Beware the Bacon

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
things might have changed since 2009, when that article was written.
Yes there has been more recent studies that say the opposite/ I quote from a vegetarian publication that triumphantly trumpets those findings. The intro to the report in JAMA starts
"
A new study published in JAMA Internal Medicine indicates that vegetarians may be at lower risk for colorectal cancer than non-vegetarians, according to a Medscape report.

The study involved a large observational cohort of Seventh-Day Adventists. The researchers found that vegetarians had a 22 percent lower risk of colorectal cancer than those who ate meat. Unexpectedly, pescovegetarians had a 43 percent risk reduction
."

This study is actually the ADVENT2 study that has been shown to be totally biassed, poor methodology, and incorrect statistical analysis. The study was paid for, performed entirely by the 7th Day Adventist Church, and had NO independant peer review done on it. It is a Prospective study in that it uses observational data collection, and that method cannot in any way prove any cause. This same study data is used to underpin the claims being made by the WFPB fraternity, and has also appeared in the WHO meta studies, and forms part of the EAT-Lancet report on a sustainble diet for 2050.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just bought some nitrite-free Naked Bacon from Sainsbury’s just because, while I’m not normally one to be sucked in by epidemiological ‘evidence’, it seems to fit better with my way of living. If I remember then I’ll update this thread with how it tastes. If I survive the chemo that is...
Ive been using naked bacon for some time - have tried smoked, unsmoked, streaky, back, plain sausages, cumberland sausages and the 2 varieties of ham
What Ive found is
- ham is quite nice flavourwise, although one varity was rather thin, insubstantial and a bit watery for my liking
- I prefer the smoked rather than unsmoked bacons - strange as when I used to eat the more commonly available bacon I strongly preferred unsmoked
- personally I wasnt keen on either variety of sausage but theres been very few flavours Ive ever liked other than merguez and similar spicey sausages

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today on the Beeb News there was an interview with a scientist involved with the WHO investigations into processd meats being asssociated with colorectal cancer. The headline being pushed by the Beeb was that the Government was not doing enough to reduce consumption of red meat and processed meat.
The scientist being intereviewed was quite clear, the evidence from mice experiments and processed meats containing Nitrites had shown a small hazard associated with nitrites. Feeding the mice foods without nitrite showed no correlation, but when nitrites were added then there was a small negative effect that was noted, but the study was generally non conclusive. Note: the effect is due to nitrites added to meat, and not nitrates which most UK meat suppliers use today. The scientist also pointed out that carrots and other root veg and spinach also contain nitrites naturally, but were not investigated during the study which was limited to animal products only and in fact only beef products to boot.

However the scientist pointed out that some firms on the continent were now supplying nitrite free products, but the UK did not support this. So the scientist was saying there are solutions, but the Beeb ended up saying we should cut bacon and ham and sausages from our food supply entirely.

I have found the study that the scientist Denny Corpet published:

Pierre F, Freeman A, Tache S, van der Meer R, Corpet DE
Beef meat and blood sausage promote the formation of azoxymethane-induced mucin-depleted foci and aberrant crypt foci in rat colons.
J Nutr. 2004; 134: 2711-2716

Denny said approx 100 people a day get colorectal cancer diagnosis, and about 10 of them could be due to processed meat. So if he is talking about UK then it is a low incidence rate in 65M population, or if WHO is talking global cases, then it is in 6.5 B population.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Denny said approx 100 people a day get colorectal cancer diagnosis, and about 10 of them could be due to processed meat.
I saw the scientist and what he said seemed balanced saying his experiments were on mice etc. So that was a leap to10% of colorectal cancer could be from processed meat. Of course if you you use the word "could" then 1% or 50% would also be true but it doesn't sound much like proof.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw the scientist and what he said seemed balanced saying his experiments were on mice etc. So that was a leap to10% of colorectal cancer could be from processed meat. Of course if you you use the word "could" then 1% or 50% would also be true but it doesn't sound much like proof.
I got the impression he was not claiming proof and indeed said the study was largely inconclusive. I think he was just trying to give indicative values to the interviewer to back his previous statements that the effect was small. I thought he was well balanced, but the spin added by the Beeb seemed to be someone else's agenda.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The way I see it is........we will all die at some point, whether its from an accident or illness........if I die whilst eating a lovely bit of well cooked juicy bacon you can bet there will be a smile on my face.........:hungry:

D

Deleted member 308541

if I die whilst eating a lovely bit of well cooked juicy bacon you can bet there will be a smile on my face.........:hungry:
This is the way to go, beats dyeing from choking to death on some vegan pretend lentil bacon.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago I used to work in Libya. I used to travel in once every two months. Those expats that lived there all the time used to hanker for bacon and sausages and would ask those travelling in and out to bring some in on the way in. Which I did. However, as I checked through immigration I was asked to open my suitcase where a couple of packs of fine bacon were found inside. The official seized the bacon keeping it arms length and then threw it on the floor. After a few further checks he closed my case and waved me on. :)