Lo-Dough a success

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my husband has had his first pizza made with the Lo-Dough base I topped it with ham, pepperoni, cheese, tomato and pepper and he said if he had not known what the base was he would have thought it was a real pizza base. I will be using Lo-Dough in other ways like wraps and think it could even work as pancakes with sugar free maple syrup on them

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seen them used as a crust for pies- if you make one will you let me know if it's a success- I miss pie :)

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May well have to try it. I might just go and knock on the door.
They are made on my doorstep (3 miles away actually).

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Looks interesting, but a bit expensive at £2 - £2.50 per wrap, depending on pack size.

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 12.07.50.png

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been thinking of trying them. Once you open the pack of two can you freeze the other one?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my husband has had his first pizza made with the Lo-Dough base I topped it with ham, pepperoni, cheese, tomato and pepper and he said if he had not known what the base was he would have thought it was a real pizza base. I will be using Lo-Dough in other ways like wraps and think it could even work as pancakes with sugar free maple syrup on them

Hi pinkorchid, let us know how you found them as wraps. I think they are fine as a pizza base because the toppings cover up the consistency and taste but when I tasted one naked as it were, well I was not impressed especially as they are expensive. I think they are a bit like marmite because I know plenty of people love them, thank you.

Reactions: Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only things I would use them for are pizza bases and quiche crusts.
As wraps, garlic bread, naans and toast, I found them an Epic Fail.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve used lodough a couple of times but very mixed experiences - for me they worked as a quiche base very successfully and I also dipped bits in beaten egg to make eggy bread and this worked too. However I’m still not hooked enough to pay the amount On a regular basis as tend to prefer more seedy bread type products - and quiches are delicious with no base they are more like frittatas but they work.
@PenguinMum wrapped up well they do freeze they do dry out if left in fridge for too long even wrapped once open.

Reactions: Prem51

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seen them used as a crust for pies- if you make one will you let me know if it's a success- I miss pie :)
Do not think I will use them for pies myself but maybe they would work for a very thin crust. I would probably use them for a quiche base

Last edited:
Reactions: lovinglife

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a look at the website and they mention pasties... I do miss a proper Cornish pasty: beef skirt, potato, swede, onion, lashings of pepper, salt, and in a proper shortcrust case, none of your puff stuff. Obviously the pasty is off the list, and perhaps the potato and swede (depending on spikyness) but I wonder if Lo-dough would make an acceptable fake one for an occasional treat?

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried lo-dough and although it makes a reasonable pizza it is far too expensive for regular use. For quiche bases and pies savoury and sweet I now use coconut/almond pastry and replace some of the nut flours with a small amount of Bisquick to give some elasticity and that seems to do the trick IMHO

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a look at the website and they mention pasties... I do miss a proper Cornish pasty: beef skirt, potato, swede, onion, lashings of pepper, salt, and in a proper shortcrust case, none of your puff stuff. Obviously the pasty is off the list, and perhaps the potato and swede (depending on spikyness) but I wonder if Lo-dough would make an acceptable fake one for an occasional treat?
Well is worth a try must be ok for pies and pasties because you can roll in out

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I grabbed some last week and got make a pizza this afternoon for lunch. I have to say it wasn't half bad.

If you follow the instructions from the website and crisp the base up first in a frying pan or wok for a couple of minutes, it makes a decent base

IMG_1199.jpg

It was actually very filling and tasty.

People have already commented on the price of Lo-Dough, but if you consider £3-4 for pizza is actually good value (well I think so anyway)

I would have no problem recommending this as a base for a pizza at all. I for one will be making many more :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Do you have a link?

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I know my surgery does Gluten free bread on prescription. Now I wonder if I could get some of this stuff...