Type 3c - how many are we?

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I developed type 3C ten years after my last attack of pancreatitis ( Which previously was chronic). I'm insulin dependent and my blood sugars can be very brittle.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Shar67! @eddie1968 , type 3c never occurs in isolation it is always part of a wider group of pancreatic problems that effect both the exocrine and endocrine systems due to the extensive damage (or death to the pancreas). In type 1, the beta cells are damaged/destroyed but in type 3c it is both the beta cells and the alpha cells (liver) that are involved meaning there is no 'safety net' hence the sudden rises and falls in blood sugars for no apparent reason. This is quite a good linkhttp://www.pancreapedia.org/reviews/pancreatogenic-type-3c-diabetes

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I became type 3 after a Whipple operation as pre cancerous cells were discovered on the head of my pancreas. I had a total pancrectomy ,my spleen, and gall bladder were removed. It has left me very brittle, but with the help of a pump, and sensor, and a very supportive diabetes team my life is beginning to be more normal. I no longer suffer panic attacks, and after doing the DAFNE course, and many hours of tuition from the diabetes team I have learnt how to manage my diabetes.

Grazer

Emma, as far as I know Type 1.5 is officially an unofficial (?) term for A type of lada, which is latent autoimmune disease in adults, so a bit like type 1 occurring later in life - I'm sure a real type 1.5 on here can correct me!

Reactions: Simon84

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Emma, as far as I know Type 1.5 is officially an unofficial (?) term for A type of lada, which is latent autoimmune disease in adults, so a bit like type 1 occurring later in life - I'm sure a real type 1.5 on here can correct me!
You are quite correct-That's what I have myself :)

Phil007007

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
As type 3c is a rare form of diabetes, and as we now have our own sub-forum, I'm curious to know how many of us are accessing the forum! So are you a member of the 3c club?? Sue xx
I'm type 3c because my pancreas has atrophied and I have cirrhosis so my liver isn't in good shape either, they are treating it as type1 but I just have to inject one large dose every morning.

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I am type 3c, I was being treated for T2 and questioned the diagnosis after reading an article on the One Drop Forum about those suffering from pancreatitis. I have a history of gastric problems and was diagnosed with pancreatitis 2010. I’ve had no problems since then other than higher BG over the last few years. I’ve not got cirrhosis and am right on target for my BMI. The diagnosis was reviewed after I mentioned possibly being misdiagnosed.

StephenMM

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Running
Hello everyone,
I’m a newly enrolled member of the Type 3c Diabetes community having had my Pancreas, Gall Bladder and Spleen removed in February 2019. I had earlier had no inkling that I had a problem with my pancreas !!
After 17 days in hospital I have now been home for five weeks. The surgery went well and my Consultant is very pleased with my progress. I am struggling with getting my BG consistently under control and find it frustrating that so few of the medical community seem to understand that Type 3c is not exactly the same as Type 1. I am already being encouraged to change my insulin for the third time in five weeks and each time my readings go haywire.
I look forward to comparing notes with others in a similar condition.
Stephen

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As type 3c is a rare form of diabetes, and as we now have our own sub-forum, I'm curious to know how many of us are accessing the forum! So are you a member of the 3c club?? Sue xx

Yes, I subscribe to this Forum because I had a Beger's in 2009 and then had the remainder of my pancreas removed in 2009

tamar

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Must admit I do not read the forum very often. Had a total pancreatectomy in 2009, 10 years this year and life going reasonably well, with the occasional hiccup! Find being a type 3c presents a multitude of challenges, including the annoying interruption in Creon availability and the ongoing 'brittle nature' of the diabetes but I have learnt to expect the unexpected and deal with it

tamar

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,
I’m a newly enrolled member of the Type 3c Diabetes community having had my Pancreas, Gall Bladder and Spleen removed in February 2019. I had earlier had no inkling that I had a problem with my pancreas !!
After 17 days in hospital I have now been home for five weeks. The surgery went well and my Consultant is very pleased with my progress. I am struggling with getting my BG consistently under control and find it frustrating that so few of the medical community seem to understand that Type 3c is not exactly the same as Type 1. I am already being encouraged to change my insulin for the third time in five weeks and each time my readings go haywire.
I look forward to comparing notes with others in a similar condition.
Stephen
The early days are the worst 'hang in' there Stephen it does get better. 10 years ago I had a total pancreatectomy, still find things hard at times but overall once you understand your body and its responses to the regime you will begin to cope better.

Jac1605

Hi, new type 3c here. Had pancreatic cancer operated on in March 2019, losing most of the pancreas (and spleen), and my last clinic appt on 10 May had them assuring me that I seemed to have escaped diabetes as a side effect. On 19 May I was admitted to hospital with DKA, so I guess that was not true!

