Breads!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I thought most T2s rely on HbA1c readings, so it's surely not that great a surprise?

Well, it is a surprise to me. Most of the well controlled folks on this forum, be they T2's, T1's etc don't all rely on HbA1c. It's an average, not really giving the full picture. It just shows the trend, upwards or downwards, nothing more. An indicator. People on here test frequently and especially when trying new foods. I certainly don't want to miss the spikes, and in my case, the hypo levels which are damaging. We don't follow the NHS instructions with regards to testing. I have no problem with asking for and getting test strips, my GP/Endo/DSN all like to see my Bg well controlled. If I don't have the tools to do that, I am in the dark, no idea what my daily readings are after meals, fasting etc. I like to have the facts at hand, not assume things are OK because my HbA1c is good. It is surprising what you miss out on by not testing, so, I have to advocate it if you want a true picture of Bg control. Facts.

But I had assumed that because this was the non-low carb forum and that bread was being discussed then most of those reading would be fairly tolerant of bread -

True, this is the non low carb forum, however it is read by ALL. Anybody can post here providing it is not contentious or inflammatory, we do not have demarcation lines any more. You should never assume anything, far better to have the facts to hand. I am not a low carber and I find that virtually any bread (one or two exceptions) is a danger to my BG levels, doesn't matter what it is.

There are many others like me, low and non low carbers alike, that's why we test. We are carbohydrate intolerant, the ingredient of most breads. As carbs convert directly to Glucose in the bloodstream then it is not usually a good idea to eat loads of them if you are looking for tight control. Some people are lucky and can tolerate the high carbs, some of us can't. We found that out by testing, just what I recommend to others. You don't have to....you have a choice. I prefer to be informed and know what is going on in my body.

I thought the last thing someone trying to eat healthily would use would be butter. But is there some diabetic benefit that I don't know about - please excuse my naivety, but I'm not quite a nutritional expert, yet :)

Why should you think that butter is banned from a healthy diet ? The advice from the British Heart Foundation is this: If you eat too much saturated fat, you could increase your blood cholesterol levels and raise your risk of coronary heart disease.

Very true....the advice is TOO MUCH.....not cut it out altogether, just cut down. If that is not what you wish to do then substitute butter for spreads, olive oil based preferably. I did, found them disgusting and was advised that for the amount of butter I was consuming it would have no effect on me, that from a Cardiologist. So, butter it is for me, my one indulgence, so much nicer when I do rarely have some. You can get too obsessive about some things, you are allowed the occasional treat. I am eating more healthily than I have ever done and I always use butter, better than any of these spreads which purport to give all sort of benefits and if you are worried about costs, they are usually more expensive. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

My TC level is a steady 3.2, so I am not concerned and neither are the British Heart Foundation or my Cardiologist. The benefit is taste....pure and simple. :D Satisfaction guaranteed !! :D

As I don't advocate that you use bucket's of the stuff and the last time I had a single slice of bread with butter was about two weeks ago, I don't think it's going to kill me....or you for that matter...... :wink: However, whatever you prefer, it is your choice. That's what we advocate round here.....choice. Give you the facts and you make your own mind up. It's not an instruction.

I do hope you find the time to contribute to our excellent informative forum, you should stick with it. We are all learning new things all the time, even after many years as a Diabetic. With what I have learned from this forum in the last 12 months I could probably write a book ? :twisted:

Sirius

cugila said:
Well, it is a surprise to me. Most of the well controlled folks on this forum, be they T2's, T1's etc don't all rely on HbA1c.

Indeed, but I was talking about T2s generally, not those on the forum, who are presumably on here because they take more interest in the subject than the average diabetic. Thus I was under the impression that most T2s didn't test BG - or at least not on a regular basis - but I could be wrong :oops:

It's a bit like a forum for a particular model of car that I read and sometimes post on - reading it would lead you to conclude that all the owners of that model were having huge problems with their vehicle, but of course many only visit that forum when having problems, so it's unrepresentative of the vehicle's owners generally.

My TC level is a steady 3.2, so I am not concerned and neither are the British Heart Foundation or my Cardiologist. The benefit is taste....pure and simple. :D Satisfaction guaranteed !! :D

Well I'm glad you're enjoying it and your TC is under control - mine's is a bit higher at 3.9 :(

When I was young we only ever had marg in the house (Blue Band, I think it was called) so I've never really used butter much, so don't miss it.

I'm using Tesco Healthy Living olive oil based stuff at the moment, and it's spread pretty thinly anyway, so I don't know really know what it's like taste-wise.

Obviously there's debate about the actual benefits of all these healthy living foods, but at least it makes me feel as if I'm doing what I should be :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sirius said:
I was talking about T2s generally, not those on the forum, who are presumably on here because they take more interest in the subject than the average diabetic. Thus I was under the impression that most T2s didn't test BG - or at least not on a regular basis - but I could be wrong :oops:

Oh, I see.... We on here talk about our members in the main, we are aware that there are many Diabetics who are not pro-active, we do try and reach out to them. Handing out flyers for the forum, promoting where we can. We have members who do not post but read all they can, educating themselves about all aspects of Diabetes. Hopefully some of them will eventually take a more active part. They, like the rest of us are always learning new tips and tricks that they hadn't thought of before.

