Heart attack and increase in blood sugar levels

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Had a heart attack in ED which ended in having a stent fitted In the hospital they were concerned the blood sugar level was increasing and advise came back to increase my insulin(insuman 25)from 20 units in the morning to 25 and the evening one to stay at 20.i came out tonight and have tested twice with it going up from 16.4 at the hospital to 23 and 25 at home. Had one stent fitted but other arteries nearly fully blocked but echo shows pumping good .Any idea what's going off and what to try The heart attack came out of the blue other than some on off short discomfort for Seven days lasting up to 20 minutes max

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a heart attack in ED which ended in having a stent fitted In the hospital they were concerned the blood sugar level was increasing and advise came back to increase my insulin(insuman 25)from 20 units in the morning to 25 and the evening one to stay at 20.i came out tonight and have tested twice with it going up from 16.4 at the hospital to 23 and 25 at home. Had one stent fitted but other arteries nearly fully blocked but echo shows pumping good .Any idea what's going off and what to try The heart attack came out of the blue other than some on off short discomfort for Seven days lasting up to 20 minutes max

Hill - I'm sorry you've been having a hard time of late. I'm not an insulin user, so can't comment of those aspects of your situation, but those numbers you're seeing at the moment seem a bit high.

Undoubtedle there is the potential that your recent events - heart attack, then surgery could have raised your numbers, as your body would undoubtedly have been in a stressed situation during them, then coming home my have had a bit of an impact too.

What are your bloods sitting at now? Did the hospital suggest any strategies to adopt if your bloods went high?

Hill, if in doubt, give 111 a call for guidance, and please ensure you are drinking enough, as that can held bring the numbers back down a bit.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello Hill,

I am by no means an expert but having had a fair few heart problems with cardiomyopathy I do know that some of the medications heart patients are given like diuretics and some of the blood pressure medications can cause the blood sugar to rise. That is probably why the hospital suggested that you increase your insulin.

That aside, those numbers are pretty high. Might be an idea to ring 111 and get a bit of advice, especially as you have just come out of hospital.

My DSN was really helpful in the aftermath of some of my heart troubles - perhaps give yours a ring at the surgery on Monday morning?

Hope you are feeling better soon. When I got carted into hospital with chest pains and breathlessness it seemed to come out of the blue and it was a terrible shock. Takes a while to adjust. Don't be at all surprised if you are feeling all at sea at the moment.

All the best,

P

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello Hill,

I am by no means an expert but having had a fair few heart problems with cardiomyopathy I do know that some of the medications heart patients are given like diuretics and some of the blood pressure medications can cause the blood sugar to rise. That is probably why the hospital suggested that you increase your insulin.

That aside, those numbers are pretty high. Might be an idea to ring 111 and get a bit of advice, especially as you have just come out of hospital.

My DSN was really helpful in the aftermath of some of my heart troubles - perhaps give yours a ring at the surgery on Monday morning?

Hope you are feeling better soon. When I got carted into hospital with chest pains and breathlessness it seemed to come out of the blue and it was a terrible shock. Takes a while to adjust. Don't be at all surprised if you are feeling all at sea at the moment.

All the best,

P
Yes before I came out they changed all my meds and one they added was a statin.yes ringing my nurse on monday.went from 26 to 23 in night and been 16 to 19 all day.have increased the dose as they suggested. Have spent six hours today in another of the trust's a&e depts.think it's angina .what a terrible set up ,couldn't get anyone to take us home and no local drivers.taxi back cost £30 . the ambulance Arnt allowed to take me back to the hospital I was discharged from either .So not a happy bunny over that experience .They never think about where they take you in rural areas nor that there's no late night buses between towns and many have no Sunday buses .Suppose they assume patients will walk the 20 miles even those who are heart patients

bazza1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I have just experienced something similar. I had two stents fitted and found my diabetes has been out of kilter. How have you coped, and any advice. Thanks Barry

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I have just experienced something similar. I had two stents fitted and found my diabetes has been out of kilter. How have you coped, and any advice. Thanks Barry
Been four weeks now ,still hoping the insulin ,now on 26 in morning and 26 at night and the morning bs is coming in at around 6-7 but by 10pm still in high teens with the odd rogue 23.5 .Diabetic nurse says to monitor till next hb1ac. Starting rehab next week so will see if they have any ideas