone since New Year - that's fantastic. Great work. Congrats. I suppose I will have to get a bit of a thick skin where this diabetes is concerned. I have to say I too thought I understood what I was eating but after attending a class over the last few weeks I now understand a lot more about food and "diet" foods. Its a real eye opener. I am on a mission to lose 10 lbs at the minute. I was doing fine until my setback.
Thanks again for your post. I think I should be on here more often instead of taking advice from people who know nothing about the disease. You are right - I knew nothing about it myself before I was diagnosed, so how can I expect them to know what they are talking about.

Eilean13

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Intolerance and closed minds
What really bugs me more than cricitism is the way people say stuff like - oh you can't have this can you whilst stuffing themselves with biscuits, cake etc.' The other evening I went round to my friends and she had bought a chocolate cake from Tesco, which she brought out to have with our coffee. Then she said, but you can't have it. Feels like having your nose rubbed in it to a degree. I know she didn't mean anything because she was so embarrassed by the situation, and she is so dippy anyway. It's things like that which serve as a reminder.

But the positive side is that you can always feel virtuous when you don't have something.

As for the diabetic chocolate, my DN said to have the real stuff, dark chocolate, but have a small amount ... can't see that happening. Don't do small amounts and have to always see the end of the bar. So I don't buy it.

If the chocolate craving gets too bad I have a 'Skinny Cow' chocolate ice lolly, does the trick and only 99 calories. Haven't looked at the carb content though. I consider this my allowed 'sin'.

It's just one day at a time with this, because if I thought it was forever on the diet I think I would go mad. Only another two stone to go !!!

Diane

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi galgal as Diane so rightly said there is a lot of ignorance out there, but not eating breakfast being a cause of diabetes is a new one on me :lol: Friends can be very cruel at times often without knowing it, it has happened to me many times and I suspect many others, put it down to the drink and move on, its certainly not worth getting upset over or losing your friends, just have a quiet word with them the next time you meet and explain that their comments hurt and also explain that the causes of diabetes are many and little understood and no one gets a choice, I know many people who live terrible lifestyles abusing their bodies almost 24/7 but they are not diabetic, my MIL is extremely obese eats a terrible diet but despite that she lives a full and active life and at 70 shows no signs of slowing down or becoming diabetic.

In every life some rain will fall, or what ever the quotation is, its your life, make the most of it and dont be too sensitive to what others may say when drunk, its their problem not yours. Put your binge behind you and move on as you were :D

anniep

Some friends - even if they lack knowledge about T2, to make you feel bad about an illness is not right.

Sometimes at times of stress we go astray and it is important not to beat yourself up about it, Just acknowledge it and move on.

Easier said than done and I know, as when things go wrong in my life I eat destructively. I am eating things and know that I shouldn't be, but can't stop.

So I am trying a new approach, as my life is very stressful at the moment. I am in the middle of changing job and moving house, and my husband has been ill, so I have given myself permission to be 'off the clock' for the duration of the move. There are times when I just couldn't exist without chocolate!

I 've decided that it's better to say to myself, 'I know this is wrong but it's for a limited time' than because I have fallen of the wagon beat myself up and stay off it for longer.

I will see how that works - it did for Christmas so hopefully it will now...

galgal

thank you everybody for your lovely posts and support. I know now that it will be here I come to for my support and to vent - at least everyone is in the situation and not looking on from the outside. Your posts has made me a lot more positive and I feel like my willpower is returning. I should be on here more often. The support and feedback is great. Thank you again , all of you.