I've been bombarded with information but so much of it is "well, follow T1 instructions" and almost no one knows what T3c is!

(I've been on Creon since Jan 2019 but I'm still having side-effects that mean I'm a long way from eating well yet.)

Loughrigg

I’m a rare visitor to this forum (sorry), so hadn’t seen the T3 sub-forum before. I’ve struggled for years to properly describe my form of diabetes to medics/nurses, with so many not properly understanding the fundamental differences between T1 and T2, let alone anything else. If I start talking to them about T3, the eyes will really glaze over.

My “journey” into diabetes started with misdiagnosis/mistreatment of a gallstone. Two visits to A&E with severe abdominal pains resulted in discharge and “not heart attack; something gastric; see your GP” advice. The third time (blue lights, sirens etc.) was taken a little more seriously, but too late. I was in hospital for seven months, in intensive care for weeks and “technically” died a number of times from multiple organ failure. Major surgery to remove my gall bladder and various bits of necrotic tissue followed a while later.

In the midst of all the drama, leaking enzymes “digested” various internal structures including 96% of my pancreas and beta-cells. On hospital documentation, I’m identified as having “severe acute pancreatitis”. I no longer produce insulin or digestive enzymes, so I require injections (Novorapid and Lantus) and Creon tablets to keep things ticking over.

I’m not sure whether or not that qualifies me as a member of the T3c club.

Last edited:

ROMEO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a rare visitor to this forum (sorry), so hadn’t seen the T3 sub-forum before. I’ve struggled for years to properly describe my form of diabetes to medics/nurses, with so many not properly understanding the fundamental differences between T1 and T2, let alone anything else. If I start talking to them about T3, the eyes will really glaze over.

My “journey” into diabetes started with misdiagnosis/mistreatment of a gallstone. Two visits to A&E with severe abdominal pains resulted in discharge and “not heart attack; something gastric; see your GP” advice. The third time (blue lights, sirens etc.) was taken a little more seriously, but too late. I was in hospital for seven months, in intensive care for weeks and “technically” died a number of times from multiple organ failure. Major surgery to remove my gall bladder and various bits of necrotic tissue followed a while later.

In the midst of all the drama, leaking enzymes “digested” various internal structures including 96% of my pancreas and beta-cells. On hospital documentation, I’m identified as having “severe acute pancreatitis”. I no longer produce insulin or digestive enzymes, so I require injections (Novorapid and Lantus) and Creon tablets to keep things ticking over.

I’m not sure whether or not that qualifies me as a member of the T3c club.

Similar position to you in taking Creon as well as insulin. I feel your journey

With respect to Creon I'm finding if I sometimes forget to take it out I can get away with eating say a baguette filled sandwich without too many problems but on the other hand have heard some people can't eat anything at all without taking Creon.

How is it with you?

Honeyend

With respect to Creon I'm finding if I sometimes forget to take it out I can get away with eating say a baguette filled sandwich without too many problems but on the other hand have heard some people can't eat anything at all without taking Creon.

How is it with you?

Honeyend

I am a very newly diagnosed one, sat in hospital bed with a feed pump.
Luckily for me I am HCP who already knew about this board so I have a place to go for help.
I had been LC for a while so every thing they offer me is too **** sweet. Sticky toffee pudding anyone?

ed. By mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalkeyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 3c as a consequence of untreated genetic haemochromatosis (GH). I can't emphasise too much the importance of early diagnosis and treatment (simple venesection). Most GPs no little about GH and will attribute any abnormal blood tests to alcohol intake or other explanation - anything but this hereditary condition which leads to progressive bodily iron overload and eventual pancreatic, liver and other damage.
If in doubt, always challenge/educate your GP.

MagsYB

Hi, I was told around 3 months ago by my practice nurse that I had type 2, HbA1c of 42 and fasting bloods of 7.2 and 7.4. There was nothing mentioned regarding the fact I had Pancreatic Cancer in 2011. I eat relatively healthily and don't smoke or drink. I wasn't satisfied with the lack of info I received so I done a lot of research into Type 3c, 1.5 or Pancreatogenic Diabetes also learning the different names for it. I printed off the info and took it to my GP and she had never heard of it but read the info and contacted the Endocrinologist at the local hospital. I seen him on Tuesday and he confirmed that I had Pancreatic Diabetes. My cholesterol was perfect, HbA1c very good, said I was not overweight so now I have the correct diagnosis and will be attending him. Hopefully others in the same situation will also question their GP.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

How is it with you?

Hi I always take my Creon but sometimes it has no effect whatsoever so I have to increase my dose. The latter happens even if I eat exactly the same food. Variable results and blood sugars practically impossible to predict but I do monitor regularly. However my Hb was 6.6