We always encourage our members, T1's, T2's etc to test frequently, we do not differentiate between Types. We do not recommend relying on HbA1c as the sole test regime. We also hope that our members pass on the facts to the non members who they meet, as I do frequently. I have had some successes, however some are stuck in the 'Doc knows best....I'll do it their way.' This forum doesn't subscribe to that view at all. We promote an alternative view, from Diabetic's for Diabetic's. Seems to work well. :D

As for impressions, I have no idea where that would have come from, certainly members here would not fall into that category.

cbucks

I'm impressed by your stats mate. I'm a type two, have been for five years or so, on metformin etc and have high BP but low cholestorol, not sure why frankly.

I love bread and usually have Warburtons seeded batch or similar which is supposed to be low GI but not sure how much good it does me as it's "heavy bread" and two toasted slices in the morning is probably not the best thing for me.

To be honest I just let the doc and the pills do their bit and hope for the best most of the time, I stopped doing blood tests ages ago as they were always about the same and didn't seem to tell me anything very useful.

I'm sure I'll get told off for being a naughty boy, but that's me.

I would be interested in what regime you have followed to achieve your results however as I think it's time I started getting a bit more serious.

Chris
59 years old
16st 8lbs

wallycorker said:
Hi,

I've tried and tested very many types of bread - including various wholegrain, Burgen Soya and Linseed, different rye breads including several German types.

They all do one thing to me and that is put my blood glucose levels into double figures!

The same applies to cereals!

Because of that, I've just about stopped eating those two food types and seen much improved blood glucose readings as a result.

Best wishes - John

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Chucks,

From personal observation, a lot of people do enough to get their BG to "reasonable levels" and then live on autopilot. The problem is with that process, is that if you are achieving HBA1C of higher than 6 (some say higher than 7), then you are incurring slow but significant damage, which at some stage may become irreversible.
The issue is, that it takes much less effort to get your HBA1C into the 5's from a starting point of say 7 to 8, than it is to get down to 7 or 8 in the first place.
If a job is worth doing it is worth doing well, so do your homework and we look forward to welcoming you to the 5% club!!.

Good Luck - Steve.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
The carb level increases by about 1-2g when Bread is toasted. As to whether or not it increases YOUR
Bg levels, the only way to find out is to test before and after each type. Personally, it has never increased my Bg levels.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
The carb level increases by about 1-2g when Bread is toasted. As to whether or not it increases YOUR
Bg levels, the only way to find out is to test before and after each type. Personally, it has never increased my Bg levels.

Didn't know that! :eek:

I eat toast everyday, much prefer bread toasted even when I have a sandwich. Can't say that I've noticed a difference in my bg when eating bread, toasted or otherwise, but this may not be the case with other people.

Nigel

yipster29

I'm T1 for 18 months and best I've found is the Nimble wholemeal at 9g per slice. That has less effect than the warburtons seeded batch and it's sooooo nice to have poached eggs on toast again without going dizzy high :-D

dib

dean123 said:
hi i am new to the forum, can you help me were do you buy burgen bread from? thanks dean

I think you will find most supermarkets sell it. Our local Tesco and Waitrose do.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
ASDA as well (£1/loaf at present)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was £1 a loaf the other day in Sainsbury's too.

Angie

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
My local Tesco's has stopped selling it and when I complained I was told there was no call for it.

I explained that it was pretty much the only bread I can eat without spiking my bg and that there were 70,000 diabetics in the town where they are but they have not reintroduced it. :cry:

It is still sold at the larger Tesco Superstore about 4 or 5 miles away though, shame diesel is now £6.36 a gallon :roll:

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid Bonkers said:
My local Tesco's has stopped selling it and when I complained I was told there was no call for it.

I explained that it was pretty much the only bread I can eat without spiking my bg and that there were 70,000 diabetics in the town where they are but they have not reintroduced it. :cry:

It is still sold at the larger Tesco Superstore about 4 or 5 miles away though, shame diesel is now £6.36 a gallon :roll:

Tesco's sell it instore round here (so far) but won't deliver it for online shopping. Sainsbury's will though and if you have a delivery mid week over a certain amount they deliver free....so I use Sainsburys to get it delivered instead if I don't get near any stores.
Regards
Angie

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iceland do burgen bread at 2 for £2 this seems to be a regular thing not just an offer for a limited period. I find that it freezes well and is great for cheese on toast.
CAROL

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
carty said:
I find that it freezes well and is great for cheese on toast.
CAROL

Cheese on toast could easily warrant its own thread :D

I used to like it with Worcestershire sauce, not something I've eaten since you know what though

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
carty said:
Iceland do burgen bread at 2 for £2 this seems to be a regular thing not just an offer for a limited period. I find that it freezes well and is great for cheese on toast.

It is a regular thing Carol and this offer has been ongoing for the last 2 years! :)

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
Cheese on toast could easily warrant its own thread :D

I used to like it with Worcestershire sauce, not something I've eaten since you know what though

Mmmm.......cheese on toast with a splash of Worcester, I could be persuaded to have some later tonight! :wink:

Nigel

galgal

I have been eating sourdough bread and I love it. I have to eat carbs with every meal - up to 6 per day - I eat the sourdough dry (no butter or olive oil). Its a bread with hard crust which I like. I think some people might call it Polish bread. If you google it, tests have shown it may very well be better than wholemeal, because of the acidity and process in baking. Overall I find the Polish or German breads seem to work better than the sliced pans etc we have in the supermarkets.