ClaireG 06

I know what you mean about rubbing it in your face, i have so called friends who do that to! Chin up and start again. I'm sure we all have little slip ups now and again. Well i know i have :lol:

maggiemae

I have only just joined and am looking forward to reading how everyone copes with their diabetes. I have been diabetic for just over 7 years and have gone from diet to tablets then to insulin. Life has been tough lately :( and I too completely rebelled and put on a lot of weight (after having done so well to get it off). I too am fed up with people telling me what I should not eat. I know better than anyone - I have struggled with weight all my life - I am 66. I got to the stage where I couldnt be bothered to take tests, eat sensibly or exercise. I saw my diabetic team yesterday and they were wonderful. :D I expected to be 'told off' but I was really supported and now I feel ready to get back on track. It has been suggested I try Victoza. I have read lots of info on here and its a bit worrying but if it works it will be wonderful. Although its sad to know so many people struggle with eating problems it is helpful to know I am not the only one who has 'lost it'

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Unfortunately there are many myths about diabetes, and like you said before you was diagnosed you probably knew very little too, i certainly didn't know much either!

But saying that, with knowledge or not, a little bit of tact wouldn't go a miss.

I hope you corrected this mistake in thinking it's because 'you didn't eat breakfast' I know it probably took your by surprise and you probably felt quite embarrassed but until corrected they won't know any different, and as friends they should intently listen to the facts about diabetes!

It's very easy to slip up especially when you feel angry and upset, i myself try to eat healthily although i wouldn't consider myself on a diet.

Of course i use insulin as a T1 so i can easily correct high BG's but the more insulin you use the more likely you are to put on weight so i still have to think a little when i'm eating. Coming into bikini season and i have a bit of a tum, so having choccies and things i tend to feel a little guilty!

You can't reverse what you ate or anything, so there's no point beating yourself up about it. All that matters is that you forgive yourself, accept that your human and everyone slips up and get back on that wagon!

I think getting back on the wagon after a slip up takes more courage than it does to start it, it's easy to think well i've messed up so whats the point. You did it before so you can do it again!

Someone once said to me 'is it because you ate too much sugar' My reply was a stright foward 'no not at all' and i explained what Type 1 diabetes is, after this the person thanked me for setting them straight, apologised and was genuinely happy to be 'in the know'

Another person said, oh my mum has T2 diabetes you have the bad one dont you' to which my reply was 'i have a different type of diabetes, but that doesn't mean one is as bad as the other, they're both illnesses and deserve the same respect' This person was also quite happy to be informed that, and i was also happy to know i'd set the record straight one person at a time so next time they come across someone with diabetes then they will know better which in turn will help the person with diabetes as i understand it's embarrassing to 'correct' someone, but i'm afraid it needs to be done. You may find your friends will be more understanding once they know more about diabetes.

I have a friend who has a heart of gold and purposely drinks diet coke when i'm around and will make certain choices that i would like declining a pudding. i know it's because i once told her i was upset that alot of people could eat alot more than i could without thinking when i was first diagnosed. I don't think she thinks i know what she's doing but it touches me to know that she has these little thoughts bless her heart. She also asks me 'where you at?' which i know means whats your BG level? But if i'd never said that to her in the beginning maybe she wouldn't be so caring now?

Hope you feel better about it, climb back on the wagon as Diane brilliantly said 'keep your chin up, this is a marathon not a sprint.':)

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I like rubbing their ignorace back in their faces! I play badminton in the local league and if someone has made a silly comment to me I point out i'm healthier than them and do they want to get beaten on the badminton court by a diabetic? So I guess think of what you're good at, in any walk of life, then think when you're back on track how much better you'll be at it-then nobody can hurt you as you'll always be better than them at something which is something to take comfort from!

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We all fall off the wagon some time, whether it be diet, smoking, exercise or whatever.

What's done is done. Get your head straight and carry on. You sound too sensible to be derailed permanently.

It's a bit hackneyed but still true - "tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life"

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi galgal .One of my little thoughts for the day coming up :lol:
If you fell down 2 rungs of a ladder you wouldnt go back to the bottom and start to climb again.
Onwards and upwards .
CAROL

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
carty said:
Hi galgal .One of my little thoughts for the day coming up :lol:
If you fell down 2 rungs of a ladder you wouldnt go back to the bottom and start to climb again.
Onwards and upwards .
CAROL

That's excellent!

I would like to pinch that for future references if you don't mind!:)

galgal

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate your posts. You made me feel very good about myself again and I am feeling so positive again. I really want to thank you all for helping me.